• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Benotti69 said:
I await your review...

Do you refer to this bit?

All the samples collected on the Tour de France 2014 were analysed in France, at the WADA-accredited laboratory of Châtenay-Malabry, using the most up-to-date techniques. The laboratory in Lausanne was involved in the pre-competition mission and also served as a back-up laboratory during the Tour itself.

The UCI's use of Châtenay-Malabry and Lausanne is a long-standing matter of record.

You seem to be missing the point here: you have been making this assertion. I asked for evidence to support it. It's for you to produce the evidence, not me. All I want is the evidence. If the assertion is true, great. If it's a load of bollix, what the hell, you've had a good run with it.

Re: Re:

In anticipation of you now actually going and looking for evidence to back up your claim and finding various instances in which the UCI was reported as having used the Cologne lab during the period, oh I don't know, 1996 to 2013, allow me to preemptively counter: if Cookson has nixed the use of the Cologne lab since taking the reins of power in 2013, is it simply a case that the person who sent Matteo Rabbotini's sample there in 2014 didn't read the memo?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I like many of the changes Cookson has implemented however I do wish he would get some help in how to dress for success. He always looks like he spent the night in a car. Looks do matter when negotiating.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Verbruggen remains Hon President of the UCI and 40K the better. Chapeau Cookson.

wouldnt surprise me if Hein won this case because his lawyers were able to show that the CIRC wasn't as independent as Cookson claimed it to be.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: hein

ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:
Verbruggen remains Hon President of the UCI and 40K the better. Chapeau Cookson.

so?............hein is even worse than mc quaid..cookson............

..........what's new............

Mark L

I guess Hein has dirt on Cookson.

No one ever argued he was not worse than McQuaid or Cookson. The thread is whether Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid. And it would appear so.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Serious question..

When is election time again?

Cookson is a curious case to me, he has put himself in all kinds of awkward and difficult positions and yet he manages to somewhat dissapear when the going gets tough.

Where will he go now, what will he say?

He's been investing his person as UCI president in many cases (kreuziger, Astana, JTL, Verdruggen, CIRC, Reforms etc) but yet none of those seems to have worked out to his benefit (other than his initial comments in each case has shown a resourceful and determined president).

And everytime, when the final verdict was in, he has vansihed from the earths surface (hyperbole intended).

Is this really just a testament that even with good intentions and PR strategy you will in the end be double-crossed by the crazy logic of cycling that is madness in every form?

Genuinely I am undecided wether he originally set out to do some good, but simply ws overcomed and maybe even surprised how much deviation from the norm can harm you.

Basically he is reduced to tweeting appraisal comments on cycling events he himself ignored and got a lot of heat for.

Hmm,.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
[It was the Cologne lab that caught Contador. Lausanne lab is run by every federations friend Martial 'Capone' Saugy. :D

No i dont have statistics.

fmk_RoI said:
1) Wasn't the choice of the Cologne lab to test Contador's sample - and a handful of others - considered highly unusual at the time, well out of the norm?

I think it was. Why was it done? Did they expect to get a positive and then a brown bag to make it go away?

fmk_RoI said:
2) If you don't have statistics, is the claim that the Cologne lab has been dropped nothing more than an opinion? But you state it - time and time again - with such authority!

No,but i cannot find anything about testing done at Cologne this year. It might have something to do with them being able to test for AICAR.

I did read it somewhere that UCI had dropped Cologne and cannot find the source.

http://www.velonation.com/news/id/16008/cologne-lab-develops-successful-test-for-banned-substance-aicar.aspx

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Each time you think you have read it all along comes a new one. Pro cycling is just absolutely effed. You could not make this stuff up if you were trying. Cookson just an absolute joke.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
There's more...

UCI fire back at Verbruggen: disagreement never reached court

But it doesn't make much sense. :confused:

If someone could sort fact from fiction in that article, I'd be impressed.

These two excerpts are awesome though.

I [Brain Cookson] indeed met with Mr Hein Verbruggen last summer. We came to a confidential agreement, which was to ensure, amongst other things, that he would stop using his influence to criticise and cause trouble for the UCI. Since Mr Verbrugeen never respected his commitments, the agreement is considered null. No money has ever been paid to Mr Verbruggen since I became President."
“Mr. Cookson renounces definitively from asking me to resign from my Honorary-Presidency and agrees not to mention this question anymore publicly or privately.”
:D

The overall immaturity of this sordid affair might be more entertaining if it weren't so pathetic.

