• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
glassmoon said:
what's with the Italians and their love for cheaters and liars? I mean... DiLuca, Pantani even Berlusconi.

It's not limited to the Italians so I wouldn't be singling them out, Merckx, Anquetil and so many more are idolized by the fans whilst being dopers so it's not just an Italian thing

Museeuw - Wiggins love in.

It's really f@cked me off the flack DiLuca has got from fanboys of Millar, Wiggins etc. Hypocrisy is rife in the UK :mad:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

MartinGT said:
StryderHells said:
glassmoon said:
what's with the Italians and their love for cheaters and liars? I mean... DiLuca, Pantani even Berlusconi.

It's not limited to the Italians so I wouldn't be singling them out, Merckx, Anquetil and so many more are idolized by the fans whilst being dopers so it's not just an Italian thing

It's really f@cked me off the flack DiLuca has got from fanboys of Millar, Wiggins etc. Hypocrisy is rife in the UK :mad:

Spot on.
Hypocrisy is rank among posters on here as well. They preach that everyone is doped and that's the only way you can compete and yet they still make moralistic judgements against them. That's hypocrisy.
I have no issues with athletes doping . Their health should be taken care of and things would be a lot better if doping was made legal and "the morons" would stop getting up in arms because of how fast a man rides a cycle or runs a marathon. "Choice" " Freedom" and not to be judged by morons who can't ride a bike up a mountain or cant run a marathon.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Is this gonna affect his wins in LBL and the Giro and stuff when he says that he'd never have won without dope?

Hopefully not. Stripping wins like that won't exactly encourage former riders to speak out and tell the truth as it it, but I have no clue.

Rasmussen tweeted about Di Luca with a lot of respect. Not that it says much, but those 2 guys know what it takes to win, post Puerto.

Nick C. said:
I noted he said he decided to dope when a guy who he used to beat as an amateur beat him in 2001. I wonder how often, if at all, something like this is the final straw. In baseball the story goes Barry Bonds was beyond PO'd at the adulation Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire were getting.
Di Luca was 2nd in Lombardia in 99. Won a Giro stage and was second in Pais Vasco the year after.
It took him until 2005 to become noticeably better
I highly doubt he started doping in 2001

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Is this gonna affect his wins in LBL and the Giro and stuff when he says that he'd never have won without dope?

Hopefully not. Stripping wins like that won't exactly encourage former riders to speak out and tell the truth as it it, but I have no clue.

Rasmussen tweeted about Di Luca with a lot of respect. Not that it says much, but those 2 guys know what it takes to win, post Puerto.

Thats it for me. The flack he has got isnt going to help it come clean. People say's he has shown no remorse. What about the countless other dopers that have shown no remorse. Again more of the BS that if your face doesnt fit.

Gung Ho Gun said:
Nick C. said:
I noted he said he decided to dope when a guy who he used to beat as an amateur beat him in 2001. I wonder how often, if at all, something like this is the final straw. In baseball the story goes Barry Bonds was beyond PO'd at the adulation Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire were getting.
Di Luca was 2nd in Lombardia in 99. Won a Giro stage and was second in Pais Vasco the year after.

Good point

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
Nick C. said:

Good point
Yup. I didn't know his palmares so that slipped right past me. Well, I did notice he was a monster in the Giro in 2005 after not being much of a stage racer before, but still. Live and learn.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

glassmoon said:

As opposed to other nations love for their dopers? Radcliffe, Wiggins, Coe, Froome or even Royalty...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:

Sure like all the other winners are clean. Has anyone ever paid back their 'stolen' victories? I doubt it considering the money gets put in a pot to be divided up amongst the team!

MartinGT said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Thats it for me. The flack he has got isnt going to help it come clean. People say's he has shown no remorse. What about the countless other dopers that have shown no remorse. Again more of the BS that if your face doesnt fit.

This is why we need another Sky/David Walsh book... no remorse on the BS.

Never understood this "unrepentant" thing, I believe it's more about honesty than being apologetic.

Nick C. said:
The Hitch said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
Nick C. said:

Good point
Yup. I didn't know his palmares so that slipped right past me. Well, I did notice he was a monster in the Giro in 2005 after not being much of a stage racer before, but still. Live and learn.

We'll have to wait for the book, but he could mean a switch from low octane to high octane, or EPO to EPO + BB, instead of just clean to doping.

May 21, 2010
Visit site

TourOfSardinia said:
glassmoon said:
Not really.
In today's Gazzetta there are 2 pages on cycling
and of that there is space for just one tiny final
about Di Luca's book.

And don't get them started on Berlusconi!

ray j willings said:
MartinGT said:
StryderHells said:
glassmoon said:

Spot on.
Hypocrisy is rank among posters on here as well. They preach that everyone is doped and that's the only way you can compete and yet they still make moralistic judgements against them. That's hypocrisy.
I have no issues with athletes doping . Their health should be taken care of and things would be a lot better if doping was made legal and "the morons" would stop getting up in arms because of how fast a man rides a cycle or runs a marathon. "Choice" " Freedom" and not to be judged by morons who can't ride a bike up a mountain or cant run a marathon.

But surely doing it all without assistance is better than being on the gear, wanting a proper test of ones physical abilities and not a test of who has the best pharmacist isn't a moralistic judgement made by morons but a perfectly healthy way of looking at life

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

StryderHells said:
ray j willings said:
MartinGT said:
StryderHells said:
glassmoon said:

Spot on.

But surely doing it all without assistance is better than being on the gear, wanting a proper test of ones physical abilities and not a test of who has the best pharmacist isn't a moralistic judgement made by morons but a perfectly healthy way of looking at life

Its not the best pharmacist. Armstrong for instance has a genetic advantage over most of us. That's why Ferrari was keen to work with him.
You see the same names at the top of the leaders /winners board because they are the best.
Now and then we have a shock win but very rarely in a GT. Its always the usual suspects .
I mean sometimes I think people with less talent just use doping as an excuse because they were /are not good enough to reach the very top. How many people reach those heights? very few because as much as some seem to think its just the drugs working it's not. Some riders dope and it lets them reach their potential. An example is Froome , you could say that without it he never showed tour winning potential but you have other riders who you could dope day and night who looked like they had more potential but could never win a GT.

I'm more concerned about motor doping to be honest. That I would call cheating.
I don't have a issue with EPO or blood doping.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Never liked him. He overdid it, always. Over the top doper. Wouldnt even read his book when I got payed for it.

Natural born liar.

Doesnt mean he is sometimes right.

This.

I remember when Di Luca got his ban reduced and joined Katusha, yet said at the same time he didn't betray the code of omerta for the reduction.

No time for him.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ray J Willings - apart from the fact i disagree with everything you say. If a rider can get a 10% performance increase from a motor in his bike and another can get a 10% performance increase from doping. Why is mechanical doping worse?

TRENDING THREADS