• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any clinic members ever doped?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Gavandope said:
I've overdosed on vodka/red bull with an all day night session at notting hill carnival and also and an espresso session like landis - I don't recommend either though the former if you forget to drink a litre of water before passing out can leave you with a monumental hangover!

I've found RBV to be a tremendous performance enhancer after midnight. One or two allows me to go til 5am....3 and I'll be up through the whole next day. My friends and I resort to it when we get tired at midnight on night three of mancation in Vegas. Yes, I know we're idiots.

May 15, 2012
Visit site
SundayRider said:
I just personally could never rationalise why.

It's easy to rationalise it when you consider groups of people form with a common interest who then form a group mentality which then makes decisions easier to do something 'as part of the group' as opposed to if they were on their own.

Part of the reason doping is so rife in normal day to day life is because the internet has created a way for people to be part of a group/culture that exposes them to things that normally they wouldn't be a part of.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Took some roids as you all seem to call them - was into body building at the time, but it wasn't for competing so I guess I doped sort of...but that was many moons ago.

Most recently I was having vitamin b and vitamin d injections - mostly trying to recover from illness and of course my symbicort inhaler this winter where I am has been wreaking havoc on my lungs.

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD in my early teens and was prescribed Ritalin, which I used on race day right up to my early 20's when I accepted that I wasn't turning pro. This was legal (TUE) and I only took it 30mins before and maybe with 45 mins to go in a long road race, no other times ever. That was a pretty big jolt to the system - a real pick me up, no need for caffeine!!! Ibuprofen occasionally for stage races, usually when not feeling great and you know you're in for a hard day. Asthma inhalers were handy for hard crits and handicap races if you could get hold of them too, had to be careful with those later on though ;)

I also used to drink home made frozen slushies with a bit of glycerol for better hydration and lower freezing temperatures before races on very hot days, I understand that it's on the banned list now?

42x16ss said:
I was misdiagnosed with ADHD in my early teens and was prescribed Ritalin, which I used on race day right up to my early 20's when I accepted that I wasn't turning pro. This was legal (TUE) and I only took it 30mins before and maybe with 45 mins to go in a long road race, no other times ever. That was a pretty big jolt to the system - a real pick me up, no need for caffeine!!! Ibuprofen occasionally for stage races, usually when not feeling great and you know you're in for a hard day. Asthma inhalers were handy for hard crits and handicap races if you could get hold of them too, had to be careful with those later on though ;)

I also used to drink home made frozen slushies with a bit of glycerol for better hydration and lower freezing temperatures before races on very hot days, I understand that it's on the banned list now?

How many pills of ritalin did you take each time? Do you remember how strong they were? I think the standard is 10mg, so it would surprise me if you had anything different.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I do kinda feel sad for people who dope though, they seem to have a low self esteem. I mean, they cannot accept the fysiologic bounderies of there own body.

I wasn't going to post here since I have never used PEDs in my life.
But then I read this post and I felt like sharing my experience.

I have no engine whatsoever. 4 litres lung capacity, chronical asthma, 41 avg hematocrit and by my understanding not much efficiency either.
I couldn't even keep up with my mates when running in primary school. I tried swimming, but never managed any result even when training harder than my teammates.
So I chose sports where skills matter more, at least when you're a kid. One thing I was good at: coordination. I could pick up any sport fundamental at ease. I played tennis and basketball for years, with fruitful results. It didn't last long though.

Even in a team sport like basketball, even if you're clearly the most skilled player on the court (which was often the case for me), you can't be the best player at the end of the game without a good engine. You feel dead legs and you tell yourself this must be the same for eveybody. But then your teammate rebounds the ball and sparks the fast break and you see guys sprinting like it's still the first quarter. And you're left hopeless.

Three years ago I told myself this was never gonna happen again. We finished the season in mid June and from the day after I did nothing but training. I runned and swimmed and rode my bike for the whole summer. Every day. I felt I was improving.
Then we started training camp, I was running with the best for the first time in my life. I smiled. But they had done nothing the whole summer, while I had suffered like never before.
Early October, first game of the season, 4th quarter. I rebound the ball and sprint for the fast break. And I feel it again. Dead legs. Everybody is sprinting like they've been training the whole summer. And I can't.

That was the day I told myself I was gonna use PEDs. I felt like nature had been unfair to me. Yes, I couldn't accept my body boundaries. And yes, I wanted to be better than all of them who did nothing the whole summer, even if it was a stupid 8th division game.
I didn't sleep at all that night. Then, the day after, I thought about it again and let it go, I didn't need to be the best, I just wanted to have fun and be healthy.

But deep inside of me I can still feel it: the desire to overcome my own body boundaries. I learnt to cope with them, but I can empathize with people who can't.

Energy Starr said:
Why Alka Seltzer?

Two of Alka Seltzer's active ingredients, sodium hydrogen carbonate and citric acid, are antacids / Acid buffers.

The idea is that they somehow bind with lactate during exercise.

Sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate: ergogenic aids?

