• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think those sound like some good options, especially BYU. And if we (the Pac-12) fail to secure any reputable team we'll just take any community college available. :D (Crikes, I thought the Pac-12 was an untouchable super conference, how quickly time & money change everything.)
The Pac-12 tradition of eating it's young has led to rare Nat Champ opportunities. There is enough quality there that top teams are at risk and presents the East Coast Sporting press the opportunity to ignore it, which they do with impunity. I'd put the UW up against an SEC contender with the best QB in college right now.

Reactions: jmdirt
What a couple of incredible games today!

TCU with the upset over Michigan! - didn't see that coming. Congratulations to Sonny Dykes - he's vaulted TCU into a football powerhouse.

A back & forth game with the Buckeyes & Dawgs. Amazing performance by C.J. Stroud showing his ability as an elite QB - perhaps the best of this year's prospects. Great last drive giving his team a chance but the missed 50 yd FG attempt ended it all. And what can you say about Stetson Bennett - not even a top recruit out of HS & he's playing in his 2nd national title game!

The Dawgs & the Frogs for all the marbles in LA.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Michigan would have gotten hammered like that. TCU was totally outclassed - a colossal embarrassment. I wonder if they'll drop out of the top-25 in the final rankings. Lol.

What's unfortunate about this is that though TCU had a stellar season winning the Big-12, making the playoffs & beating Michigan in the semis all under 1st yr coach Sonny Dykes, they'll will be remembered for getting annihilated & embarrassed by Georgia in the title game.

Reactions: firefly3323
I can't imagine Michigan would have gotten hammered like that. TCU was totally outclassed - a colossal embarrassment. I wonder if they'll drop out of the top-25 in the final rankings. Lol.

What's unfortunate about this is that though TCU had a stellar season winning the Big-12, making the playoffs & beating Michigan in the semis all under 1st yr coach Sonny Dykes, they'll will be remembered for getting annihilated & embarrassed by Georgia in the title game.
Agree that Michigan would have been more competitive.. Both lines for TCU were porous.. coach was semi classy, the color people threw in that Georgia watched some Kobe Bryant video that they summarized as you need to bury your opponent.. Coach played lots of the bench but they still were rolling over TCU..afterwards you could see that there was mutual respect between the Heisman candidates..
I don't watch lots but from what I do.. really think that the playoffs and championship game is better and was long long overdue

I can't see it would have been anywhere near that big of a blowout but I still can't see how it would have been any less than a 20 point win for Georgia. They were definitely a big jump better than anyone else in NCAA

Shocking news from the Pac-12 over the weekend - many big teams are moving elsewhere, including Oregon and Washington to the Big 10! Never thought I'd see a super conference like the Pac-12 melt down, pretty soon it'll be the Pac-5?

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Absolutely insane! - I've never seen anything like this before.

And what do you know - CU goes back to the Big-12 where they were before leaving for the Pac-12. Lol

What blows my mind is schools joining conferences that are practically clear across the country (e.g. USC & UCLA joining the Big-10...what?). And BYU to the Big-12? (this is really good for them to finally get into a Power-5 conference after being independent for the last decade - but the Big-12 when they have a lot of ties to the West coast & Hawaii, and recruit heavily there).

The Pac-12 is in big trouble & on life-support because they're just left with a handful of schools that are also trying to negotiate deals with other Power-5 conferences (this is not over).

Sadly, the Pac-12 may end up DOA & cease to exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Absolutely insane! - I've never seen anything like this before.

And what do you know - CU goes back to the Big-12 where they were before leaving for the Pac-12. Lol

What blows my mind is schools joining conferences that are practically clear across the country (e.g. USC & UCLA joining the Big-10...what?). And BYU to the Big-12? (this is really good for them to finally get into a Power-5 conference after being independent for the last decade - but the Big-12 when they have a lot of ties to the West coast & Hawaii, and recruit heavily there).

The Pac-12 is in big trouble & on life-support because they're just left with a handful of schools that are also trying to negotiate deals with other Power-5 conferences (this is not over).

Sadly, the Pac-12 may end up DOA & cease to exist.
A sure and depressing sign of aging - not only does the dorm I lived in on UW's campus no longer exist (it's been bulldozed and something much fancier had been built in its place), but from the looks of it the conference my team belonged to since forever will likely no longer exist either...

Jeebus, can you imagine having to say - I remember when there was still a Pac- 10, 12, whatever number conference? I'm going to go and cry into my pillow!

Also, I'm having a hard time imagining how fans will attend away games if there is extensive across the country travel involved. For those who have the time and money it's no issue, but what about the rest who are loyal fans but are on a budget? I can't wait to see how this will turn out...

Last edited:
Seeing as these big conference moves over the past few days are a bit confusing (for me at least) I found this article and/or opinion piece, it sheds a bit of light on things. There is still a lot to digest though because the business of college sports is a big, BIG business... money talks and *** walks, as they say.

Shocking news from the Pac-12 over the weekend - many big teams are moving elsewhere, including Oregon and Washington to the Big 10! Never thought I'd see a super conference like the Pac-12 melt down, pretty soon it'll be the Pac-5?

Right now the money is huge, but I can't help but think that this 'realignment' will cost the conferences and schools money in the long run.

I've heard some buzz around here that many of the Mountain West teams are proposing that the PAC 5 schools come join the MW. EDIT: which would force the NCAA to add the new MW as a power conference, right?

Right now the money is huge, but I can't help but think that this 'realignment' will cost the conferences and schools money in the long run.

I've heard some buzz around here that many of the Mountain West teams are proposing that the PAC 5 schools come join the MW. EDIT: which would force the NCAA to add the new MW as a power conference, right?
It's hard to guess what will happen next, might as well just sit back and watch this shitshow from afar! :tearsofjoy:

PS - I guess another question is what will happen to the now former conference rivalry games? No Apple Cup? No Civil War? I thought what they were doing in professional golf recently was confusing, this is worse!

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
It's hard to guess what will happen next, might as well just sit back and watch this shitshow from afar! :tearsofjoy:

PS - I guess another question is what will happen to the now former conference rivalry games? No Apple Cup? No Civil War? I thought what they were doing in professional golf recently was confusing, this is worse!
I think that's one of the reasons that they will lose money.

UW vs. WSU Apple Cup is an easy drive to pack either house, tons of alum cross, and its been played for 120+ years. Plus HUGE TV audience.

UW vs. Maryland is not an easy trip, there is no history, and no alum cross. Certainly a smaller TV audience than above.

They MIGHT still paly the Apple Cup as a preseason gig, but meh.

TRENDING THREADS