• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought specialized was the preferred manufacturer of the pros these days
Until recently, yes…

I think after the Cervelo hype of 2004-2008, we currently see another Cervelo hype. I think Cervelo currently are considered being the fastest bikes on earth, and probably all about 20 WT teams would love to ride them.

They however only supply Jumbo atm, afaik… :)

Reactions: scribers
We'll see if the one million eventually will be paid :) My guess is: no.

For van Aert it's currently around 600k. Was 1,2 million at some point. Now if i understand correctly the case is at the last instance that will award that 600k or 0. In any case i doubt van Aert salary was 600k or 1,2 million at the point of transfer. Add to it the legal fees.

Bottom line forget about getting Cian for 100k. And then selling him for a couple of millions? Where indeed did you get such ideas.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Until recently, yes…

I think after the Cervelo hype of 2004-2008, we currently see another Cervelo hype. I think Cervelo currently are considered being the fastest bikes on earth, and probably all about 20 WT teams would love to ride them.

They however only supply Jumbo atm, afaik… :)
Are they? Their time trial bike wasn't especially fast this year. Except for that one time trial in the Tour of course :)

For van Aert it's currently around 600k. Was 1,2 million at some point. Now if i understand correctly the case is at the last instance that will award that 600k or 0. In any case i doubt van Aert salary was 600k or 1,2 million at the point of transfer. Add to it the legal fees.

Bottom line forget about getting Cian for 100k. And then selling him for a couple of millions? Where indeed did you get such ideas.
That was a cyclocross team that was all about Van Aert and almost nothing else. They probably had a stronger case that they were being robbed (in their view) of their livelihoods.

If the deal was done and agreed to this summer. But this late comes with additional damages. Bora can't hire a substitute now.
Yes, thats true. They probably will sue for compensation. Bad situation for them. Visma gets the "dream rider" and Bora is now left with one open spot and its probably to late to get a new rider while Uijdebroeks and Visma clearly played against the rules.

If I'm Denk the way notJumbo is handling this, with the training camp and all, would cause me to insist on a full million dollars buy out or I'd just sit the rider on the sidelines for a year.
It's not Denk who gets to decide whether Uijtdebroeks is allowed to ride. It's the UCI. They can't block the transfer, but they can block him from actually racing. And of course the UCI, with its heavy French influence, aren't exactly the biggest fans of Visma, so they'll probably be inclined to do so. Question is whether they can provide a legal basis for it.

Reactions: pastronef
It's not Denk who gets to decide whether Uijtdebroeks is allowed to ride. It's the UCI. They can't block the transfer, but they can block him from actually racing. And of course the UCI, with its heavy French influence, aren't exactly the biggest fans of Visma, so they'll probably be inclined to do so. Question is whether they can provide a legal basis for it.

According to Slovenian article, the president of the council making this decision is from Belgium.

Either Uijtdebroeks's termination of his contract with Bora was lawful or it wasn't. If the latter, then it is up to Denk to decide.

Their main goal, winning the Tour? Like they weren't going to try that with Uijtdebroeks still on the team?

Bora actually brought Roglič not only to win races but to be a mentor to Cian. Considering Roglič has a much better track record in that compared to lets say Vlasov. Pun intended. Cian rather chose Jonas. Well, so be it. Now i guess other cyclists at Bora will get more opportunities and Roglič will likely need to prolong his career.

Under which rule?

If both teams won't reach an agreement, then as far as i understand, article i mentioned above, there is a council that will decide, lead by a Belgian, on which contract is binding and hence for which team Cian will be registered to ride for in the 2024 season. If for example Bora would not agree with the decision, then they can go to court, likely Austria, labour law. Seeking compensation. If the council decides in favour of Bora. Then i guess, considering on how things stand ATM, Cian will train with Visma and race for Bora in 2024 season.

Under which rule?
They'll figure something out :)

It's what the good people at Sporza have reported. They can't block the transfer, but they can block him from racing. I haven't read the UCI rulebook myself, I must admit. Although I do think there's precedent in other sports, football most notably of course. You can't simply change teams at any time you like and participate in the Champions League.

• Haha
Reactions: ManicJack
Bora actually brought Roglič not only to win races but to be a mentor to Cian. Considering Roglič has a much better track record in that compared to lets say Vlasov. Pun intended. Cian rather chose Jonas. Well, so be it. Now i guess other cyclists at Bora will get more opportunities and Roglič will likely need to prolong his career.

Where's the pun? None of them are track riders.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
They'll figure something out :)

If they would be a government they could just print one million. Now they will need to give a third back. Out of their own pocket. To keep two thirds they got for the King and to keep the prince. Now on who made a better deal. Getting Rogla for 2 millions or getting Cian for one. In my opinion you should give just enough that it hurts a little. As that shows commitment. Only time will tell.

It's life.