• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 510 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Danielovich said:
I have to post this once again. I haven't read the Kimmage piece but apparently Froome says in there somewhere, that he does specific wind-tunnel training for the high cadence attacks.

Can anyone confirm if anything like that is being said in the interview ?

Go in 2:45 in this video interview with Froome where he states on camera that he haven't done any specific training for that attacking-method. I know it's from last year and there might be a change in his training-program of course, but I still find it strange that the stories contradict all the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay48ZWkoeHU

And then Kerrison in another interviews, also around a year ago, states the opposite and claims his intervel training to be the key. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/15/team-sky-chris-froome-tour-de-france

Thanks for that. I knew all those contradictions existed but I didn't have the links on hand.

Let's look at the first one.

July 15, 2013
The day after Froome’s victory on Mt. Ventoux.

When asked about the training behind his high-cadence attack...

Ummm, I haven’t done any actually specific training of high-cadence or anything like that, ummm...it must just be...heat of the moment in the race, uh...but, uh...yeah, maybe something I should think about factoring into my training <he says with a sarcastic tone>. Thanks (then dismissively puts down microphone, putting and end to the topic of conversation).

In direct contrast to that, some excerpts from the second link:

July 15, 2013

"Pete Kennaugh was laughing at the end of the stage," said Kerrison. "He said the way Chris rode that climb was exactly what we do in training every second day.

The guys in the team who train that way look at [Froome's attack] and think, 'He's rehearsed that way of riding, three or four times a week for the last two years'."

"There is a significant increase [in drag] when you attack out of the saddle compared to staying seated and keeping your body narrow.

Froome's high cadence was surprising, but not rehearsed in training, the race leader said. One explanation is he had no option but to spin the pedals faster because changing on to the larger chainring at the moment of attack brings the risk of derailing the chain and aborting the attack, as Andy Schleck found in 2011. :D
Kerrison adds that about once a week Sky's riders practise riding in the highest cadences they can manage, basically for fun.
So...it's not rehearsed. They just practice that "for fun."

OK. Maybe someone else can reconcile those apparently contradictory statements better than I.

Granville57 said:
OK. Maybe someone else can reconcile those apparently contradictory statements better than I.

Oh, I'm positive someone will come up with something involving some very unlikely forces.

Kerrison is another cycling beard. Carmichael, Lim and Kerrison in a pub with a few pints would be total nonsense. The name dropping, pretending their phones are ringing with athletes on the other end. One of those three would surely take Millar's call.

We're not even close to a "Jump the Shark" episode. This is going to be great!

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Do you think that other journalists will react in the wake of this interview?

It only takes a couple of sceptical reporters from a major newspaper to knock him off his throne. He seems more fragile than ever.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
So we have new Superhero!

Introducing... THE VROOOMAN!!!

Robbing toddlers, beating Clentador and other outlaws. With human touch and python love. Superpower hidden in The Inhaler. Alway$ attacking The Evil at 200rpm. Marginally.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Granville57 said:
Thanks for that. I knew all those contradictions existed but I didn't have the links on hand.

Let's look at the first one.

July 15, 2013
The day after Froome’s victory on Mt. Ventoux.

When asked about the training behind his high-cadence attack...

In direct contrast to that, some excerpts from the second link:

July 15, 2013

So...it's not rehearsed. They just practice that "for fun."

In Joe Friel's book they're called, "spinups" and are included in the example training programs as a means to loosen up your leg muscles and get you moving your legs at a high cadence.

They also help to make training a bit more interesting in the base period where you might spend a lot of time at Z2.

Given Kerrison had never seen a cyclist before, I can imagine he implemented ideas from something called the "Cyclist's training bible". Particularly given Joe's son is a founder of training peaks, the power-based training software package that sponsored Sky and was used to explain Kerrison's coaching skill in 2012.

I like this photo. It's striking. Everyone is putting in an effort, but doing so whilst holding good form.

Except the Dawg, who looks worse than a Cat 3 rider.

What's going on there? :confused:

2niwht5.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Once he'll use the Sky's wind tunnel (do other teams even have such advanced technology?) to find out that his elbow position isn't aero, he will gain another 50 watts :eek:

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
I like this photo. It's striking. Everyone is putting in an effort, but doing so whilst holding good form.

Except the Dawg, who looks worse than a Cat 3 rider.

What's going on there? :confused:

2niwht5.jpg

I still don't get how that octopus arm position can be an advantage..
Is it really comfortable to ride like that..
Surely should be possible to prolong the handle bars to a more natural arm position..

I guess it's one of those marginal gain things that no one understands but Brailsford... :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
contador and froome seem to have a ridiculously low body fat percentage. by the looks of it, froome has probably surgically removed part of his arm musculature as well for some further marginal gains

TRENDING THREADS