• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 645 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Froome will win the cobbles stages too, and then keep yellow all the way to Paris.

man if Froome is this good already, just wait until he unleashes full blown mutant mode in the mountains.

The whole thing was just stupid. Not even so much the result. People claiming in the race thread he was explosive when he just put the most freak rpm spins I've ever seen, for pretty much the entire climb! It was Mont Ventoux-like accelaration for the entire Mur de freaking Huy.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The way I undestand explosivenss it's about how quickly you can accelerate and then sustain for a while up a hill, not cadence. It's about being able to win or come close to winning hill top finishes.

With that performance, there is no doubting that Froome is very explosive.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ah it wasn't that bad, if he would have passed purito then we're talking mont ventoux 2013 circumstances. Love it, nibali better destroys him tomorrow.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
The way I undestand explosivenss it's about how quickly you can accelerate and then sustain for a while up a hill, not cadence. It's about being able to win or come close to winning hill top finishes.

With that performance, there is no doubting that Froome is very explosive.

He really cannot have been explosive if he didn't jump away with an attack. I never denied he was explosive, though.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Froome looks like an exited little boy with a new bike going as fast as possible over every climb. In real life that kid will be passed by all his friends on the second or third climb, in pro-cycling you win Le Tour...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Ah it wasn't that bad, if he would have passed purito then we're talking mont ventoux 2013 circumstances. Love it, nibali better destroys him tomorrow.
this was ventoux mutant level imo. Don't forget Dawg was in front for most of the climb and also a bit on the descent. 2nd fastest time ever on huy.

now I just wait for the tailwinds to show up.

Re: Re:

the sceptic said:
Miburo said:
this was ventoux mutant level imo. Don't forget Dawg was in front for most of the climb and also a bit on the descent. 2nd fastest time ever on huy.

I am agreeing with sceptic.

And I haven't gotten clinic hysterical since last year's Pais Vasco.

the sceptic said:
Miburo said:

Really? I thought purito climbed last km in 2:50, which won't put him in top 10 at all.

Re:

Lyon said:
Froome looks like an exited little boy with a new bike going as fast as possible over every climb. In real life that kid will be passed by all his friends on the second or third climb, in pro-cycling you win Le Tour...

True that. Only thing missing on Froome's bike are the rear-view mirrors on the drops of his handlebars.
Also, I had to laugh at Phil Ligget's suggestion that Purito was still trying to catch his breath while standing on the podium.
He seemed pretty relaxed to me.

An awful lot of people thing Froome has this won now.

All this shows is that Froome is in decent condition and is better as the short sharp stuff than people expected.
Nibs and Quintana did as expected.

This doesnt' mean they wont be super strong on a real climb. No one is hyping up Purito or Dan Martin for the GC based on their performance today. Its the same for Froome surely.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

AICA ribonucleotide said:

All this shows is that Froome is in decent condition and is better as the short sharp stuff than people expected.

This doesnt' mean they wont be super strong on a real climb. No one is hyping up Purito or Dan Martin for the GC based on their performance today. Its the same for Froome surely.
No, it's not the same at all. Froome has already demonstrated that his best climbing in the high mountains is extremely strong in the last two years.

Today's performance means that he'll probably reach his best like he did in 2013. Maybe he gets unlucky or gets the tactics wrong, but if the rest of the Tour comes down to climbing, he's the clear favourite now.

Re:

AICA ribonucleotide said:

Purito is on a mission, that's for certain. He wants to bag a gt win before retiring into the sunset, and he's been flying under the radar until now. This could be his year. No doubt team K are hoping that Froome crashes out on the cobbles.

Re:

meat puppet said:
well, to be fair to froome, he gave a warning in a pre tour interview saying that thanks to tech advancements he can beat doped times.

Which lead some of us to write that he obviously has carthe blanche to say these utterly ridicoulus things with no questions asked. This is going to be a long Tour.

Having said that i still hope some fun will come out of this. The Froome factor for example. Hopefully the guy have so much fun with his new equipments that he shows us how far the...equipment...has evolved.

No_Balls said:
meat puppet said:
well, to be fair to froome, he gave a warning in a pre tour interview saying that thanks to tech advancements he can beat doped times.

Which lead some of us to write that he obviously has carthe blanche to say these utterly ridicoulus things with no questions asked. This is going to be a long Tour.

Having said that i still hope some fun will come out of this. The Froome factor for example. Hopefully the guy have so much fun with his new equipments that he shows us how far the...equipment...has evolved.

In before the shill media presents that as a valid reason.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Froome's performance seemed natural to me, he didn't go with the acceleration of Purito just rode at a high pace with a constant cadence up the hill. If anyone is suspicious it's Purito who despite his huge accelaration still managed to hold off Froome at the end. This coming from a 36 year old who prior to turning 30 had never shown anything of note and whom rides for a team which is highly suspicious. Froome on the other hand has had a linear progression 2011 onwards (and before hand had some decent results), rides for a team with a 0 tolerance on doping, and let respectable journalists such as Walsh spend time with them to make sure they are not doping. I sincerly believe Froome's performance today is merely a result of the millions of dollars invested by Sky in equipement research, marginal gains, specific training and everything else that has helped them as a clean team compete with the druggies (Valverde, Contador and their teams). This thread I feel is a huge insult to the hard work put forward to help cycling move towards a brighter future in this post Lance Armstrong and mass team doping era.