• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, Salazar has a 4 year ban...
Had to google it because I hadn't heard of it yet, but this pleases me very much.

Coaching Legend Alberto Salazar Gets 4 Year Doping Ban

Coaching Legend Alberto Salazar Gets 4 Year Doping Ban
Huge news in the middle of Worlds

With Nike's money behind him I'm sure it was very difficult, but glad they finally took Salazar down. (I have no doubt the athletes he had coached were doped up, but that's a different story for a different day.)

On a sidenote - I live in "TrackTown", Oregon , can't wait to read the Oregon news and see in how much denial the locals are.

Well, Salazar has a 4 year ban...
Now, many people, not specifically me, would see that as looking quite bad for Mo Farah. Some people might look at his sudden improvement under Salazar as suspicious. Again, not accusing him of doping, but all I am saying is that some people out there might believe it.

I've watched enough kwasi kwarteng interviews now to have nailed this method of heavy-implication-but-never-accusation.

Now, many people, not specifically me, would see that as looking quite bad for Mo Farah. Some people might look at his sudden improvement under Salazar as suspicious. Again, not accusing him of doping, but all I am saying is that some people out there might believe it.

I've watched enough kwasi kwarteng interviews now to have nailed this method of heavy-implication-but-never-accusation.
I think one would have to seriously suspend disbelief to think Farah was clean at this point. Frankly at any point, but now?

Good that FINALLY Salazar was suspended. The bad is that none of his athletes have been busted, when the chances of being on drugs under his 'guidance' are pretty high, starting with Britain's darling Mo...Mo struggled to just make finals, then when he did, he was easily beaten by many of his rivals. On comes 2011 and he's a world beater. He toyed with the field. He ran at the back, he would sprint to the middle, then fall back, and then seemingly with ease run to the front and cover moves the rest of the way, then outkick his rivals, starting as early as 600 m from the finish. Really wish he is busted one day. Likewise his buddy, Rupp. There was no 'grey area' or 'marginal gains,' Salazar's athletes were doping. Nike, as always, protects their athletes (investments).

In regards to the World Championships going on right now in Doha, it's disgusting to see Coleman, someone who missed three tests but because of some ridiculous 'technicality' he gets to compete in Doha and beyond. And what about ol' Justin Gatlin? 37 years old and still sprinting for medals. Where is the savior of clean sport Travis Tygart? Is he going to say something, or is he more concerned with what the Russians are doing (or aren't doing)? Hypocrites all around.

Reactions: macbindle
I'm just catching up with the LetsRun message board now, this is so huge, this will be hours' worth of reading entertainment! (Am not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums, so will forego it for now.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Nike Oregon Project, Salazar basically is the Nike Oregon Project. Not to directly implicated them because that's a different discussion, but some of the former and current members include (and I'm borrowing this list from the LetsRun forum):

List of NOP athletes:

United States Galen Rupp
United States Jordan Hasay
United States Shannon Rowbury
Japan Suguru Osako
United States Craig Engels
United States Clayton Murphy
United States Eric Jenkins
Netherlands Sifan Hassan
Ethiopia Yomif Kejelcha
United States Donavan Brazier
Germany Konstanze Klosterhalfen
Australia Jessica Hull

Former members

United Kingdom Mo Farah
Canada Cam Levins
United States Dorian Ulrey
United States Tara Erdmann
United States Luke Puskedra
United States Dathan Ritzenhein
United States Mary Cain
United States Treniere Moser
United States Kara Goucher
United States Adam Goucher
United States Matthew Centrowitz, Jr.

Also former:

Alan Webb
Amy Yoder Begley
Jackie Areson
Josh Rohatinsky

Fancy Bears documents showed Farah was under suspicion by IAAF in 2015-16 testing programme, but later tests led them to think he was clean.

Happy with this. I remember watching Farah and Rupp smoking Kenyans (with their own 'track'record) and Ethiopians in the same race. But this news needs to be the start, not the end. I actually completely ceased watching athletics as I consider it a complete joke, including very much in comparison to cycling.

Embarassing for UK media as commentator Steve Cram, who is rightly so indignant about Gatlin, is defending Farah to the absolute hilt, saying Farah shouldn't be judged by his association with Salazar and is a "great champion".

Nothing to see here!

