• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
bobbins said:
That's true, if it weren't for the fact that there are riders in the team that will win bike races, the team wouldn't win any bike races.

Doh.

I think the point Ryo is trying to make is that most of the big points-paying races GreenEdge are likely to make a major impact at are dreary affairs that offer far more points than their prestige would suggest because their level has been artificially raised by the UCI. Races like Beijing, the TDU, Vattenfall, Eneco and so on.

I think they'll do well at some worthless races that aren't World Tour too, like Scheldeprijs.

boomcie said:
Just a reminder to everyone:

This team sucks.

I'm sorry.
A little bit harsh, but not much :D

The only thing that I find interesting about this team is that when O'Grady, McEwen, Cooke etc have retired (probably by 2013) there will be a team with a very young, very strong engine room after a decent team leader or two.

If GreenEdge do well in their first year, I wouldn't be too surprised if they pick up a few really good riders come transfer time because they won't have to share the glory like they would at most other WT teams.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
I mentioned a lot earlier in this thread that I think they will use Simon Clarke in the Ardennes type role....not sure if he would be an out and out climber but going to watch what they do with him with interest. Anyone who knows Clarke got a good insight into how they think he will develop?

i was riding with him on saturday and his schedule is catalunya and pays basque then the ardennes. seems like the hope is for him to become something of a puncheur.

in regards to some of the other questions he was in astana kit but on a greenedge labelled foil with scott shoes.

clipperton said:
i was riding with him on saturday and his schedule is catalunya and pays basque then the ardennes. seems like the hope is for him to become something of a puncheur.

in regards to some of the other questions he was in astana kit but on a greenedge labelled foil with scott shoes.

No T-A? :( He was great there this year.

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
A little bit harsh, but not much :D

The only thing that I find interesting about this team is that when O'Grady, McEwen, Cooke etc have retired (probably by 2013) there will be a team with a very young, very strong engine room after a decent team leader or two.

If GreenEdge do well in their first year, I wouldn't be too surprised if they pick up a few really good riders come transfer time because they won't have to share the glory like they would at most other WT teams.

everything is dependent on securing a sponsor. Chicken and the egg thing .. Cant afford top riders until they get a name sponsor, cant get a big sponsor until they get top GC riders. Fundamentally, the challenge will be to align a sponsor, who wants Euro exposure, with the nationalistic approach of GE, which really limits them to Aussie brands. Also, as they are going down the nationalistic path, the top GC rider will probably have to be an Aussie.

Reghere said:
everything is dependent on securing a sponsor. Chicken and the egg thing .. Cant afford top riders until they get a name sponsor, cant get a big sponsor until they get top GC riders. Fundamentally, the challenge will be to align a sponsor, who wants Euro exposure, with the nationalistic approach of GE, which really limits them to Aussie brands. Also, as they are going down the nationalistic path, the top GC rider will probably have to be an Aussie.
Valid points, but if Goss, Langeveld and Davis get some results in the early classics and/or Gerrans, Clarke and Weening ride well in the Ardennes then it is possible that a strong Australian sponsor could get behind them in time for max exposure at the Tour.

IMO Greenedge's fate depends very strongly on how well they start the season. If they don't have a main sponsor or a decent amount of WT points by the end of the Giro then it may be a very short lived team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Surprised to see Gerrans racing so early considering he will be looking to peak in the Ardennes.

A little disappointed that none of the international riders will be given a chance. I'd have liked to see Teklehaminot get a chance to show what he can do in front of the Australian fans.

It isn't surprising. You really think that the 1st race for the 1st ever year of the 1st Australian team wouldn't put an entire Australian team into the only WT Australian race?

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Valid points, but if Goss, Langeveld and Davis get some results in the early classics and/or Gerrans, Clarke and Weening ride well in the Ardennes then it is possible that a strong Australian sponsor could get behind them in time for max exposure at the Tour.

IMO Greenedge's fate depends very strongly on how well they start the season. If they don't have a main sponsor or a decent amount of WT points by the end of the Giro then it may be a very short lived team.

apparently the main sponsor is already sorted but won't be announced until the run up to le tour. it's apparently an asian company. my money is on some permutation of the letters s,c,b & h.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
clipperton said:
apparently the main sponsor is already sorted but won't be announced until the run up to le tour. it's apparently an asian company. my money is on some permutation of the letters s,c,b & h.

Ahhh, another bank sponsor. Where did that rumour come from?

I am sure the other 10 Australians at GE will be pretty disappointed to be missing out on the "home" race. Wonder how the lead in to the sprint finishes will look? Bobridge, O'Grady and Howard leading out Goss with Meyer and Gerrans keeping safe for GC and McEwan lurking in the pack ready to pounce. I know GE is brand new and we don't know how they will race yet but how do our experts see the team orders for the team, especially in the sprint finishes?
Maybe we will see some hints in the Bay series.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Tragic said:
Does anybody know if there will be a UNISA/AIS team?

Yep there will be. Will be made up of some locals, Aussies on ProConti teams and the best placed finisher at nationals who isn't already riding TDU.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Ahhh, another bank sponsor. Where did that rumour come from?

me, though it's fair to say that i'm drawing some pretty long bows. from varying sources i've heard that it's an asian comapny and also to expect the team to be wearing red. hardly narrows it down too much i know but for an asian company with a global presence they fit.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
I am sure the other 10 Australians at GE will be pretty disappointed to be missing out on the "home" race. Wonder how the lead in to the sprint finishes will look? Bobridge, O'Grady and Howard leading out Goss with Meyer and Gerrans keeping safe for GC and McEwan lurking in the pack ready to pounce. I know GE is brand new and we don't know how they will race yet but how do our experts see the team orders for the team, especially in the sprint finishes?
Maybe we will see some hints in the Bay series.
O'Grady -> McEwen -> Howard -> Goss I would think. Gerrans/Meyer/Bobridge to do as little work as possible until Wilunga