• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ontheroad said:
thehog said:
Dawg topping the charts on long range attacks :cool:

ne8heu.jpg

The fact that it was on the 19th stage of a grand tour makes it all the more remarkable. Listen to Froome being interviewed pre race, it was clearly pre planned and he wasn't ruling out taking pink at the end of the day. That is fairly astonishing when you consider that he was over 3 minutes down and had not shown a level of form that indicated he could take significant time out of his rivals never mind put in an attack from 80km out that would stick. Those justifying his performance as normal by using tactics such as a refuelling plan, superior descending, riding his way into the race etc fail to even consider the sheer physical superiority needed to pull off a performance such as Froome's never mind the fact that he carried it out solo.

Many have rightly heralded Dumoulin's ride as heroic as well and the fact that top riders such as Yates, Aru, Pinot and Chavez bonked so badly at different stages during this Giro, just shows how difficult it is to maintain a level of physical performance over 3 weeks day in day out. To do it in 3 consecutive grand tours and win them all is fairly astounding.

I would agree. Despite the downplaying by Camp Froome that his time was only made up on the descents, this chart shows just how ridiculous his performance was. He even out Shlecked Shleck! :eek:

brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:
Velon data for Finestre attack....390w at 95rpm over 3km. Normal?

Is that for the full climb? I am sure I read it was only for a portion of it.

Just for 3km when he attacked

What’s the bone of contention here, too much or too little? I know plenty amateur riders that can do 400w for 30min, granted, they outweigh him by 20kg, but still doesn’t seem that much?

Oude Geuze said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:

What’s the bone of contention here, too much or too little? I know plenty amateur riders that can do 400w for 30min, granted, they outweigh him by 20kg, but still doesn’t seem that much?

Agreed. That was my point, nothing extra terrestrial about those numbers..

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
MartinGT said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hinault-chris-froome-should-not-have-started-the-giro-he-should-be-suspended/

Dont upset the Badger

hinault4.jpg
He'd probably still whoop Froome's ass without even trying.
In a fight I'd pick someone like Francesco Moser over any of todays anorexic gc contenders. I saw him last year in Trentino and he's a big dude with a large frame, big shoulders and large forearms, he looks like a tough guy who spend most of his life working on a farm.

Oude Geuze said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:

Lol!

At 80 kg a 400 watt 20 min power puts you in the 360-388 range for FTP which is roughly 4.85 ish W/kg. For 30 mins, more!! You know plenty of amateur riders who can do this? :cool:

Now let’s see if they can do that week 3 into a Grand Tour going uphill solo, lol! :p

thehog said:
Oude Geuze said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:

Lol!

At 80 kg a 400 watt 20 min power puts you in the 360-388 range for FTP which is roughly 4.85 ish W/kg. For 30 mins, more!! You know plenty of amateur riders who can do this? :cool:

Now let’s see if they can do that week 3 into a Grand Tour going uphill solo, lol! :p

So Froome weighs 60kg now?

thehog said:
Lol! Forever a Froome fan attempting to muddy the waters. My posts was an example of how ridiculous the original post was. Which I why I used the example with “range” and “roughly”.

Why can’t bots ever stick to reality? :cool:

So you manipulate figures to overplay a point and then accuse me of not sticking to reality for pointing it out....I see how it works now :confused:

That aside, I do agree that even 4.5w/kg for an amateur for 30 mins is pretty good...but back to the original point...for a WT rider, let alone the greatest GT rider for several generations :D 390w for about 10 minutes is hardly even trying. Week 3 of a GT or not.

brownbobby said:
thehog said:
Lol! Forever a Froome fan attempting to muddy the waters. My posts was an example of how ridiculous the original post was. Which I why I used the example with “range” and “roughly”.

So you manipulate figures to overplay a point and then accuse me of not sticking to reality for pointing it out....I see how it works now :confused:

That aside, I do agree that even 4.5w/kg for an amateur for 30 mins is pretty good...but back to the original point...for a WT rider, let alone the greatest GT rider for several generations :D 390w for about 10 minutes is hardly even trying. Week 3 of a GT or not.

No, I gave you an example to show how nutty the example was.

390w going up hill with 70km still to ride and staying away is absurd, yes. Sure, you can do 390w for 10 minutes at 10% but be caught on the next climb but not Super Dawg. He gains more time, lol! :cool:

The table of solo attacks showed that, he was able to out ride with no assistance known dopers.

thehog said:
brownbobby said:
thehog said:

390w going up hill with 70km still to ride and staying away is absurd, yes. Sure, you can do 390w for 10 minutes at 10% but be caught on the next climb but not Super Dawg. He gains more time, lol! :cool:

The table of solo attacks showed that, he was able to out ride with no assistance known dopers.