Happy with this. I remember watching Farah and Rupp smoking Kenyans (with their own 'track'record) and Ethiopians in the same race. But this news needs to be the start, not the end. I actually completely ceased watching athletics as I consider it a complete joke, including very much in comparison to cycling.

Embarassing for UK media as commentator Steve Cram, who is rightly so indignant about Gatlin, is defending Farah to the absolute hilt, saying Farah shouldn't be judged by his association with Salazar and is a "great champion".

Nothing to see here!

Yep, Cram's being sticking the boot into Coleman as well as Gatlin . No doubt he'll be blowing smoke up Saint Dina's rear tonight.

Nothing to see here!
Heh, I moved away from following athletics some years ago because of all the doping and have moved toward cycling, and you know what? It feels just like home here. :tearsofjoy:

There are so many parallels and so many familiar figures playing in this track and field drama - Nike, Tygart, and even Lance is mentioned. Of course, Salazar and Phil Knight are attached at the hip, so removing Salazar's name from a building that had been dedicated to him won't be as easy as removing Lance's name from his respective building. The only thing missing now is a Salazar interview with Oprah...

I don't believe it's behind a paywall, but, I think this article sums up the whole circus fairly well. https://www.registerguard.com/sport...mer-athletes-led-to-alberto-salazars-downfall

Btw., it's hard to shock me these days, but Salazar rubbing testosterone gel on his own son as an experiment I find truly perturbing. I'm sure the son was already an adult (at least I hope to hell he was) and could make his own decisions, but the whole thing still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I think one would have to seriously suspend disbelief to think Farah was clean at this point. Frankly at any point, but now?

In fairness to anyone who defends Mo, if you look at the all time lists (just checking out the 10,000 metres now), novices of the sport could argue that today's athletes are clean, as nobody has got at all close to the world record for many years. None of the thirteen fastest men ever have come post 2006, which surprises me actually, because I thought that the big change was the EPO test in 2000, why can't an athlete even get within a second per lap of Bekele today, especially if they are doped to the gills?

Edit: Just seen that Ethiopians became 4th, 5th and 7th fastest of all time in the 5,000 last year, so maybe it's just that a fast 10,000 isn't a priority of today's top distance runners?

That women's 1500. Hassan 6th fastest ever behind Genzebe Dibaba and 4 Chinese athletes from the 90s. The American who came 4th ran a time never previously achieved by anyone other than Dibaba, the Chinese, Soviets and a Romanian in the 80s.

A shout out as well for the three best shot puts since the end of the Cold War.

They might all be clean, but the make up of the winning 4x100 team isn't a great advert for the sport. Gatlin obviously, Rodgers served a ban and whilst there is no evidence Coleman has ever done anything wrong his recent troubles are well known.

Reading the AAA decision on USADA's case against Salazar, it's hard not co come across a bit Paula Radcliffe. Here we've got a case of doping (Salazar ordering Magness to take an illegal IV of L-Carnitine) but no one's doped (unlike the USADA Six in the LA case, Magness does not appear to have been sent to the naughty step, not even for the weekend). If you read the whole of the AAA decision, you're left thinking that - if this is all USADA have on Salazar - Travis Tygart should have been calling it the least sophisticated, unprofessional and unsuccessful doping programme that sport has ever seen.

One illegal IV of a legal supplement, a few athletes advised to not disclose their legal use of that legal supplement on anti-doping forms, possible micro-dosing with testosterone ... where's the EPO? Where's the good stuff? Is this really where the bleeding edge of doping is today?

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Nike wind down Oregon Project:
Nike said it will shut down the Oregon Project, the athletics training programme funded by the US sportswear giant, following a doping scandal that has engulfed the company.
From Nike chief executive Mark Parker's statement to staff:
“I want to reiterate that Nike has always tried to put the athlete and their needs at the front of all our decisions. While the [Usada] panel found there was no orchestrated doping, no finding that performance-enhancing drugs have ever been used on Oregon Project athletes and went out of its way to note Alberto [Salazar]’s desire to follow all rules, ultimately Alberto can no longer coach while the appeal is pending.

“This situation, along with ongoing unsubstantiated assertions is a distraction for many of the athletes and is compromising their ability to focus on their training and competition needs. I have therefore made the decision to wind down the Oregon project.”

TRENDING THREADS