• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the real working life people normally don't say that the employer is really bad and that the colleagues are bad publicy.
You tell that your employer and not the next best newspaper. In my option the employer is bad if he doesn't listen but he has every right to be pissed if you do it like Uijtebroeks.
Let's analyze what he has actually said that is so terrible. At the end of the Vuelta, Vlasov started attacking him and he expressed surprise about that. And he was right, it was a bit odd. In the Chrono des Nations, his spare TT bike wasn't properly prepared so when he had a mechanical it was basically race over. He said if I want to improve in time trialing, we need to at least have our bikes prepared.

Wow, shocking. Such a drama queen. To native speakers he's more known for his endearing, almost childlike excitement in post-race interviews. Please don't turn him into another media trained zombie.

Honestly, I don't understand the criticism and fuss on the Vlasov move. It's not like Vlasov was 10th Overall and Cian 3rd or 4th, or Cian was dropped and Vlasov tried to upper the pace to prevent him from coming back.

They were just seconds apart in GC and Aleks attack came on a standstill in the GC group. This attack did not hamper Cian on the big picture of the race.
Indeed, they were 7th and 8th, and Vlasov did everything in his power to make sure this would change. It's not like Vlasov could've become 6th in the GC, he was 4min behind Mas. It's also not like he could've won the stage, they were 10min behind.

So the only reason he attacked was to attack his teammate. It's a *** move.

I like his interviews, too. Denk is relativley chilled about things like that, because he also speaks quite directly.
I still think the things Uijtebroeks said are not for the public and I also think he isn't really right about it.
DSM would have put him in prison and teams like JV, Ineos and UAE wouldn't tolerante it either.
You could probably behave that way, when you have won some major and big races. You are one of the best riders in the world and winning races on a consistent basis.

Because thats just life for anyone who is extremely good at something. Because life isnt fair.

Cian has 0 pro wins and wont get the benefit of the doubt, right now.

His comments and accusations are just a foolish thing to do publicly. He has put a lot of pressure on himself now, the unnecessary kind. The smartest thing to do would have been to keep his mouth quiet and just kept it inhouse, if he had any concerns. He has put himself in a corner now. His own doing. Just start winning some big races Cian and you can start saying whatever.

I like his interviews, too. Denk is relativley chilled about things like that, because he also speaks quite directly.
I still think the things Uijtebroeks said are not for the public and I also think he isn't really right about it.
DSM would have put him in prison and teams like JV, Ineos and UAE wouldn't tolerante it either.
This isn't really based on anything, since Dylan van Baarle and Geraint Thomas both have podcasts where they do not really hold back. And someone like Richard Plugge regularly gets into trouble saying stuff that overly sensitive people (i.e. the French) find offensive. There's also more than enough behind the scenes footage in the documentaries they put out where it's pretty clear one or more riders aren't happy.

It's the fans who are super sensitive about these things, not the teams. Although actually Ralf Denk did complain about it, the one you singled out for his chilled attitude.

Reactions: pastronef
I mean, if you actually want to ride the Giro for gc Jumbo might not be the worst option.
I actually posted this last Sunday - as Roglic has gone, Visma/Lisa's bike need someone for GC for the Giro/Vuelta. Vingegaard is going to do the Tour until he retires or has a "clinic" problem so why not replace Roglic at Visma/whatcha-call-it? If Visma are talking about sending Van Aert for GC at the Giro then it shows how desperate they are.

I actually posted this last Sunday - as Roglic has gone, Visma/Lisa's bike need someone for GC for the Giro/Vuelta. Vingegaard is going to do the Tour until he retires or has a "clinic" problem so why not replace Roglic at Visma/whatcha-call-it? If Visma are talking about sending Van Aert for GC at the Giro then it shows how desperate they are.
It's the cycling journalists and fans who are desperate for Van Aert to do a GC at the Giro. Not Van Aert himself, or his team. Let's take Van Aert's word for it, shall we?

I don't see limits easily, but I am realistic. Riding for GC cannot really be combined with the other things I want. Maybe it can be done if I sacrifice a lot, but I don't want that.

For example, I could maybe finish fifth, but if I have to lose weight for that, have to spend a long time on an altitude training and am bored, then I don't think it's worth it. Now I do a lot of different things that I find cool and where I get satisfaction from being able to combine them. If I have GC ambitions, it is not to win, I have to be realistic about that. Then it's not worth the sacrifice.

Reactions: Sandisfan
how can a rider have a quiet and successfull 2024 season if already is thinking about leaving for 2025, with all the rumors, hints, polemics, agents deals, offers and so on?

Pretty sure he wouldn't be the first to have a successfull season, and then leave afterwards because his contract ended.
In fact, I'd say giving his best, even if he's considering leaving would just be the professional thing to do.

Signed for Visma. Undoubtedly a bit of news that will be greeted with a lot of enthusiasm on this forum :)

They didn't get Evenepoel, but (in my opinion) Uijtdebroeks is probably a bigger talent for the grand tours. In the end their transfer window isn't all that bad, Roglic out but with Jorgenson and Uijtdebroeks two of the most promising riders in today's peloton join them.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think this signing makes sense for both Uijtdebroeks and Visma.

He was apparently unhappy at Bora and Visma will probably give him leadership in the Giro already in 2024 with support from a few solid climbers and Van Aert. Then in 2025, he might actually get co-leadership in the Tour if Vingegård goes for the Giro-Tour double.

I am curious to see how much will his TT improve in the next years.