But TD averaged almost exactly the same over the same section....so by that logic would be just as tired and unable to make it back to Froome, especially after he gave him a free minute while he recovered on the descent. All this of course presuming TD and CF are in identical physical condition and of equal ability when it comes to 3 week GT’s. which they’re not.

And that table, without context, is about as relevant as my dining table to the doping debate

thehog said:
brownbobby said:
thehog said:

Says who? :confused:

rick james said:
thehog said:
brownbobby said:
thehog said:

Says who? :confused:
Anyone who understands that there’s only so many times you can ride at >6w/kg in a 3 week period.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Reality check, Dumoulin descends at the same speed and he's in pink after Stage 19 and wins the Giro. So yeah, in the truest sense possible, Dumoulin lost the Giro on the descent. Everything else is just cherry-picking time gaps.

brownbobby said:
Oude Geuze said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:

Agreed. That was my point, nothing extra terrestrial about those numbers..

Except for the fact he's 20kg lighter and into the third week of a grand tour, theoretically not doing well for whatever reason. And then suddenly is able to beat a peloton from 50km(?) out.

The numbers are EXTRA terrestrial.

So what do you consider his most ridiculous exploit so far?

His sudden emerge in the 2011 Vuelta
Making fun of his leader in the 2012 Tour
Annihilating everyone in the 2013 Tour
Winning back to back GT's in 2017
Pulling the most unbelievable 80km solo out if his hat to win the 2018 Giro.

rick james said:
thehog said:
rick james said:
Yikes....someone actually made a chart of long range attacks..it’s a crazy world we live in

Naturally no one here expects you to look into the actual detail. That you are incapable of. You fit into the hysterical Froome fan category. Keep up the superficial work, you’re doing a great job son :cool:
That chart is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen posted in a Cycling forum....so sad
It's the "posted in a Cycling forum" that makes it art. A revealing glimpse into the private sorrows of a connoisseur of message boards. And yet, the authority behind it makes it a triumph in the end, as one person only was able to brace the world of publicly available data and make this pronouncement. We are in your debt.

Re:

Breh said:

How about his power attack on the flat with Sagan? :cool:

I’d say his book is his most ridiculous exploit. But then again come the Tour, Dawg is sure to have new motorised tricks up his sleeve.

Re:

Breh said:

It's the 2011 Vuelta. I still can't understand what sort of next-level dope he got on when he emerged as a contender for the overall win and routinely dropped his captain without breaking a sweat. Him beating megadoper Cobo on Pena Cabarga was the biggest red flag I've ever seen in cycling, and that includes Wiggins following Schleck, Armstrong and Contador up most of Ventoux.

That Vuelta confirmed Froome as a superdoper for me in a pretty shocking way. Everything he's done since has been watched with the understanding and expectation that he's brought his doping up yet another level, and I'm just watching to see how blatant he has the balls to be.

Even now, seven years later I can't for the life of me understand what sort of black magic witchcraft Froome got his hands on in 2011 that enabled him to go from pack fodder to superhuman in the blink of an eye. Nothing about it makes any sense, and I really hope we get to hear the truthful story about it one day after Skyfall has finally happened.

Re:

Breh said:

It saddens me that Floyd's ride to immortality is overshadowed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuFf_bDMY4

Saint Unix said:
Breh said:

It's the 2011 Vuelta. I still can't understand what sort of next-level dope he got on when he emerged as a contender for the overall win and routinely dropped his captain without breaking a sweat. Him beating megadoper Cobo on Pena Cabarga was the biggest red flag I've ever seen in cycling, and that includes Wiggins following Schleck, Armstrong and Contador up most of Ventoux.

That Vuelta confirmed Froome as a superdoper for me in a pretty shocking way. Everything he's done since has been watched with the understanding and expectation that he's brought his doping up yet another level, and I'm just watching to see how blatant he has the balls to be.

Even now, seven years later I can't for the life of me understand what sort of black magic witchcraft Froome got his hands on in 2011 that enabled him to go from pack fodder to superhuman in the blink of an eye. Nothing about it makes any sense, and I really hope we get to hear the truthful story about it one day after Skyfall has finally happened.

So far, he's proving much more willing to flaunt that he's doping than most anyone else. I do hope eventually we'll at least get part of the story.

Re:

Breh said:

Without a doubt the 2011 Vuelta. The revisionists just say he needed to be found and learned how to train. But the turn around that summer from Pro Tour back of the pack fill, to world class climber and destroyer, was beyond unbelievable. It's not like he was wrecking people in flat races but was just too fat to climb well. He was not really anything special on the flats either, which makes me wonder what this "engine was there all along" crap is about. It really is like the revisionist script with Pharmstrong ... remember the "incredible efficiency" and "cancer weight loss" BS we were all fed?

The only other thing I find amazing are all the silly folks that still buy into it!

TRENDING THREADS