• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are actually three ways from Nicolosi to Sapienza.

24e956r.jpg

The one on the left is the 2011 climb.

I think the one Eshnar linked would start from Pedara and then join the grey way on the right. I don't think they will use that road, because it would be much longer than 17,5 km from Nicolosi and there would be some flat all the way to Pedara (which does not appear on the profile). Note that the road from Pedara is in bad conditions (I was there a month ago) hence it would need to be resurfaced up to the point where it joins the blue way.

The blue way in the middle looks to be the one they'll use. It sort of matches the profile in length and percentage.

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Eshnar said:
http://www.cicloweb.it/2016/10/24/in-anteprima-le-altimetrie-di-tutte-le-tappe-del-giro-ditalia-2017/

As expected - no surprises
stage 11 is classy!
a bit meh with stages 12-14

And with both Etna & Lanciano - two HC is its one right, early on - week 3 is well balanced in hardness.

A solid 8/10!

Re: Re:

TromleTromle said:
actually plenty of surprises.
Peschici has no sterrato
Blockhaus only up to Majelletta
Oropa...
Bergamo...
Easy Mortirolo and Stelvio before Umbrail
Ortisei weird af
Grappa from Caupo. The worst possible side.

Nope. I don't think it's a terrible route, but Gigs's meh nails it.

The first half looks good. The second half is a bit more disappointing. The Bormio stage looks good. I miss a long medium mountain stage somewhere between on stage 12-15 and a real monster stage as one of the last three mountain stages. A 7/10 from me.

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Eshnar said:
TromleTromle said:
actually plenty of surprises.
Peschici has no sterrato
Blockhaus only up to Majelletta
Oropa...
Bergamo...
Easy Mortirolo and Stelvio before Umbrail
Ortisei weird af
Grappa from Caupo. The worst possible side.

Nope. I don't think it's a terrible route, but Gigs's meh nails it.

Well - I kept expectations low :lol:
I would have been surprised if 80% of you mentioned were in :cool:

But overall impression is good, very varied and MUCH more balanced than le Tour.

Place the money on Kruiswijk for this one!

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Meh

Edit:
And WTF is this? Be ashamed whoever is responsible for this:
17giro16-990x704.jpg
I really hope this is not true, if we dont get a Stelvio from prato for the 100th edition of the Giro im literally going to give up with this route.

First of all, well done RCS :) messing up your own presentation.

Secondly, **** you RCS. This is a really bad parcours for the 100th Giro.
Positives:
+No backloading, thanks to stage 4, which is probably one of the better stages.
+Interesting stage 11. Some nice climbs. Could've been longer, though.
+Final stage, they'll lap Monza :D :D . And, cycling-wise, it's an ITT, that keeps the competition open.
Negatives:
-Bad stages in Sardinia (but we knew that already)
-No sterrato to Peschici. Nothing will happen given Blockhaus and the distance from the two climbs to the finish.
-Stage to Blockhaus. They're proved how you can mess up a good climb. Short stages are bad, unipuertos are bad. Combining them is even worse.
-39km ITT is a joke.
-Oropa... well, I'm lost for words.
-Bergamo... even worse...
-Bormio stage... they'll descend the hard side. Why even bother?
-Dolomite stage... kill me now, please. 137km? I was expecting a much better stage.
-Piancavallo stage... shocking.
-Asiago stage... WTF did they do to Grappa?

2/10

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I might actually prefer Stelvio from Bormio then Umbrailpass from Val Müstair, simply as I can't see anything but Stelvio being the Cima Coppi, so having the Cima Coppi NOT be the final climb of the day but in fact 80km out but with the scary Swiss side of Umbrailpass to come it could make for a hell of a stage. I think if they do do the stage as shown, they might do the little ramp around the town loop that they did in 2004 after Gavia but before the Bormio 2000 climb as well, just to have a final chance for a small group to duke it out if they come together on the descent again (it's between around km 100 and 110 on this profile - either direction).

Eshnar said:
Libertine Seguros said:
I might actually prefer Stelvio from Bormio then Umbrailpass from Val Müstair, simply as I can't see anything but Stelvio being the Cima Coppi, so having the Cima Coppi NOT be the final climb of the day but in fact 80km out but with the scary Swiss side of Umbrailpass to come it could make for a hell of a stage. I think if they do do the stage as shown, they might do the little ramp around the town loop that they did in 2004 after Gavia but before the Bormio 2000 climb as well, just to have a final chance for a small group to duke it out if they come together on the descent again (it's between around km 100 and 110 on this profile - either direction).
What Libertine wrote indeed makes sense, but c'mon I want to see the god damn northern side of the Stelvio. What was the last time they climbed that side? 2005? I was seven years old back then :(

Gigs_98 said:
Eshnar said:
Libertine Seguros said:
What Libertine wrote indeed makes sense, but c'mon I want to see the god damn northern side of the Stelvio. What was the last time they climbed that side? 2005? I was seven years old back then :(
If it helps you, I was 5 :eek:

TRENDING THREADS