• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin vs Sky 2010

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who has a better 2010?

• Team Sky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Simple, the cancer classic was not an officially classified UCI race.

But we are not the UCI.. we are a two bit message board where most of the times the members cant agree what day of the week it is let alone a scoring system..

so 2-2 then if we are including races involving only one team :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Think it was more about getting the aussie the win in australia and keeping things even, the everyone gets their chance route..

Henderson was not good enough for the win. The aussie sutton on the australian sky team was better:D. Dim, did you get the interview on DB...?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
so 2-2 then if we are including races involving only one team :D

I think you should include those. Garmin aren't going to be at the Norwegian or Finnish nationals and might not be at the British ones either. It'll pay off in the long run to accept it's 2-2.

A

Anonymous

Mambo95 said:
I think you should include those. Garmin aren't going to be at the Norwegian or Finnish nationals and might not be at the British ones either. It'll pay off in the long run to accept it's 2-2.

You think sky may get more national champs than garmin.. :D

That could be a closer fight that race wins..

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
You think sky may get more national champs than garmin.. :D

That could be a closer fight that race wins..

I reckon so...just

If Sky don't win the Norwegian and British RRs then they need shooting. They should be favourites for the Time Trials too. Finland only has two proper pros.

For Garmin, Dave Z will win the US TT if Levi doesn't fancy it and Farrar will be a favourite for the RR. I suppose Kessiakoff, Maaskant and Martin have good chances. But so do Lofkvist and maybe Flecha.

There could be other head to heads: Barry v Hesjedal and Tuft in Canada, Hunter v Augstyn in South Africa (although I don't imagine any of these will ride - they didn't last year. I'd love to see those two countries jersies in the peleton though).

Also, there's no guarantee that Garmin will be at the Tour of Britain - I can see Sky winning every stage of that.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Sky are becoming a great criterium team, Dim. Shame they can't hack it when it gets to the open road.:D

How many did your bmc boys win.. its called effective targetting.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
How many did your bmc boys win.. its called effective targetting.. :D

Well when you go to the race with a young team in a race which doesn't really suit the teams type of riding its not easy and they did pretty well.

Stage placings
1x3rd
2x4th
1x7th

6th on gc

held sprinters and young riders jersey
animated the race and made the big attack or move of the race.

Not a bad performance to me... We ain't too 1 dimensional like sky with their criterium racing.:D;)

I know this has probably already been brought up but I ain't reading ten pages of crap. Isn't comparing Garmin to SKY abit like comparing apples to oranges? Both have completely different aims when in road races ie. SKY are gonna target stages wins and sprint finishes whereas Garmin are going more for GC and a stage win if they get the chance.

I think the score might be very lopsided toward SKY at the end of the season but does that mean SKY are a better team? Possibly, possibly not. Different priorities equal different goals.

But i guess this is all in the name of internet forum banter. So let the unequal comparing continue.........

El Imbatido said:
I know this has probably already been brought up but I ain't reading ten pages of crap. Isn't comparing Garmin to SKY abit like comparing apples to oranges? Both have completely different aims when in road races ie. SKY are gonna target stages wins and sprint finishes whereas Garmin are going more for GC and a stage win if they get the chance.

Wow. Someone actually gets it.

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure they do have such different agendas tbh. Sky may not target the GC in the Vuelta & Giro as much as Garmin but other than that I can't see them not competing.

How about this scoring system: 1 point for stage/race wins & 1 point for higher GC placing in UCI sanctioned trade team events only. Bonus points for monuments & GTs

This would make it SKY 2 GARMIN 0 (1pt for stage 6 win and 1pt for Henderson 3rd v Hunter 9th)

A

Anonymous

So is that 3-0 to sky now..

Cancer council classic
Tour Down Under Stage
Tour Of Qatar TTT

v

????

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

swift, sutton, henderson, vigano, downing, boassen hagen, Flecha

he said strong sprinter :p

---

I think sky will have a better season, EBH alone will rank in the results.
Not so sure they will be up there in the ardennes (i can't convince myself gerrans will ever win or podium there) tho.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Hard one

I think the strengths of the teams lie in different areas. I voted Garmin (I still want to call them chipotle) only because I think they have more all-around depth. Sky has better costumes (and the way Wiggo struts around, it is a costume) and I really hope they both add some fun into cyclint this year and do well. For Brad's sake, I do hope his legs can match his mouth - I have no ill-will towards him.

Biscuit said:
I'm not sure they do have such different agendas tbh. Sky may not target the GC in the Vuelta & Giro as much as Garmin but other than that I can't see them not competing.

How about this scoring system: 1 point for stage/race wins & 1 point for higher GC placing in UCI sanctioned trade team events only. Bonus points for monuments & GTs

This would make it SKY 2 GARMIN 0 (1pt for stage 6 win and 1pt for Henderson 3rd v Hunter 9th)

If a stage win is worth 1 point then bettering the other team in the GC should be worth more than 1 point.

A

Anonymous

Potomac said:
If a stage win is worth 1 point then bettering the other team in the GC should be worth more than 1 point.

No, because a team working hard for their sprinter to get stage wins, may have to forego gc position to do so. how many riders kick off the leadout train and then finish 2 minutes down on the rest of the field..

GC position should only really count in either grand tours, or proper stage races like paris nice, not two bit stages races like qatar or tdu.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
boasson hagen completely owned farrar today, whats up with farrar? he seems great when coming off a fast lead out (ie behind cav) but cant cut it when coming off a normal sprint lead out

i think farrar was bigged up too much last year by a few people, his results were decent but not great.

i can see him having a good classics though

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
boasson hagen completely owned farrar today, whats up with farrar? he seems great when coming off a fast lead out (ie behind cav) but cant cut it when coming off a normal sprint lead out

i think farrar was bigged up too much last year by a few people, his results were decent but not great.

i can see him having a good classics though

I'm not sure what happened to Farrar. He finished strong last year, and I had high hopes for him this year. Maybe he hasn't hit form yet.

El Imbatido said:

I think the score might be very lopsided toward SKY at the end of the season but does that mean SKY are a better team? Possibly, possibly not. Different priorities equal different goals.

But i guess this is all in the name of internet forum banter. So let the unequal comparing continue.........

I was thinking that a better or more intriguing question would be if SKY would be able to equal the success of Cervelo Test Team '09? Or even will they have a better 2010 than Cervelo?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I was thinking that a better or more intriguing question would be if SKY would be able to equal the success of Cervelo Test Team '09? Or even will they have a better 2010 than Cervelo?

That would be a decent comparison. However, Cervelo did have the fortune of Credit Agricole and Gerolsteiner collapsing which allowed them to pick up Hushovd, Haussler and Gerrans. And those three got the lion's share of their big results.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
well, that's the first weekend of meaningful races over and sky came out on top vs both cervelo and garmin. looks like brailsford is going to be able to transfer that winning by 100 cuts from the track to the road after all.

some strong performances by individuals on the other two teams though - farrar was impressive on saturday and hushovdt and lloyd worked well until it was clear that their efforts would be unrewarded today.

all set up nicely for the forthcoming Classics. where are QuickStep and OmegaPharma????