• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 541 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

circuito-informe-lombillo.png

We know that the ideologist of the candidature and sports councillor of Ponferrada for 8 years, Emilio Villanueva, proposed the Lombillo circuit to the UCI and they refused because it could result in "a lacklustre World Cup with less than 10 riders competing in the last lap" -> interview part 1 / part 2. That is, according to the UCI, World Championships where many riders arrive together at the final part are better than those where the race is broken from far away, like Duitama or Sallanches ... The other problem they alleged was the danger of the descent, but the truth is that it was already done in the Vuelta a España 2008 and there was no problem, and it was also resurfaced a few years ago.

But even accepting that it was "too hard" (something false, since due to its length there would only be 12 laps, accumulating the same gradient as Mendrisio 2009) or that the descent was dangerous, there was an intermediate option: 11 laps of the Montearenas circuit and 2 final laps of the Lombillo circuit, when the peloton was already more selected. However, the answer was again negative. The UCI's rejection of a more selective route was repeated again this year, when J.L. López Cerrón, president of the RFEC, and Javier Mínguez, national coach and technical advisor for the World Championships, proposed to climb Montereanas by a harder variant (the aforementioned 2010 time trial) or, failing that, to do the circuit the other way round.

circuito-informe-lombillo.png

We know that the ideologist of the candidature and sports councillor of Ponferrada for 8 years, Emilio Villanueva, proposed the Lombillo circuit to the UCI and they refused because it could result in "a lacklustre World Cup with less than 10 riders competing in the last lap" -> interview part 1 / part 2. That is, according to the UCI, World Championships where many riders arrive together at the final part are better than those where the race is broken from far away, like Duitama or Sallanches ... The other problem they alleged was the danger of the descent, but the truth is that it was already done in the Vuelta a España 2008 and there was no problem, and it was also resurfaced a few years ago.

But even accepting that it was "too hard" (something false, since due to its length there would only be 12 laps, accumulating the same gradient as Mendrisio 2009) or that the descent was dangerous, there was an intermediate option: 11 laps of the Montearenas circuit and 2 final laps of the Lombillo circuit, when the peloton was already more selected. However, the answer was again negative. The UCI's rejection of a more selective route was repeated again this year, when J.L. López Cerrón, president of the RFEC, and Javier Mínguez, national coach and technical advisor for the World Championships, proposed to climb Montereanas by a harder variant (the aforementioned 2010 time trial) or, failing that, to do the circuit the other way round.
Thanks, now I'm angry again

Bahamontes, 'the Eagle of Toledo', was the first Spanish TdF winner (1959), and the oldest surviving winner (I believe that title now passes to Jan Janssens). He won the polka dots jersey 6 times, tied with Van Impe for second behind Virenque, but when there was a vote for the best climber ever in the Tour as part of the 100th event (2013), Bahamontes came out top. Only he and Luis Herrera have won the climbers' jersey at all three GTs.

There is a statue in his honour in Toledo.
Estatua_del_ciclista_toledano_Federico_Mart%C3%ADn_Bahamontes%2C_esculpida_por_Javier_Molina_e_inaugurada_en_la_calle_Real_de_la_Arrabal_de_Toledo_el_6_de_mayo_de_2018.jpg

And was still looking pretty healthy at 90
15310826971522.jpg

Last edited:
Jan Janssen I think. He's 83, one year older than Lucien Aimar.
And three months older than Roger Pingeon. Those three have won the Tour in the wrong order.

Bahamontes is synonymous with "legendary climber". It's impossible to understand his true meaning because of the lack of good images from that era, but he's the kind of rider who speaks to the imagination and must have inspired many climbers in later decades.

The Avenir routes were announced today. The men's race has the godforsaken TTT (again), MTFs at Col de la Loze (again) and Col du Mont Cenis, a MTT to Les Karellis before the final stage takes on the southern side of Iséran (again) on the way to the easy MTF at Sainte Foy.
5-971x800.png

The inaugural women's race does actually have a regular ITT, in addition to mountain stages to Mégève and also to Sainte Foy (approaching from the other side, so no Iséran).
Tour%20de%20lAvenir%20Femmes%202023.jpg
Profiles and maps are out as well now. I see I got the final stage down spot on.

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.55.31-1200x660.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.55.54-1200x708.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.56.04-1200x476.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.56.19-1200x689.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.56.40-1200x720.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.56.58-1200x780.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.57.13-1200x760.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.57.25-1200x725.png

Capture-decran-2023-08-10-a-16.58.10-1200x678.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
I recently watched some older video of gran tours and major races and noticed that people bringing colored smoke canisters is not as new of an annoying phenomenon as I thought. I was bummed out at recent events, including world championship that " fans" bring smoke bombs and find amusement in making racers ride through it.. Don't know the solution..