• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Austria

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So as i understand it they (the Seppelt Boys and the Authorities) already know their names for quite some time, but no consequences so far for the involved riders. They also said that there is a swiss pro who doped (not specified IF he is a cyclist though) and Mark Schmidt doped riders at the Tour de Suisse und Tour de Romandie.
also the Giro, Tour de France, Turkey, California and Poland were mentioned for 2018. At least one of the already convicted riders (Durasek, Bozic, Koren, Preidler, Denifl) participated in each of those races though, so it not necessarily means that others were involved.

And yes, the authorities know the names, but as it happened longer than 5 years ago, there are no criminal consequences. So it's down to German NADA to punish them (as there's a 10 years windows for them) - and they are usually fairly slow and not exactly transparent at all.

So as i understand it they (the Seppelt Boys and the Authorities) already know their names for quite some time, but no consequences so far for the involved riders. They also said that there is a swiss pro who doped (not specified IF he is a cyclist though) and Mark Schmidt doped riders at the Tour de Suisse und Tour de Romandie.

Curious how Seppelt has access to all this information and seemingly no other journalist does. Really have to wonder what his actual role is, and why he is so quiet on German doping.

So there was doping going on under Schmidt's guidance, but hardly anyone has been exposed, except lowly Estonian xc skiers, Poltoranin (a high profile xc skier from Kazakhstan) and a couple Slovenian and Austrian cyclists? Where are the high profile names? Where are the Germans? A clinic in Germany led by a German doctor and no German names? I call BS on that. This may turn out to be weaker than Operation Puerto, and that's saying something.

two more German cyclists were part of this. Both did the Tour de France in the past, and one of them is still active

The doping treatments happened in 2012 and 2013:

So we can probably strike out the "youngsters" who were still riding on CT level in 2013. That leaves us with these still active riders who did the Tour at least once:

Arndt, Nikias
Burghardt, Marcus
Degenkolb, John
Fröhlinger, Johannes (to retire next week)
Geschke, Simon
Greipel, André
Kluge, Roger
Knees, Christian
Martens, Paul
Martin, Tony
Schillinger, Andreas
Selig, Rüdiger
Sieberg, Marcel

and these who (more or less) recently have retired from cycling:

(retired in 2019) Kittel, Marcel
(retired in 2019) Wagner, Robert
(retired in 2017) Gretsch, Patrick
(retired in 2016) Ciolek, Gerald
(retired in 2016) Gerdemann Linus
(retired in 2016) Nerz, Dominik
(retired in 2016) Voss, Paul
(retired in 2016) Wegmann, Fabian
(retired in 2015) Förster, Robert
(retired in 2015) Schumacher, Stefan
(retired in 2014) Sinkewitz, Patrik
(retired in 2014) Voigt, Jens
(retired in 2013) Fothen, Markus
(retired in 2013) Grabsch, Bert
(retired in 2013) Hondo, Danilo (confessed already)
(retired in 2013) Klier, Andreas
(retired in 2013) Klöden, Andreas
(retired in 2013) Schröder, Björn
(retired in 2012) Niermann, Grischa

if the information from the ARD are correct, one from each list was a customer of Dr Schmidt.

The UCI suspicion index that was leaked in 2011 had Klöden and Tony Martin scoring a 7 out of 10 and Gerdemann and Knees a 6 out of 10. Next highest rider on either list above was Ciolek on a 3 I believe. Obviously Hondo scored an 8 out of 10 but he’s already confessed.

I doubt the riders are (former) stars, judging by the way the article was written and the focus on "prestigious ProTour teams" rather than on the two riders themselves.

Also, I doubt Martin was on some run-of-the-mill doping program back in those days. He was flying back then.

This whole case is likely small potatoes.

I doubt the riders are (former) stars, judging by the way the article was written and the focus on "prestigious ProTour teams" rather than on the two riders themselves.

Also, I doubt Martin was on some run-of-the-mill doping program back in those days. He was flying back then.

This whole case is likely small potatoes.
Flying as in taking anytghing known to men not just blood doping?

This is has probably been in the news elsewhere and I missed it, but what is the previously undetectable drug (not yet on the Market) they turned up in Aderlass that they are now back-testing TDF samples to find?
“Het Nieuwsblad now reports that the retesting is focused on an unnamed doping product of American origin,”

The article states there were several banned substances that couldn't be tested for before that they are testing for now. However according to the article there is a specific drug they are testing for that is reported to be of American origin. It would be nice to know what it is they are testing for. The retesting for several drugs is being done on both 2016 and 2017 samples, but the one specific one is being retested specifically on the 2017 Tour samples.

The article states there were several banned substances that couldn't be tested for before that they are testing for now. However according to the article there is a specific drug they are testing for that is reported to be of American origin. It would be nice to know what it is they are testing for. The retesting for several drugs is being done on both 2016 and 2017 samples, but the one specific one is being retested specifically on the 2017 Tour samples.
Yes, that’s the one I’d be most interested to learn about.

Reactions: Koronin
Same here. I also want to know how there is one from American (I'm guessing US) origin and we still don't have any top riders. That one caught my attention and I want to know what it is.

If the hints are coming from Operation Aderlass I doubt it is something very effective and eye-catching. Unless Roglic is involved the results of this re-testing will probably be rather unspectacular. So far the OA has brought doping to light that was probably rather cheap and something for the "minor" riders of the WT.

If the hints are coming from Operation Aderlass I doubt it is something very effective and eye-catching. Unless Roglic is involved the results of this re-testing will probably be rather unspectacular. So far the OA has brought doping to light that was probably rather cheap and something for the "minor" riders of the WT.

It may very well be unspectacular, but it would still be nice to know what the drug is.

Actually, the article says

there were a number of banned substances that were not available on the regular pharmaceutical market and for which there were no optimal detection methods in the labs. In the meantime, those methods have been improved,

This would be a long-shot, but AICAR would fit the criterion. While there are tests for it, since it's naturally occurring, these tests haven't been really good. I think they use a threshold, like testosterone. Also, while the drug has been used in medicine since the 1980s, I think it was an American lab that first reported PE effects. But if they were going to re-test TDF samples for AICAR, I'd think they would focus on last year, as there were rumors of riders using it then.

Actually, the article says

This would be a long-shot, but AICAR would fit the criterion. While there are tests for it, since it's naturally occurring, these tests haven't been really good. I think they use a threshold, like testosterone. Also, while the drug has been used in medicine since the 1980s, I think it was an American lab that first reported PE effects. But if they were going to re-test TDF samples for AICAR, I'd think they would focus on last year, as there were rumors of riders using it then.

It just says several over those two years, but one specific one for the 2017 Tour and apparently only for that Tour which is interesting. It doesn't give any specifics, but the one specific one is the one I'm interested in knowing more out of curiosity than anything else. That one may very well be the one they are looking for.

TRENDING THREADS