• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 918 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
With Wiggins full of cortisone and who knows what else, Froome was still considerably stronger than Wiggins at La Vuelta '11 and La Tour '12.

Wonder what gave Froome the wings to be better than Wiggins big injections and other things?

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
aru was guided by ferrari. I"m sure of that also him coming from palazzago team. so yes he was the only one. this year no more transfusions and help from ferrari and we've seen the real aru, one who fades in the third week. I'm sure that's why nibali hates him and there are 2 camps. the aru camp who try to reach for the boundaries of what is allowed and or not traced and nibali camp, who rides clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_g4BJregQ :rolleyes:

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
aru was guided by ferrari. I"m sure of that also him coming from palazzago team. so yes he was the only one. this year no more transfusions and help from ferrari and we've seen the real aru, one who fades in the third week. I'm sure that's why nibali hates him and there are 2 camps. the aru camp who try to reach for the boundaries of what is allowed and or not traced and nibali camp, who rides clean

You're absolutely right...Aru faded badly in the 3rd week. Therefore, your assertion is that a clean top GT contender would/should show similar characteristics of Aru in the 3rd week of a GT? (absence an illness or injury). So, why, in your opinion, are other top GT guys not showing fatigue and fading badly in the 3rd week of a GT, particularly in the high climbs? Even the 70s & 80s had widespread use of steriods, amphetamines & T, which I think would aid in recovery somewhat during a gruelling GT.

And Nabali? Why didn't he also fade in the 3rd week of the Giro, like his teammate, Aru, did in the Tour? Nabali looked awful strong after his miracle resurrection in the Giro.

I'm really trying to follow your logic on this...

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
The whole doping thing has always annoyed me, but what they've done to Froome actually scares me, it's almost like it's some kind of secret government cyborg program - it's turning cycling into a freak show, the whole TUE thing is small beer in comparison

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Benotti69 said:
With Wiggins full of cortisone and who knows what else, Froome was still considerably stronger than Wiggins at La Vuelta '11 and La Tour '12.

Wonder what gave Froome the wings to be better than Wiggins big injections and other things?

Natural talent.

The same natural talent that carried him to his epic top 90 at the 08 TdF
he rode for a gc placing in 2008? :rolleyes:

Re:

Barzini said:
The whole doping thing has always annoyed me, but what they've done to Froome actually scares me, it's almost like it's some kind of secret government cyborg program - it's turning cycling into a freak show, the whole TUE thing is small beer in comparison

I don’t think the TUE stuff can compare to the benefits of O2-vector doping in relation to endurance sports. Wouldn't the TUE drugs be put in the same realm of Armstrong’s characterization of "low-octane" doping? In the 70s & 80s there was widespread use of steriods, amphetamines, T & cortisone, but it wasn't until EPO hit the peloton in the 90s that things went insane with the incredible increase in climbing speeds. In fact, both LeMond & Fignon had said they've never seen anything like it when EPO was introduced into the peloton as they were getting outclimbed by other team's domestiques. So much for substantial performance gains with "low-octane" doping in the earlier era.

So, with Froome, if he's doping what would he be doing in the era of the ABP to explain his dominant Tour performances? Even LA looked more human in his 09 comeback when he couldn't boost his below average baseline Hct 20+ % like he did during his dynasty when he just had to worry about the 50% limit. Certainly with the bio passport there's variability allowed within the upper & lower parameters of the established rider's baseline Hb/Hct. But how much could a rider boost Hct percentage-wise with EPO without infringing on the upper parameters, or transfuse and raise Hct significantly without suppressing reticulocytes too much infringing on the lower parameters? And Ashenden's paper on microdosing EPO showed a modest 10% increase in Hb mass with a corresponding average Off-score of ~116. Could a 10% increase explain dominant Tour performances? Would a rider push the Off-score up (I believe >134 is needed for conclusive evidence of blood-manipulation) in an effort to boost Hb considerably higher (probably would need more than microdosing amounts?). OTOH, with the sensitivity susposedly improving on detecting microdosing beyond the general 7-9 hr window (according to a 2013 study), are riders being advised to eliminate microdosing and only utilize transfusions to maintain a stable passport?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24190107

Could AICAR be the secret (or not so secret) weapon? The CIRC report tells us that AICAR is popular in the peloton. However, the only scientific study on AICAR is an animal model that suggests a significant increase in endurance. The main problem I see with AICAR as the magic bullet is that "everyone" would be on it and I would think by now some careless/over zealous rider would have overdosed on it causing the first positive test.

