• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How can you possibly make such an uninspiring route like Tour de Wallonie? I don't really have a problem with such a long ITT - its fine that stage races sometimes heavily favours time trialists, because why not? - but that the rest of the stages are this uninteresting is beyond me in that area.

In other news, also on race routes, I remember Castilla y León used to be quite a nice race. I already really like this small block of spanish races, but this race needs to be longer than 2 days and hopefully attract better teams in the future as well - hopefully something like Burgos. Then you have the Basque one day races, Burgos and Castilla y Leon. Hopefully they will also make a bit more attractive designs.

Do we even have profiles for that one yet? I need to see what they do with the Riemst stage before passing judgment.

So the profiles are out. Like I expected, it's bad, really really fcking bad. 3 sprint stages, the Geraardsbergen stage that really isn't hard enough at all (bunch sprint on the Vesten) and a short 13km TT. You'll get a really good TTer winning this with maybe some sprinters in the top 10.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I regret to report that the 2028 Worlds will be in Abu Dhabi.
Hey, since they first brought the Worlds to the Middle East in 2016, support for the sport is going from strength to strength in the UAE.

I've already had word that $1 billion will be spent on an artificial 400m climb to the top of a luxury hotel to host UCI dignitaries, like that ski slope building in Copenhagen, and even better news, both fans intend to attend.

I actually don't mind to see the 2028 World Championships in Abu Dhabi.

In the next 4 years, we likely won't have a course for sprinters, Haute Savoie 2027 could actually be one for the climbers, the others should be for classics riders or at best versatile sprinters, so riders like Pogacar, Van der Poel or Van Aert should still have several opportunities to get the rainbow jersey. The last time we had a pan flat course was Doha 2016 and the racing was actually interesting because of the wind.

In the next 4 years, we likely won't have a course for sprinters, Haute Savoie 2027 could actually be one for the climbers, the others should be for classics riders or at best versatile sprinters, so riders like Pogacar, Van der Poel or Van Aert should still have several opportunities to get the rainbow jersey. The last time we had a pan flat course was Doha 2016 and the racing was actually interesting because of the wind.

Do we even know for a fact it'll be flat? Unlike Qatar, Abu Dhabi does have some hills.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do we even know for a fact it'll be flat? Unlike Qatar, Abu Dhabi does have some hills.
The hills and mountains are pretty much all in the eastern part of the UAE, far away from Abu Dhabi. It will most certainly be flat

Edit: Jebel Hafeet is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi about 150km from the city itself so maybe we’ll have an unipuerto showdown for the world championships

Last edited:
The hills and mountains are pretty much all in the eastern part of the UAE, far away from Abu Dhabi. It will most certainly be flat

Edit: Jebel Hafeet is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi about 150km from the city itself so maybe we’ll have an unipuerto showdown for the world championships
Looking at Google Maps, that would be perfect. Men Elite 150km total, straight from Abu Dhabi down highway E30 and up Jebel Hafeet for the finish. Maybe just make the other categories ride up 500m of the climb or so.

Yea, but you could have a sprinters' worlds like Geelong, Madrid or Lisbon, rather than a sprinters' worlds like Zolder or Copenhagen.