• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
thehog said:
They need to get rid of Froome & make Thomas the next big thing. He's way more marketable than the Dawg. If they want to make cycling mainstream then they need to get these lads on the program and winning GTs. The Dawg will never cut it. He's just a big tall, lanky dork.

Brailsford's talking smack again about a French winner. He's just trying to pacify the press before they land in France this evening. He has to pacify Porte along with the fact all the rider think Kerrison is a knob.

To be honest I have only read a few of your posts - a small..ish sample - but I'm not guessing when I think they they probably have little more to add than a constant sniping and sneering. Why bother posting more? Just refer to your back catalogue of snipes, moans and ill founded accusations. I fact... the clinic should just have a sneery face emoticon. You could then just 'click and post'. Save you typing and give you more time with your loved ones..and to cycle?

ShiftingBalance said:
To be honest I have only read a few of your posts - a small..ish sample - but I'm not guessing when I think they they probably have little more to add than a constant sniping and sneering. Why bother posting more? Just refer to your back catalogue of snipes, moans and ill founded accusations. I fact... the clinic should just have a sneery face emoticon. You could then just 'click and post'. Save you typing and give you more time with your loved ones..and to cycle?

Didn't you get banned or something? :rolleyes:

But you keep coming back. It's like you miss us or something. Perhaps? :cool:

The travel agent organising the July itinerary
for our Michael Brian Cookson OBE will have
very little room for error:
FRI-25-JULY: Glasgow, Commonwealth Games,
'Race of the Century' J-Bob v Wiggo 4000m IP
SAT-26-JULY: Rotterdam, BMX World Champs,
'Reunion of Champions' 20 year celebration.*
SUN-27-JULY: Paris, Tour de France, final stage
with awards and presentations.

*Edit: actually much more than 20 years, not
sure why that number was in my head :eek:

oldcrank said:
The travel agent organising the July itinerary
for our Michael Brian Cookson OBE will have
very little room for error:
FRI-25-JULY: Glasgow, Commonwealth Games,
'Race of the Century' J-Bob v Wiggo 4000m IP
SAT-26-JULY: Rotterdam, BMX World Champs,
'Reunion of Champions' 20 year celebration.
SUN-27-JULY: Paris, Tour de France, final stage
with awards and presentations.

MON-28-JULY: Sky Winners Party. Featuring Olli & Brian Cookson.

Aren't you forgetting the British Women's World Champion in BMX?

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
as scarface said you first get the money, then you worry about the rest really. What is point in a big anti doping crack down and other issues if no money is coming in to pay for it.

Hopefully we do never see a return to a race to the bottom, of course there will always be some like in any sports. End of day all the sports have this problem.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
as scarface said you first get the money, then you worry about the rest really. What is point in a big anti doping crack down and other issues if no money is coming in to pay for it.

Hopefully we do never see a return to a race to the bottom, of course there will always be some like in any sports. End of day all the sports have this problem.
ow, of course.
but i think for the average fool out there doping in traditional endurance sports is seen as more aggravating, because in such sports athletes are being judged/classified almost entirely on their (pharmaceutically enhanced) endurance.

i'll be the last to trivialize doping in sports like soccer or tennis in any way, though. it's rampant there, and yes it's aggravating as well.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Doesn't seem to matter WHO is running the UCI , as the crowds that were roadside cheering the Racers , will be the same mindless , that are behind the wheel of vehicles showing their F1 skills ( non existent ) , as they fight their way through the rush hour on weekdays .

Have to laugh though , as most of those waiting for their few seconds of the racers & the possibility of getting on the TV , must have spent hours sitting in their tin cans rapidly going nowhere ?

Anyone see ANY Cycling Safety Ad.s in any Media during the 3 days or even before the official presentation ?

The only indication of Cycling Safety Concerns , i have found todate is this :

http://t.co/9mTzJDenyY

Tourism is one thing , but THEIVING from the PATHETIC budget that Bozo has promised Londoners for " Cycling Safety ", to get into the job is like stealing candy from a baby ? Bozo thinks he is the master of sleight of hand , god help the UK , if he gets to take over from Cameron !

Cookson's message is " Going to , Going to , well give me time "! At least we get the occasional tweet with a link , guess it saves a bit of the PR Person's time ?
stopkillingcyclists

The Hitch said:
I don't think it is. Sure its much bigger than it was last time the Tour was in the UK in terms of absolute number of fans, people willing to cheer on a race, or ride bikes, but in the broader scheme of things, any gains have been either negligible or at the least incorrectly ignored by the mass media, which does not rank cycling any higher on its list of sports than it did 10 years ago.