So, for The Clinic, any ideas on how Froome is so dominate in the ABP era? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
@nomad. Offtopic correction: According to the peloton at the time (and even later when boogerd and Landis rode), it was lemond himself who introduced epo into the peloton. Him falling behind in 91 and 92 had nothing to do with epo but more with his body breaking into pieces like rafael Nadal avant later lettre. Max Testa (yes that testa) said it was because lemond had used too much drugs during his carreer.
Read more in the lemond thread and the evidence thread.

Re:

sniper said:
@nomad. Offtopic correction: According to the peloton at the time (and even later when boogerd and Landis rode), it was lemond himself who introduced epo into the peloton. Him falling behind in 91 and 92 had nothing to do with epo but more with his body breaking into pieces like rafael Nadal avant later lettre. Max Testa (yes that testa) said it was because lemond had used too much drugs during his carreer.

Sorry about that sniper...I didn't know. I generally don't follow the LeMond threads as my research is more on PED use in the modern era and the ABP. I just assumed that it was general consensus that LeMond never used EPO or any PEDs. I always fiqured that with his freakishly high VO2max, he was a naturally talented endurance athlete who couldn't keep up in the EPO epidemic era, and sadly had to give up. But I know you have done extensive research in that area...so I'll look at some of those threads (btw, any threads on his high VO2max?).

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

Nomad said:
sniper said:

Sorry about that sniper...I didn't know. I generally don't follow the LeMond threads as my research is more on PED use in the modern era and the ABP. I just assumed that it was general consensus that LeMond never used EPO or any PEDs. I always fiqured that with his freakishly high VO2max, he was a naturally talented endurance athlete who couldn't keep up in the EPO epidemic era, and sadly had to give up. But I know you have done extensive research in that area...so I'll look at some of those threads (btw, any threads on his high VO2max?).

When he says "According to the peloton", he's actually saying that one or two riders, that never raced with Lemond, have accused him of not only using EPO but being the godfather of doping. Of course, this is clearly contradicted by Lemond's peers who regard him as clean.

To quote Greg himself: "“It was a Dutch friend Cees Beers, founder of ADA wheels, that talked to Massimo Testa in 1994. I met Cees Beers in 1992 at the Tour of Holland. He came to see me with a set of full carbon wheels and a new technology that he said would provide me insight to everything I did in training and racing. The system was called SRM. He put me into contact with Adrie Van Diemen, whom I consider one of the best physiologists in the world. In 1993 I started and using the SRM system on a fulltime basis, and I hired Adrie as a full time trainer in August of 1993. Between the SRM data, Adrie Van Diemen, Cees Beers, my vo2 max testing that I did in MSP with another physiologist, Dan Zeman, I started to see some weird results and a definite pattern. When recovered, and with time off the bike, I could test at a world class level with a high Vo2 max, 6.4 liters of o2 at max heart rate. If I tested when exhausted, as I did just after the1991 Tour de France, my o2 intake would drop by a significant amount, in 1993 it dropped around 10%. We thought it was an anomaly until the same pattern kept repeating itself in 1992 and again in 1993 and 1994. Each time when I would return home to the USA I would get a physical and do a Vo2 max test. We started to see uptake of o2 drop by 15-20% in 92,93, and in 1994. No could understand what was going on. In 1994 Cees Beers contacted Massimo Testa to see if he might have some insight to what was going on. Massimo supposedly cut to the chase with Cees and told him that I was finished and cooked because I took so many drugs in my career, especially after my comeback in 1989. Cees was shocked and told Massimo that I was not taking drugs and that there was something else going on. It never went further than that.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/storm-exclusive-interview-greg-lemond_347148#A5gE0v06QPDCZt0D.99

John Swanson

Re:

ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:
Surprised Froome is not asking for his 2012 TdF win........:D
would any riders suggest that wiggo should be....

DQd....................? how many riders would be cleanser than cleans replacements.........?

Mark L

Good point - I think it's better to vacate the yellow jersey when a rider is DQ'd for that reason. Let's not forget that Oscar Pereiro was busted for doping after inheriting the yellow jersey from Floyd Landis.

