• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Chicken breast, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, cauliflower, broccoli.

DSCF2068.JPG

krebs303 said:
The mustard is off the hot dog.
old LA Laker fans will know this
I miss Chick
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!
i still miss Chick. he was the reason i started to listen/watch basketball.

A

Anonymous

Ribs today.

Dry rubbed and 4 hours over slow coals, cherry wood for smoke.

Black bean and corn salsa.

Watermelon.

Green salad.

Fresh bread.

Perfect.

Mar 16, 2009
Susan Westemeyer said:
Anybody have any good barbecue sauce recipes?

I didn't forget. but all I could find was this recipe. I never made it because it makes 2 gallons. It comes from Jeff Smith The Frugal Gourmet. All of his recipes I have tried have been Excellent.

Pride of Deer Camp Barbecue Sauce-Marinade

Ingredients

* 2 quarts water
* 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
* 1 1/2 cups Worcestershire sauce (prefer L&P)
* 1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard
* 1 quart catsup (I use Red Gold)
* 1/2 cup freshly milled black peppercorns
* 1/2 cup red pepper flakes (you can adjust this to taste)
* 3 quarts red wine vinegar
* 1 quart dry white wine (non-sweet ( make sure it's a quart)
* 1/2 cup salt

Directions

Do not prepare any part of this recipe in aluminum vessels -- it will ruin them!

Mix all ingredients in a large cooking pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes.

I store mine in gallon jugs in the refrigerator.

For the PODC Bloody Mary: 1 1/2 oz. vodka; 1 1/2 oz. tomato juice; dash of fresh lemon juice, and; 1/2 teaspoons PODC barbecue sauce. Shake well with crushed ice and serve on the rocks with a celery stick.

Edit: Just looked up on web. here you can change portion and to metric
now I'll give it a try as soon as I get a BBQ:eek:

Pride of Deer Camp Barbecue Sauce-Marinade

[QUnegar, saltOTE=krebs303;251611]yum, dried or fresh apricots/cranberries?[/QUOTE]
fresh and cooked down; 1/4 medium onion sauteed in olive oil, tsp vinegar, and salt then add cranberries, cook until tender, than add apricots sliced fairly thin, than cook down for 5-8 minutes. Apricots cook very fast. I have experimented with a bit of ginger, but like the above better. Careful with the vinegar.

A

Anonymous

French Toast made with Lemon Sour Cream Poundcake for breakfast

I am currently at the end of a 5 hour rib smoke, with corn fritters and mustard greens and fresh bread.

Thoughtforfood said:
French Toast made with Lemon Sour Cream Poundcake for breakfast

I am currently at the end of a 5 hour rib smoke, with corn fritters and mustard greens and fresh bread.
Do you cook the mustard greens with vinegar? What wood do you use for the smoke? I have good Eucalyptus (sp?) I use here in so cal; very hard and smokey

A

Anonymous

shawnrohrbach said:
Do you cook the mustard greens with vinegar? What wood do you use for the smoke? I have good Eucalyptus (sp?) I use here in so cal; very hard and smokey

I blanch the greens and then saute with butter, chopped garlic, and salt. Then I put hot pepper vinegar at the table. As a southerner, I put hot pepper vinegar on every green. Being from North Carolina, I smoke with hickory. It is the flavor of BBQ to me regardless of the meat. I would like to branch out though, but am not sure I can get Eucalyptus in NC.

Mar 16, 2009
Thoughtforfood said:
I blanch the greens and then saute with butter, chopped garlic, and salt. Then I put hot pepper vinegar at the table. As a southerner, I put hot pepper vinegar on every green. Being from North Carolina, I smoke with hickory. It is the flavor of BBQ to me regardless of the meat. I would like to branch out though, but am not sure I can get Eucalyptus in NC.

hickory is the king of BBQ. oak is the queen. hardwoods are best for BBQ

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Next time I'm in NC, I'm popping around for dinner. I'll do the dishes. Deal?

Mar 16, 2009
Thoughtforfood said:

here's a chart of good woods for smoking
Wood Smoking Flavor Chart

TRENDING THREADS