• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Speaking of second order effects:

And from VG:

Can you give a 10 second rundown for someone who can only speak English?

Sure, but there are far more diplomatic ways to do it, too, and given the status and gravitas that Carlsen has as a name and a voice in the chess community, to just go "take ball go home" and then resign by switching the webcam off and tantruming out of the room, rather than actually say anything about what he wasn't happy with (leaving us with that Mourinho interview post) while speculation ran wild?

Even if he may have been right about Hans, and certainly there had been plenty questioning him before all this kicked off anyway given his history and rapid development, if you didn't know who either of them were and were just given their ages, you'd have been forgiven for thinking Magnus was the teenager and Niemann the 30-something from their behaviour after the game that sparked it.
Niemann definitely does not come across like a 30-something from his behaviour.

Reactions: Bubba
Croatian football player Mario Vuskovic (Hamburger SV, 2nd Bundesliga in Germany) had a positive test - with EPO. This is unusual and quite interesting, we all know here there’s no EPO in football lol lol lol

That‘s going to be exciting.

Croatian football player Mario Vuskovic (Hamburger SV, 2nd Bundesliga in Germany) had a positive test - with EPO. This is unusual and quite interesting, we all know here there’s no EPO in football lol lol lol

That‘s going to be exciting.

Wow, and he's only 20!

There are probably some bigger stars they could pop in the Bundesliga, but I suppose this guy will do for now.

Reactions: steffr222
If chess counts as an acceptable topic then certainly cheating at Wordle deserves to to be discussed. Very possibly it's own thread.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Koronin

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet.

Huge name in the tri world popped for EPO.
What seems most unusual is his owning up to it right away and not rolling out some mind-numbing excuse. I wonder how stringent testing is in triathlon compared to cycling?

Reactions: Cookster15
What seems most unusual is his owning up to it right away and not rolling out some mind-numbing excuse. I wonder how stringent testing is in triathlon compared to cycling?
Yea I can respect the fact that there were no BS excuses. That said, if anyone believes his "confession", then I have a bridge to sell you.....

Basically this guy had a break out year last year. Won an ironman as well as a huge triathlon in Dallas that had big money. Yet, he claims that he didn't start to dope until this past off-season. Like cmon....you win some awesome races against the best in the world while clean, and then you decide to dope?! Someone wants to hang on to their prize money.

• Sad
Reactions: Bolder
Yea I can respect the fact that there were no BS excuses. That said, if anyone believes his "confession", then I have a bridge to sell you.....

Basically this guy had a break out year last year. Won an ironman as well as a huge triathlon in Dallas that had big money. Yet, he claims that he didn't start to dope until this past off-season. Like cmon....you win some awesome races against the best in the world while clean, and then you decide to dope?! Someone wants to hang on to their prize money.
Oops, I missed that part, glad you pointed that out. There is this interesting psychological phenomenon with dopers that even when Admitting they doped they carve out an area where they still deny. Okay, this is a small sample size but I’m referring to Floyd’s “yea I doped but I really, really wasn’t using testosterone that I tested positive for,” Tyler says something like that it in his book about one type of doping, and some others I can’t recall right now.
In this case, as you point out, there’s a clear monetary incentive to say “I did but I didn’t then.”

Tri seems to have a problem with blood/EPO, there was a few big busts before the Olympics too.
Indeed looks like this is the case.

One shouldn't still conclude that every successful triathlete is doping. The benefit from EPO is likely significant in the shorter sprint/olympic distances, but not necessarily that much so in the Ironman distances, when the competition takes almost 8 hours. The effort is well below lactate threshold, and the oxygen supply and demand are quite adequately matched in the course of the race. Likely there is some benefit from higher thresholds, higher body pH level and better thermoregulation, when more blood can be diverted towards dissipating heat.

When Soviet scientists researched blood doping on efforts of different duration in the 1970s, they observed that 800m and 1500m runners improved their performance by ~3 % but 10000m runners only by ~1 %. It is still noteworthy that when Conconi told Donati about the benefits of transfusions in 1981-1982, he made no mention of diminishing returns with longer distances.

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet.

Huge name in the tri world popped for EPO.
I was waiting for this to happen. He came out of relative nowhere to all the sudden be among the favorites for Kona then was nowhere to be found all day and took like 35th. The top of that sport is arguably worse than cycling. Less testing but also probably less professionalism given the self employed nature of pros randomly doing their own programs.

Edit: The guy who coaches Chartier is Mikal Iden, Gustav Iden’s older brother and a coach for the Norwegian Triathlon Federation. Aka the World Champ Gustav Iden, and very close relations to Kristian Blummenfelt and the Norwegian Method. With how data oriented and science driven these guys are, there’s no way Mikal wasn’t aware of the doping if not playing a big role in it. There could be a big scandal headed our way.

Last edited:
I was waiting for this to happen. He came out of relative nowhere to all the sudden be among the favorites for Kona then was nowhere to be found all day and took like 35th. The top of that sport is arguably worse than cycling. Less testing but also probably less professionalism given the self employed nature of pros randomly doing their own programs.

Edit: The guy who coaches Chartier is Mikal Iden, Gustav Iden’s older brother and a coach for the Norwegian Triathlon Federation. Aka the World Champ Gustav Iden, and very close relations to Kristian Blummenfelt and the Norwegian Method. With how data oriented and science driven these guys are, there’s no way Mikal wasn’t aware of the doping if not playing a big role in it. There could be a big scandal headed our way.
Interesting. I always think that coaches at the very least know if their athlete is on gear, too. But I suspect they work hard to create plausible deniability.

Reactions: Sciatic