• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 644 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the main factor skipping races are not current injuries but possibility that Jonas will not race Tour or will not be 100% and Pogi will have Giro (with or without crashes) in legs. Roglič and team want to be 120% prepared and not risking new injuries. This year is once in a life time (career) chance to win Tour.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Reactions: Lequack
One of the biggest things in his favor with Vingegaard either not participating or being close to 100% is that Jumbo won’t be riding full gas every stage the whole way like last year. That’d slowly wear him down for the final week. UAE might try, though with 4 leaders plus Pogacar doing the Giro they probably won’t want to burn everyone. Roglic and Bora would just have to control the race if UAE uses their leaders to their advantage with attacks everywhere. Trek/Hart, Carapaz/EFE, Ineos/Rodriguez, and Quickstep/Evenepoel could all cause problems as well if they’re in great shape.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
One of the biggest things in his favor with Vingegaard either not participating or being close to 100% is that Jumbo won’t be riding full gas every stage the whole way like last year. That’d slowly wear him down for the final week. UAE might try, though with 4 leaders plus Pogacar doing the Giro they probably won’t want to burn everyone. Roglic and Bora would just have to control the race if UAE uses their leaders to their advantage with attacks everywhere. Trek/Hart, Carapaz/EFE, Ineos/Rodriguez, and Quickstep/Evenepoel could all cause problems as well if they’re in great shape.
At the very least it should be more of a free-for-all with some surprises. UAE would need to be aggressive if they take an early leadership role which would depend on Pogacar's recovery from the Giro.
IMO some teams with no realistic chance for the overall could upset a predictable Tour because they see an opportunity to take the jersey for awhile. Publicity is all good.

Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
Why not do fleche man there is literally nobody to win it without him, we gonna get like skejmose vs Vlasov. Last 2 years he skipped spring races to focus on Le tour, it didn't go well

Without the crash he would definitelly race. But with a sore knee (we all know how things went when he raced Itzulia 2022 with an injured knee) the risk is a lot higher.

On the other hand I think that with top-form Vinge out of the picture and Pogačar doing the Giro, the team and Roglič thought, damn, we actually have a good chance at the Tour. Now let us do everything possible to maximize that chance.

I do regret him not being at F-W, because it would be a crime for him to not win that at least once in his career. For LBL I am more indifferent. He has already won it once and realistically, there is no way he is beating pre Giro Pog on a 250km monument. I was hoping he might add Romandie, but healing all the injuries is the priority.

Dauphine route is very nice, and with no Vinge and questionable a Remco (will he even go there now, or will he rather just prepare for the Tour?), it is a perfect chance to build some confidence, get a win or three under the belt and prepare for the big one in July.

Reactions: Sandisfan