Re:

sniper said:

You need to be a lot more specific than "According to the peloton at the time". You say this as if it is common knowledge which it is/was not and still is arguable regardless of what you may believe or attest to being fact.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:

DQd....................? how many riders would be cleanser than cleans replacements.........?

Mark L

I think the silence from current riders tells us all are abusing PEDs.

Benotti69 said:
ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:

Mark L

Possibly, but there is also the argument that would you put your head above the parapet and say anything ? I know I wouldn't, it's asking for trouble even if you are clean as a new penny. Only Sky are daft enough to do that, well in the past anyway :lol:

May 26, 2010
Visit site

bigcog said:
Benotti69 said:
ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:

Mark L

Possibly, but there is also the argument that would you put your head above the parapet and say anything ? I know I wouldn't, it's asking for trouble even if you are clean as a new penny. Only Sky are daft enough to do that, well in the past anyway :lol:

If you were clean as a new penny, would you not want the shyte from the bad pennies not to stick to you?

Nope only old pence around these days.

Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:
Benotti69 said:

Natural talent.

If it makes you happy, Froome showed more potential to end up as a Tour winner than Wiggins. But then Wiggins isn't the dominant stage racer of his era

May 26, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:
Benotti69 said:

Natural talent.

If it makes you happy, Froome showed more potential to end up as a Tour winner than Wiggins. But then Wiggins isn't the dominant stage racer of his era

Froome showed nothing, so much so that Sky wanted rid of him and he only got to ride LaVuelta in '11 because another rider, Norhaug (i think) was pulled or ill.

Wiggins had gold medals in his locker prior to transformation.

Both were grupetto fodder and transformed, but Froome's is a greater transformation.

Benotti69 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:
Benotti69 said:

Natural talent.

Froome showed nothing, so much so that Sky wanted rid of him and he only got to ride LaVuelta in '11 because another rider, Norhaug (i think) was pulled or ill.

Both were grupetto fodder and transformed, but Froome's is a greater transformation.

they were both fodder in different ways...wiggins was resolutely fodder albeit with a good alter ego on the track...froome had no good alter ego but was less established fodder (i.e. had been fodder for a shorter time)...both remarkable in their own way and certainly the most remarkable transformations in the sport since...well...since.....

:)
sniper said:
Angliru said:
You need to be a lot more specific than "According to the peloton at the time". You say this as if it is common knowledge which it is/was not and still is arguable regardless of what you may believe or attest to being fact.
The rumors aren't arguable. They're real. (again, see Lemond+evidence threads)
Scienceiscool can say it's one or two persons, but it wasn't. The rumor lived in the entire peloton, and that over at least two generations (from the Dhaenens/Gisbers era to Floyd/Boogerd era).
No, I don't pretend the rumors are common knowledge in the Clinic. I wouldn't be pointing it out to Nomad if I thought that.
To be 100% sure: the *existence* of the rumors is fact. The *veracity* of the rumors is of course debatable. I've never said anything differently.
If you have any questions or are looking for links, please ask them in the Lemond thread or in PM, I'll be happy to help you out.

gillan1969 said:
the clinic 1
gillian, it must suck not be able to call out Wiggins and Froome anymore without looking like a bit of a hypocrit. Wanna talk about it? ;)

:)

wiggins squeals like a pig, froome squeals like a pig...they are pigs

you hear lemond squealing like a pig but he sounds rather different to mostly everyone else

Benotti69 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:
Benotti69 said:

Natural talent.

So a 23 year old who finished top 35 at the Giro has less potential than a 29 year old who had finished top 100 of a GT once in 5 participations?

Froome showed enough to suggest that he could one day become a decent stage hunter/top 20 GC (maybe like Atapuma is now), unlike Wiggins who showed no climbing ability whatsoever

But this is an irrelevant argument, both their transformations have obviously been massive

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Froome was such a HUGE talent. That SKY offered him to Bruyneel, Pre Vuelta.

JV has said. That at some point Wiggo went on his own as far as training methods. If you look at his high placing at LeTour. When he was with Garmin. And look at his body the year prior. You can see the Transformation. He trained to the British Cycling Program that year. And by next season SKY bought out his final season on his Garmin Contract. Hmmm?

TRENDING THREADS