• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 15: Seregno - Bergamo 195 km

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, Bonifazio is good, with aesthetic neck, and breast/collarbone party… He, however, lacks these Welsford-like fleshy, round, cannonball-like shoulders… But I see he is improving, and is about to develop a bodybuilder type body. I think this could enable him one day to win Green in Paris… :) ;-)

Nice win by McNulty. Shame about no GC action. They're waiting for the stage 20 ITT, there will be nothing before that.

FwqZ3LbXsAEp_RB

McNulty played that about as well as he could. Healy paid for that pointless attack 70 km out. He should have been able to drop McNulty on that final climb but he didn't have enough energy, thus it was literally a crapshoot on a downhill sprint...

Those complaining about no GC action today...we have 3 very similar riders, with no team that atm is strong enough to control the action. Where would, say, an attack by Roglic have succeeded?

I think the Giro also has had some bad luck. The point of early TTs is to get some separation in the GC contenders, but having them be separated by so little entering the second set of mountain stages meant more caution. That, and it's Ineos and Jumbo, both teams which very much play by the book in terms of defensive GC riding.

Post COVID the face of cycling has changed with super-aggressive racing in all types of racing including Grand Tours - The question to be asked is. Why have the last two editions of the Giro gone against the pattern.
Italian police?

Honestly, worst first 2 weeks of the Giro in a long time, even 2012 was better than this. Rocca di Cambio had more gaps than Campo Imperatore and Lago Laceno was better than what we got this year. Assisi was an uphill sprint, but between that, Cervinia (Hesjedal attacked) and Piani dei Resinelli (the Purito show) we had more action than this year, only the Capuccini stage delivered. Most boring main gc contenders I can remember and the worst first 2 weeks of the Giro since 2004 with it's horrible route.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Italian police?

Honestly, worst first 2 weeks of the Giro in a long time, even 2012 was better than this. Rocca di Cambio had more gaps than Campo Imperatore and Lago Laceno was better than what we got this year. Assisi was an uphill sprint, but between that, Cervinia (Hesjedal attacked) and Piani dei Resinelli (the Purito show) we had more action than this year, only the Capuccini stage delivered. Most boring main gc contenders I can remember and the worst first 2 weeks of the Giro since 2004 with it's horrible route.
2004 had a tricky prologue and a little mtf as an appetizer for what seemed to come later tough.

Of course didn't materialize at all later on.

I think the Giro also has had some bad luck. The point of early TTs is to get some separation in the GC contenders, but having them be separated by so little entering the second set of mountain stages meant more caution. That, and it's Ineos and Jumbo, both teams which very much play by the book in terms of defensive GC riding.
Having both Remco and Tao -- as well as Ganna -- out, I think has changed the complexion of the race this week. But the biggest factor by far was the weather.

Italian police?

Did you not watch 2020? I agree this hasn’t been great, but the Covid and crash impact had been significant. Remco took a fall in Vuelta and this Giro and everyone talked a lot about the impact, but Roglic fell a few times, the last time requiring stitches, and it doesn’t seem most think that should impact his riding. Let’s see how it goes in the high mountains.

TRENDING THREADS