"...A majority of the studies have suggested that the ingestion of both substances provides an ergogenic effect due to the establishment and maintenance of an elevated pH level during exercise. However, the exact mechanism by which the ergogenic effects occur has not been demonstrated conclusively. Sodium bicarbonate and Na-citrate seem to be effective in activities with a sufficient duration to generate a difference in the hydrogen ion gradient, characterized by a very high intensity and involving large muscular groups. However, in activities of equally high intensity, but with longer duration, the results obtained have been conflicting and inconclusive. ..."

Neither sodium hydrogen carbonate, citric acid, sodium citrate nor sodium bicarbonate are on the WADA list.

Dave.

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Two of Alka Seltzer's active ingredients, sodium hydrogen carbonate and citric acid, are antacids / Acid buffers.

The idea is that they somehow bind with lactate during exercise.

Sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate: ergogenic aids?

"...A majority of the studies have suggested that the ingestion of both substances provides an ergogenic effect due to the establishment and maintenance of an elevated pH level during exercise. However, the exact mechanism by which the ergogenic effects occur has not been demonstrated conclusively. Sodium bicarbonate and Na-citrate seem to be effective in activities with a sufficient duration to generate a difference in the hydrogen ion gradient, characterized by a very high intensity and involving large muscular groups. However, in activities of equally high intensity, but with longer duration, the results obtained have been conflicting and inconclusive. ..."

Neither sodium hydrogen carbonate, citric acid, sodium citrate nor sodium bicarbonate are on the WADA list.

Dave.

Thanks, I never knew.

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I like a few shots of salbutamol before a run. I get a new inhaler about 2x annually, as I get occasional seasonal (spring) asthma, linked to hay fever. I think any benefit is psychosomatic but you never know.

When running an 'event' (I run half marathons) I carry a couple of non prescription PKs which I was given several years ago for knee pain, and tend to deck them on the way round. Came in handy in Prague where I tore a calf muscle at about 14k.

I did £50 of clen last autumn in the hope I might lose a bit of holidays fat - trawled the BB and other forums a lot to swot up - it didn't do much for me, and I probably didn't train enough to maximise the value, but I was very good value in the morning meetings at work for those few weeks.

Purpose of posting this, I suppose, is to show that PEDs are accessible, at least at the entry level, as well as to share a joke about my uselessness with clen.

PS I am of an age where I don't even win my own name group!

ToreBear said:
How many pills of ritalin did you take each time? Do you remember how strong they were? I think the standard is 10mg, so it would surprise me if you had anything different.
10 mg, immediate release. This is the standard dose for immediate release capsules, some prolonged release ones are 20mg. Usually one was plenty but if I wasn't feeling too fresh I occasionally took two.

Some 35 years ago when I was playing major collegiate tennis, I was travelling to so many tournaments that I was having difficulty getting all my studies in. Large caffeine intake via coffee, Coke, NoDoz, etc really upset my stomach. A teammate handed me this little white pill, called it super NoDoz and said it would allow me to stay up late into the night so I could cram for my exams. I was pretty naive and didn't realize initially that it was speed. It worked like a charm for a short while allowing me to practice longer with greater energy and sustained concentration, all the while allowing me to stay up for long studying periods when needed. Of course you had to deal with the eventual crash and occasional jitters.

Finally after about 2 months I discontinued the stuff when I had to be told during a particular match warm up that I was hitting with my racquet cover still on my racquet. With that level of confusion I couldn't begin to concentrate well enough in order to keep score during the match. On the final point my opponent netted a volley and walked to the net with his hand extended, while I, not realizing the match was over just stood at the baseline confused. He had more than a few choice words for me, all of which I deserved, and after that I never took the stuff again.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
robow7 said:
Finally after about 2 months I discontinued the stuff when I had to be told during a particular match warm up that I was hitting with my racquet cover still on my racquet. With that level of confusion I couldn't begin to concentrate well enough in order to keep score during the match.

what comes to one's mind are all those 2nd confused "winners", sprinting and celebrating, or maybe also forgetting you're eating one handed going down a speedy rainy descent full of hidden potholes

Add me to the list - due to a severe allergic reaction I had to make a trip to the ER - since then they've pumped with epinephrine, decadron, albuterol, zantac, hydroxizine, diphenhydramine... not even sure why I'm still even breathing and have a pulse, but there we have it.

I have to say I do feel a bit jacked up, but the rash, hives, incessant itching and shortness of breath didn't really make this high pleasant.

Anyhoo, for now I'm an official doper until the allergist figures out what I had such a bad reaction to.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I was an amateur between 1996 and 1998 and had never heard of EPO at all until the Festina affair.

Of my collegues absolutely nobody and I mean nobody, did anything significant as pro rider. One of them is team manager of Tom Dumoulin right now. ;)

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm allergic to some trees around here, so sometimes take a cetirizine (anti-histamine) to prevent coughing/shortness of breath. I've never formally raced, but also taken it before some 'challenging' rides - it seems to open my lungs out a lot.
I have hip problems so ride on paracetamol 90% of the time. I've recently trapped a nerve, so am also taking ibuprofen. I've not noticed a difference with the latter, but the former certainly helps with the aches and pains.

I also have a dihydrocodeine stash, but I don't take it before rides as it affects my reflexes, which are bad enough as it is.