• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Incredible result today, again. Let‘s wait for his overall ranking on Saturday evening.

Should he finish this Vuelta GC on the podium (3rd rank), then he achieved this aged 19. Pogacar achieved the same aged 20 (2019).

So should Ayuso become 3rd in Vuelta GC on Sunday, then I really believe they let him ride the TdF in 2023.
Hmm, I think UAEs Tour will be all in for a Pogacar win, and not sure how Ayuso would be needed if he already has enough climbing doms?

Reactions: yaco and pastronef
Incredible result today, again. Let‘s wait for his overall ranking on Saturday evening.

Should he finish this Vuelta GC on the podium (3rd rank), then he achieved this aged 19. Pogacar achieved the same aged 20 (2019).

So should Ayuso become 3rd in Vuelta GC on Sunday, then I really believe they let him ride the TdF in 2023.
Simply nonsense and I will tell you why. Next year Ayuso has to ride in La Vuelta and there’s no way that UAE will put Ayuso doing 2 GT in one season.
Next TDF will be around Pogacar, who still is the strongest of the UAE riders and the most secure bet for a win.
His race calendar will be having some shots at some 1 week races and then to focus for being at his peak form for La Vuelta, probably already as a leader of UAE.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Even the Giro d'Italia would be too risky. Because it's more intense and hectic in the beginning, until the big mountains arrive in the last 8 days. Who knows how he even arrives in the Alps then, after being stressed out 2 weeks beforehand.

This year's Vuelta a Espana has been pretty sorted in the first week.

2023 Vuelta a Espana it is. He can ride a full program of one week races beforehand. Catalunya, Basque Country. Maybe even Tour of Switzerland. Then rest and build towards Spain.

That should be a fine enough racing schedule for a 20 year old kid.

At the age of 19, Juan Ayuso became the second youngest cyclist in history to achieve a Grand Tour podium.

Henry Cornet, in 1904, did it being only four days younger in the Tour de France

I wasn't completely sold on him till this Vuelta even though he already had some results which are just absurd for his age. But this Vuelta was something else. Recovery is there, and even when he didn't felt good still didn't lose huge amount of time to others. He is not afraid to attack when he has the legs. Maybe he was even to eager to attack couple of times, but you can't hold that against him with being only 19y. And by my observation he has that winners mentality. Either you have it or not. You can't learn that.

Without any big injures or other misfortune we are seeing future multiple GT winner.

Ayuso: Look at me, I'm the Almedia now
Almeida: Pls

FcUD6S-WQAIt5ss

Perhaps he wanted some tips of pairing steaks with the best Rioja wine
Remirez de Ganuza. The Eddy Merckx of Rioja.

Cvne is Hinault, with Vivanco/Carlos Serres you get everything, Nibali, Valverde, or MAL, like La Maldita, the purest form of Garnacha that mankind can produce...raspberry juice with benefits. Rafa will know it's me.

Never under-estimate Marcos Eguren and La Nieta: Berzin then, Remco now...Senorio de Villarrica, forget the steak and bring the best chorizo: Carapaz...

I can go on and on...great places, great friends, great wines, what life is supposed to be.

Reactions: Sandisfan