• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Cuisine Corner

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
usedtobefast said:
do we eat to ride? or, do we ride to eat?...:D
and LA can stuff it. i like emoticons.
I have to say it's the latter. I love a good old fashioned steak with fries, and a glass of Belgium beer. What could go wrong?

Mar 16, 2009
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yup. that's why I need recipes......

Susan
I'll dig out some old cookbooks and my notes from when I was catering.
Do you like thick or thin? sweet,hot,vinegary? For Pork, Beef, Chicken, All purpose?

Mar 16, 2009
Susan Westemeyer said:
Pork and chicken, nothing too heavy. Rather a light marinade than thick goopy tomato sauce. Spicy is good.

We also like to do catfish filets in foil, with a little olive oil and a lot of Cajun seasoning.

Susan
For Chicken I use

Dry White Vermouth (It's what I use for all my cooking calling for dry white wine) or dry white wine
Soy Sauce
little oil
chopped garlic
chopped parsley
salt
pepper
if you want a little hot some crushed red pepper

marinate chicken 1/2 hr to 2 hr
I find marinating chicken much over 2 hrs that the meat gets a slimey texture.
This marinade also works great for bbq'ing a beef tri-tip roast

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
That soup looks fantastic.

Anybody have any good barbecue sauce recipes?

Susan
Sounds like you might like it hot? I would suggest a book, "Eat The Heat" by Jonas Borssen (1998) I think you can get it used from amazon UK. He is the chef who (almost) single handedly introduced the chile pepper to Sweden. It is hard to imagine a table of Swedes eating Chipotle-peanut butter BBQ sauce or chicken with passila plum mole but there it is.

bon appetite, as we say in the states

Mar 10, 2009
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yup. that's why I need recipes......

Susan
BBQ sauce

onions, chopped, glazed
ketchup
molasses
worcestershire sauce
chipotle powder
red wine vinegar
tarragon

all tossed together and heat it.

May 6, 2009
Anybody here good at making Cannelloni? I'm going to give it a go at making this dish sometime in the next week, is it an easy thing to make?

Mar 10, 2009
craig1985 said:
Anybody here good at making Cannelloni? I'm going to give it a go at making this dish sometime in the next week, is it an easy thing to make?
pretty straightforward. From the top of my head, there is a mixture with spinach, eggs, salt pepper, and ricotta cheese, pecorino and parmigiano. Stuff them with the mixture, put in oven tray, cover with cheese and bake.

You can also use a basic Bolognese stuffing (crushed tomatoes (from a can), chopped carrots, celery, onion(s), garlic, ground beef, optional red wine --> cook/simmer for at least 1hr), stuff, add remaining sauce over/around cannelloni in an oven tray, cover with some cheese if you like and bake.

pre-cook cannelloni according to instructions.

I generally make a bolognese sauce, perhaps with extra meat. I stuff the noodles, strew around the extra sauce and pop them in the oven.

I do NOT precook the noodles.

Nor do I precook lasagne noodles. I can't imagine doing so. In fact, I don't think you can even buy lasagne noodles here that have to be pre-cooked.

We are having catfish tonight, sauteed in a little olive oil and seasoned with a lot of Cajun seasoning.

Susan

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:
Chile Verde, Rice, Beans

eh senior krebs.... do you use as much lard as most "authenic" South of The Border cooking does? That's always held me back.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS