• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Sandisfan
Matxin said today that he has started training again after recovering from tendinitis but still lightly....In the next week he will start training hard. Wouldn't commit to where he starts his season., It looked at least 2-3 weeks away by what he was saying. Maybe he can ride Tirreno? Or directly to Catalunya.

• Sad
Well that sucks. Says it's tendinitis of the Achilles's tendon that keeps persisting?

Vingegaard had same injury two or three years ago (Achilles tendon tendinitis), but recovered very well… Hope Ayuso recovers well, too…

Probably just bad luck… I once had the same at the front side of the ankle, trained too much too early after a break… You learn from it…

To get to know limits, you have to get close to these limits. And it can happen you exceed the limits sometimes. You only know afterwards, sadly…

Get well soon, Ayuso… Take your time.

EDIT: Now, Ayuso has the situation Jan Ullrich had most springs: delayed and delayed his season start (in Jan‘s case, normally until Sarthe in April). In Jan‘s case, probably due to a lack of professionalism - in Ayuso‘s case, it might just be exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
Is there any recent news about that apart from the report that was released in the middle of the week where they confirmed he won't be in Catalunya and left a question mark about Itzulia?

I saw that he was removed yesterday from PCS startlists for Itzulia and the Ardennes, but couldn't find any news that confirmed Itzulia's absence in 100%.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Vingegaard had same injury two or three years ago (Achilles tendon tendinitis), but recovered very well… Hope Ayuso recovers well, too…

Probably just bad luck… I once had the same at the front side of the ankle, trained too much too early after a break… You learn from it…

To get to know limits, you have to get close to these limits. And it can happen you exceed the limits sometimes. You only know afterwards, sadly…

Get well soon, Ayuso… Take your time.

EDIT: Now, Ayuso has the situation Jan Ullrich had most springs: delayed and delayed his season start (in Jan‘s case, normally until Sarthe in April). In Jan‘s case, probably due to a lack of professionalism - in Ayuso‘s case, it might just be exactly the opposite.
It might not just be a matter of bad luck or poor training—I believe they’ve now identified a gene sequence that shows genetic vulnerability in some individuals for achilles weakness/injury. I guess that would be a different sort of bad luck.

It might not just be a matter of bad luck or poor training—I believe they’ve now identified a gene sequence that shows genetic vulnerability in some individuals for achilles weakness/injury. I guess that would be a different sort of bad luck.

Ah, that‘s interesting - thank you :)

Now, serious part:

In some future, if a team knew about gene sequences of potential riders, this could decide if you offer the rider a one- or a seven-year contract, and if he‘ll earn 1 or 8 millions a year. Might become a central issue in every part of our lives, even.

Fun part:

So Ayuso and Pogacar negotiate contracts.

Gianetti to Ayuso: „Sadly, your achilles are prone to injury…“

Gianetti to Pogacar: „Sadly, your hair growth cannot be covered by any bicycle helmet in the world…“

;-)

More like 380-385W. I would not believe all he says.
I can believe 414 easily when really fresh in a lab setting.

In one interview Dr Inigo Milan said that during PDBF TT Pog did what he's capable of i.e. average of 6.3 w/kg for an hour, which is consistent with this number (414). Keep in mind that lab tests are close to a sea level.

Reactions: Red Rick
In one interview Dr Inigo Milan said that during PDBF TT Pog did what he's capable of i.e. average of 6.3 w/kg for an hour, which is consistent with this number (414). Keep in mind that lab tests are close to a sea level.
Yeah I think we're very prone to ignore altitude too much unless it's very high altitude climbs. Also with these fresh lab tests from riders you always get insane numbers being thrown around.

Doesn't the TT position mean the top riders are losing a significant amount of watt on the TT bike? So the numbers from PDBF TT should be a bit lower than what he could do on a road bike?

Doesn't the TT position mean the top riders are losing a significant amount of watt on the TT bike? So the numbers from PDBF TT should be a bit lower than what he could do on a road bike?
I think it depends on how aero the position is, but I've seen conflicting numbers about this.

If I remember correctly Roglic' ITT at the 2019 Vuelta was said to be 5.4 W/kg or something and it was said that his PdbF ITT was similar watts?

It could be taht the transition from ITT bike to road bike makes it even more complicated, with maybe certain muscle groups being a bit more fatigued and the road bike enabling you to use a fresher position. Pogs PdbF time was huge and it was around 30% of the ITT in terms of duration.

You can not push your full power in a TT position. That's why it's a constant trade-off between aero and power. Riders who are more nimble, more flexible, will suffer less to a degree.

TRENDING THREADS