I've read that latest article a couple of times now, but the questions remain:

1) Is Hein Still an Honorary anything within the walls of the UCI?

2) Was there any kind of settlement or not?

Jacques de Molay said:
I've read that latest article a couple of times now, but the questions remain:

1) Is Hein Still an Honorary anything within the walls of the UCI?

2) Was there any kind of settlement or not?

Most of it is straightforward. Verbruggen disagreed with the CIRC report. The IOC mediated an agreement between Verbruggen and the UCI. Both sides were to shut the feck up slagging each other off and the UCI was to pay €40k for legal fees incurred by Verbruggen. From this on the UCI site it appears the agreement was July or thereabouts. A couple of weeks back TuttoBicci got the €40k part of the story. That was mentioned to someone on InsideTheGames yesterday after they did a puff piece on the UCI accounts and how the CIRC report came in under budget and today they had the wider story, the €40k and the previously unknown honorary presidency thing with quotes from Verbruggen. Now Cookson's gone and got the hump because that Inside The Games story spread pretty quickly (compared to the TuttoBicci version which died on its feet). So now Cookson says the whole deal is off, no money, no promises not to try and get Verbruggen removed as Honorary President, a title he does still hold despite having been asked to stand down.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Most of it is straightforward.
Thanks for that.

Two things made the CN version of the story a bit more convoluted (at least for me).

1) The information is presented somewhat out of synch with the events in terms of the timeline (evidenced by the closing paragraph about Hein, which seems to directly contradict Cookson's statement at the top of the article).

2) The use of the italicized insidethegames.biz. At first glance, I didn't even read it correctly and mistakingly thought it was a Dutch or German link :eek:

I still don't understand the €40k payout agreement though. It seems that they did, at some point, agree to that. Cookson now seems to be saying that deal is off as a result of Hein's continued unacceptable behavior. But that would imply that Cookson (the UCI) had been holding back on the payment in the first place. I'm now curious as to the exact timeline involved.

Was there a designated timeframe for payment to be made?
Was the UCI holding back payment in the hopes/anticipation of finding an out?
Had Hein expressed any concern over not receiving prompt payment?

Or was it a probationary type of condition, whereby Hein would have prove himself able to keep his trap shut for a given period of time before payment would be doled out?

The bigger question though, in all of this, is, How is it that an elected President of an international organization has such difficulty removing a dammed HONORARY title from someones' name, simply because said person objects to the attempt?

Cookson just needs more time to introduce the reforms...

Oh and Plan B, use the Lausanne lab :)

lh4ch.jpg

Loving that picture. Loads of twitter criticism out there for Brian doing a secret deal with Hein to pay him 40k of UCI money and leave him in place. Just madness complete madness.

OK please debate - did Brian just bumble and stumble into the timing, hostage to events, - it just happened guv, it just happened to me - or is this an extra cunning strategy, devised by the finest PR minds who advised New Labour at their height, to ensure that whilst (i) Sepp Blatter and Platini and (ii) Nick Davies and Seb Coe hogged all of the headlines and reporters as they outdid each other for the most cretinous and outrageous responses to being caught with their hands in the cookie jar/hiding positives that the naughty Ruskies would not pay the bribes to cover up, Brian and the UCI would release their own unique contribution, that ensures that podium place in the race to "be the most corrupt/incompetent/both Intl Fed" is secure and yet the spotlight does not fall on Cookson for comparable performance ?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Loving that picture. Loads of twitter criticism out there for Brian doing a secret deal with Hein to pay him 40k of UCI money and leave him in place. Just madness complete madness.

OK please debate - did Brian just bumble and stumble into the timing, hostage to events, - it just happened guv, it just happened to me - or is this an extra cunning strategy, devised by the finest PR minds who advised New Labour at their height, to ensure that whilst (i) Sepp Blatter and Platini and (ii) Nick Davies and Seb Coe hogged all of the headlines and reporters as they outdid each other for the most cretinous and outrageous responses to being caught with their hands in the cookie jar/hiding positives that the naughty Ruskies would not pay the bribes to cover up, Brian and the UCI would release their own unique contribution, that ensures that podium place in the race to "be the most corrupt/incompetent/both Intl Fed" is secure and yet the spotlight does not fall on Cookson for comparable performance ?
hehe.
Fair to assume that that was the plan.
On the downside for Brian:
The news about him cutting a deal with Verdrug'em seems to nicely legitimize tweets mentioning Cookson in one breath with Blatter and Coe/Diack.

TRENDING THREADS