• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 292 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did you ever see that article where the CDC recently doubled case rate for Florida and had to revise the numbers?
Which has zero to do with the graph of COVID hospitalizations that I posted. Which, incidentally, hit another record yesterday. Fortunately, the number only went up 44 beds, so maybe their outbreak is starting to crest.

If people had done the right thing, there would be hundreds of thousands of people alive now who are dead. So much of this was disaster was preventable. And the next one will be even worse.

Reactions: jmdirt
Speaking of which, I've seen that there's a correlation between the announcement by FDA and CDC to pause the J&J vaccine (April 13th) and when the number of (first) vaccinations declined.

How much would you (the Americans here) say it affected the perception of (and discourse about) vaccines and the trustworthiness of the FDA and CDC?

Maybe you missed it, but that also coincided with a huge manufacturing issue by the sole US manufacturer, leading to a significant drop in available vaccines.
For Maryland, that meant going from about 90,000 of the single-shot immunizations to roughly 11,000, Hogan said, calling it a “big hit.”

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
I don't think that is true. For Asians, the level of education doesn't matter. It does for the other races. See figure 1. It is data from March, but I don't think opinions have changed much.

And it should be noted that so many of the low vaccination states really have few non-whites living in them.

"STUDY FINDS THE MOST HIGHLY EDUCATED AMERICANS ARE ALSO THE MOST VACCINE HESITANT."

Maybe you missed it, but that also coincided with a huge manufacturing issue by the sole US manufacturer, leading to a significant drop in available vaccines.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in your country. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to your market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It was a drop in J&J vaccines only, right?

Counterpoint.

Counterpoint.

Not much of a counterpoint:

"On July 26 2021, Carnegie Mellon University issued a press release about the research, reiterating the findings about vaccine hesitancy in PhDs in a contextually accurate fashion:"

"A study conducted by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh has found that vaccine hesitancy has decreased among US adults by one-third between January and May 2021. While tentative people are concerned about COVID-19 vaccine safety and potential side effects, those with stronger views tend to distrust the government."

"The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May [2021] by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group [among the vaccine hesitant]. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May [2021]."

PhDs sound pretty educated to me - it's certainly more than I have. Lol.

So, the 2nd richest man in the world and a Univ of Penn graduate with two degrees, says he supports the vaccines but doesn't appear to have taken it himself:

"Commenting on Elon's latest tweet, one user asked him that when he said he was not getting the vaccine since he had Covid, was it because he did not want it, or because he thought someone else would benefit more since he has some immunity to it already."

"Replying to this, the 49-year-old billionaire wrote that it was because of the statement that he did not want to take the vaccine."

Not much of a counterpoint:

"On July 26 2021, Carnegie Mellon University issued a press release about the research, reiterating the findings about vaccine hesitancy in PhDs in a contextually accurate fashion:"

"A study conducted by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh has found that vaccine hesitancy has decreased among US adults by one-third between January and May 2021. While tentative people are concerned about COVID-19 vaccine safety and potential side effects, those with stronger views tend to distrust the government."

"The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May [2021] by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group [among the vaccine hesitant]. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May [2021]."

PhDs sound pretty educated to me - it's certainly more than I have. Lol.
Worth noting that the hesitancy numbers way undershot what actually happened. The high groups of hesitancy were in the low 20s. The low groups were around 10%. Needless to say, we have not approached that level of vaccine uptake in any category. Calls into question the self selecting facebook survey tool IMO. Or possible that the phd groups were the only ones telling the truth.

Just for context. The US has fully vaccinated only 61.3% of adults. We only have vaccinated 80.5% of 65+.

Last edited:
Which has zero to do with the graph of COVID hospitalizations that I posted. Which, incidentally, hit another record yesterday. Fortunately, the number only went up 44 beds, so maybe their outbreak is starting to crest.

If people had done the right thing, there would be hundreds of thousands of people alive now who are dead. So much of this was disaster was preventable. And the next one will be even worse.
The next wave or another variant? Because the Lambda variant is now on the horizon:

This one appears vaccine resistance - so what are people going to do now? Lockdowns? Masks? Social distancing? People in constant fear again? IMO, natural immunity is going to win out in the long run. There's too many variants emerging and the vaccines can't seem keep up. People are just going to be in a constant state of fear & hysteria. They'll be screaming at the government to protect them. Time to invest in some personal improvement to strengthen the immune system; healthy nutrition, excercise, vitamins & maintaining good D3 levels. A healthy & well functioning immune system can perform miraculously.

Counterpoint.

...and more clarity.

Since Nomad and I rarely agree I have to preface my comment with this not being against him personally because I frequently read things like the link he shared (I might also share them) and then upon further investigation find them not to be completely accurate. I know that there is a stigma with 'main stream media', but far right/left media is worse IMO (I didn't know Summit, but now I do). Plus, just because we dislike the sensationalism of main stream media, we as intelligent people can 'ignore' the sensationalism and look at the numbers (or go check/find them on our own).

Can I see PhDs/EdDs having analysis to paralysis about vaccination, yes, so reading that 20-25% of them are resistant didn't surprise me. Also though if you do the simple math, as the 'not resistant' docs get vaccinated, the 'resistant' docs become a larger piece of the pie (since this study eliminated those who had already been vaccinated).

Last edited:
The next wave or another variant? Because the Lambda variant is now on the horizon:

This one appears vaccine resistance - so what are people going to do now? Lockdowns? Masks? Social distancing? People in constant fear again? IMO, natural immunity is going to win out in the long run. There's too many variants emerging and the vaccines can't seem keep up. People are just going to be in a constant state of fear & hysteria. They'll be screaming at the government to protect them. Time to invest in some personal improvement to strengthen the immune system; healthy nutrition, excercise, vitamins & maintaining good D3 levels. A healthy & well functioning immune system can perform miraculously.

We agree on this. I'll add mental/emotional health, and even rest to help our immune system.

Speaking of which, I've seen that there's a correlation between the announcement by FDA and CDC to pause the J&J vaccine (April 13th) and when the number of (first) vaccinations declined.

How much would you (the Americans here) say it affected the perception of (and discourse about) vaccines and the trustworthiness of the FDA and CDC?
There is really no way for me to guess. BUT, wouldn't it seem like people would be: "hey, they held that one so maybe they are looking out for us"? There are too many factors in vaccination rates to point to any one factor in up or down rates as 'THE' factor.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS