• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
From FB:

On Hussey:

MICHAEL HUSSEY, GO TO YOUR ROOM. Probably the dumbest shot since the first German fired at the first Soviet in 1941.

On Clarke:

Sweet mother of mercy, Clarke. Probably the stupidest leave since the Nazis bypassed Anne Frank's house.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nice come back by the Kiwis. Boult was the pick of the bowlers imo. I disagree with any criticism of the pitc. I would rather watch pitches that give a bit to the bowler considering how pretty much all the other pitches in Australia are like.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_NsFh-Z4aE

Too many batsmen have watched this.

I'll draw upon the stupidity of the cricinfo commentator of the last match who said that batting collapses like NZ at the GABBA and Australia at Newlands were exceptions. Some movement with the ball's enough to collapse. The next team touring Australia can't play swing for toss as well, barring Dravid who's found form.

Siddle gone.
Now Pattinson's gone.
All out 136.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
New Zealand have taken a 14 run lead as Australia are bowled out for 136. Important that NZ have a lead and if (and a big 'if') they can get to tea without a loss of a wicket.

ramjambunath said:
You're a demanding man craig, there's still around half hour to go to tea.

WA looking much stronger on paper today.

Resting Davis and North though. They were thinking of getting Collingwood to play. Coulter-Nile should be the key.

Marsh batting first drop and doesn't look keen to hang around. Pity it's not on TV, Fox don't often bother televising if there's an international game on.

Rimmington was listed as 12th but is now playing instead of Beer, not sure if it's just a tactical move. At least we have a pretty decent tail now.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
They do use Davis sparsely for ODDs. Am I right in thinking that WA are being cautious with North. The bowling looks decent with Coulter Nile back, Hogan and Rimmington but no frontline spinner. They should need a partnership as a base for Birt to smash the attack when he comes in.
3/35 so no partnerships yet and Birt in. Marsh gone.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not too much longer it seems. Guptill goes.
Missed McCullum's wicket, what happened with him?

Birt falls for 35. 4/96, Voges, Beaton, Ronchi and Rimmo to save WA.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Beaton gone for 1. SA turning the tables in the Ryobi cup.

Ryder gone, always looked edgy but not the expected mode of dismissal. Hussey is the best bowler in the world.

Here's a question- considering the empty stadium, are there no local blackouts if attendances are low? It used to be the case in Australia and was a good system, I believe.

ramjambunath said:
Beaton gone for 1. SA turning the tables in the Ryobi cup.

Ryder gone, always looked edgy but not the expected mode of dismissal. Hussey is the best bowler in the world.

Here's a question- considering the empty stadium, are there no local blackouts if attendances are low? It used to be the case in Australia and was a good system, I believe.

There is still here in WA, unless it's a sellout like the Ashes.

WA are being cautious with North, they are out of this competition, Big Bash is a lot more important.

Ronchi doing exactly what he did to SA in the reverse fixture in Adelaide.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Is the rule not in place in Hobart, the attendances are like Indian tests and isn't befitting a test.

On the topic of the Big Bash, what's happened with regards to Ed Cowan the warm up matches for India and the Big Bash is just sad. He's not been selected for the second (Prime Minister's XI) match against India because Sydney sixers don't have many fit players. Just heard on Grandstand that Inverarity isn't perfectly pleased with the situation. What we also have to consider is, Cowan can leave the ball, something Australia desparately need. I haven't always been a Cowan fan as well but he should be better than Hughes, at the moment, and Warner.

Ronchi- 94* off 80. Great recovery 8/244
Cricinfo's lineups are pretty poor, Beer is playing but they didn't list him till he came in to bat.

Fair to say that it was New Zealand's day. Flattening pitch and higher scores for the second innings seem likely but the lack of Vettori could hurt NZ in the 4th innings.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Great fight back in the end by Taylor and Williamson. I was worried when Guptil, and McCullum got out, and then Ryder got out to a daft shot, but fair play to Taylor and Williamson, and this feel weird for Brownlie to come out to bat and his team is not in major trouble. Looks like this wicket is getting better to bat on.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Good effort, he should be in a Ranji team in a couple of years.

Taylor's patience has been crazy:eek: For him.

Australia seem favourites now.
Stupid Southee stupid shot. Now Bracewell plays a stupid slog. 218 to win. Considering Martin gets another duck.
241 to win, Boult scored a quick 21 but again no defence. Martin 0*.

Wellington 307/5 (Papps played okay:eek:, 39) in 50 overs

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:

Stupid Southee stupid shot. Now Bracewell plays a stupid slog. 218 to win. Considering Martin gets another duck

Southee really needs to work on his batting, sure he can sixes, but he can offer a lot in being able to hang in there. Trent Boult played well in the end and was able to add another 21 runs to the total. Australia need 241 to win.

I also think McCullum might have to take up 'keeping again in Tests, I don't think Young is up to it batting wise, 20 years ago you could get away with a
keeper being picked for his glove work, but these days you need guys being able to go out there and contribute with the bat. That's the Gilchrist effect and how Tests have changed as a result, 'keepers must be able to bat. This is the one area today that New Zealand have missed Vettori, with the bat.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:

Stupid Southee stupid shot. Now Bracewell plays a stupid slog. 218 to win. Considering Martin gets another duck.
241 to win, Boult scored a quick 21 but again no defence. Martin 0*.

Wellington 307/5 (Papps played okay:eek:, 39) in 50 overs

Martin 2*, **** :p

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Martin 2*, **** :p

Dammit. He's infinitely better than I estimated. Now curiosity makes me wonder what those four asterisks stand for.

About McCullum, he had a surgery earlier this year for torn cartilage in the knee. Five day strain on the knees may be too much for him now. Let's also not forget that his keeping isn't great and he won't be able to hold a spot as keeper without his batting. His best batting has come as a batsman only without needing to worry about his keeping.

As for Young, he won't ever be a Gilchrist but he could try and emulate Jack Russell, his keeping is just as velvety smooth but if he could become a nuggetty battler he'll be one of the best.

Time filler, Champions Trophy hockey is going very well. New Zealand 1-1 Netherlands near half time in the Bronze medal match.:eek: 2-2 nice match.
Australia are nigh on unbeatable in hockey.

Match starting.