The Tour de France is not shown on any of the major channels, (the one that has rights on it continues to dump it onto a secondary channel it owns). Outside of the Tour all cycling requires a subscription. Compare this to several European countries where all gts are broadcast on the main channels. It doesn't really get any attention from newspapers (an extra article or two a month maybe which will be on Team Sky).
From my experience talking to people who went to watch the thing today, few had the slightest clue about cycling. That's not necesarily different from other capital cities to be fair, the sport is more popular in the country and there I don't know what the attitude was. But as far as the media goes its a minor sport still. They put more effort into building up the celebrities - wiggins cav froome, than the actual sport.

To expand on this, picked up the Daily Mail at the airport. There are 15 pages of sport before the Tour de France. When you finally get to the Tour its a 50 word article on the final sports page next to the shares, tucked in on the bottom right under a bigger one about horse racing and all it says is that zandio is out, greipel won and Nibali keeps the yellow.

Its the Tour de France, the only 3 week period in the year cycling is supposed to mean anything and its still getting tiny coverage.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
To expand on this, picked up the Daily Mail at the airport. There are 15 pages of sport before the Tour de France. When you finally get to the Tour its a 50 word article on the final sports page next to the shares, tucked in on the bottom right under a bigger one about horse racing and all it says is that zandio is out, greipel won and Nibali keeps the yellow.

Its the Tour de France, the only 3 week period in the year cycling is supposed to mean anything and its still getting tiny coverage.
I guess the question that is on everyones mind is... why did you pick up the Daily Mail?

skippy said:
Doesn't seem to matter WHO is running the UCI , as the crowds that were roadside cheering the Racers , will be the same mindless , that are behind the wheel of vehicles showing their F1 skills ( non existent ) , as they fight their way through the rush hour on weekdays .

Have to laugh though , as most of those waiting for their few seconds of the racers & the possibility of getting on the TV , must have spent hours sitting in their tin cans rapidly going nowhere ?

I don't understand here. So the huge public on the road for the UK stages (and on the mountains), or in the soccer stadiums or at the races are mindless and wasting their free time?

I thought that was called entertainment

that's one the reason why the riders are racing and being paid to.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
I guess the question that is on everyones mind is... why did you pick up the Daily Mail?

For a "journalist with integrity" the least I expected was some considered comparison commentary between Murdoch media coverage and other independents?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Tinman said:
For a "journalist with integrity" the least I expected was some considered comparison commentary between Murdoch media coverage and other independents?
I think the 'journalist with integrity' link Hitch has is referring to the journalist of the article linked in?

i) Unless you were joking in which case (Of course I knew you were joking)
ii) Hitch is actually a 'journalist with integrity' and that link was just a happy coincidence.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
I think the 'journalist with integrity' link Hitch has is referring to the journalist of the article linked in?

i) Unless you were joking in which case (Of course I knew you were joking)
ii) Hitch is actually a 'journalist with integrity' and that link was just a happy coincidence.

"A Hitch" or "The Hitch"?

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Because they hand it out for free
Even so... That said, it is a good a reflection of main stream media coverage of sport as any of the other tabloids. I, myself, found the sport coverage in the Sunday Sport a joy to read and it is a shame that such quality journalism was not appreciated by the masses and hence its demise.

Nobody really knows much about cycling in the US...not sure what these silly comparisons are between Brit fans and US fans.

People are into 1) Baseball, 2) Football, 3) Basketball, 4) Hockey...5) Tennis...yada yada....9) Soccer....somewhere after beach volleyball and surfing is finally cycling.

Yeah, Lance was well known, and cycling has been on the rise the past 5-7 yrs here for sure. Still nothing in the big picture of things with a population of 300 million.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Nobody really knows much about cycling in the US...not sure what these silly comparisons are between Brit fans and US fans.

People are into 1) Baseball, 2) Football, 3) Basketball, 4) Hockey...5) Tennis...yada yada....9) Soccer....somewhere after beach volleyball and surfing is finally cycling.

Yeah, Lance was well known, and cycling has been on the rise the past 5-7 yrs here for sure. Still nothing in the big picture of things with a population of 300 million.

Golf?? where does TigerW fit?

TRENDING THREADS