• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Junior racing - The stars of the future

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Welcome Mr. Uijtdebroeks to the "Pronunciation thread".

Strange to see 5 Belgians in the top 10 in a mountain race. That is rare...
Doing this as your first race of the year seems positive....
It seems Belgium started to invest into mountain guys as there's a bunch of young ones right now in the pro peloton that most likely will stick to being next Teuns/Benoot/Wellens. I guess Uijtdebroeks will soon have a "... is the next Evenepoel" thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Cian Uijtdebroeks (18) got sick of 2 second places (one being a team time trial) so he won the Reither Kogel Trophy, a 6k mountain TT, ahead of 23 year old Markus Wildauer.
Today, Serge Pauwels, currently working for Belgian Cycling and managing the young talents, said that Cian has the same weight as Pauwels had when he (Pauwels) was in top form and he already pushes the same watts as Pauwels did in top form when he was a pro.

Video of Wildauer's effort.

View: https://www.facebook.com/reitherkogeltrophy/posts/114826577521299

Last edited:
Then I guess Uytdebroeks - didn't it used to be spelled differently? - is the new Brenner.
No need to make a Matteo Jorgenson style thread-title, though.
It's spelled with Uij... i don't know why it's spelled differently in my previous message. I'm trying to remember if i copy/pasted part of the text with all the names, or if i misspelled it myself, because i know it isn't spelled with a "y".

Anyway, he's no Brenner (and Brenner is no Evenepoel). Uijtdebroeks wins with a lot more dominance than Brenner ever has, but is missing (like Evenepoel) some weapons that Brenner does have. Brenner is a much better "finisher", he can win sprints of small groups, and has more punch than the two Belgians.

• Wow
It's spelled with Uij... i don't know why it's spelled differently in my previous message. I'm trying to remember if i copy/pasted part of the text with all the names, or if i misspelled it myself, because i know it isn't spelled with a "y".

Anyway, he's no Brenner (and Brenner is no Evenepoel). Uijtdebroeks wins with a lot more dominance than Brenner ever has, but is missing (like Evenepoel) some weapons that Brenner does have. Brenner is a much better "finisher", he can win sprints of small groups, and has more punch than the two Belgians.

how do you compare him to Ayuso?

how do you compare him to Ayuso?
The problem is that Ayuso has very little references racing outside of Spain, against other juniors/espoirs. But, by the looks of things, as a potential future GC rider, it would seem Uijtdebroeks is "top shelf" like Evenepoel and Ayuso before. Which one is better, who knows, but both of them seem to be "stellar" so far.

To become a better bikehandler he decided together with his team to ride some cyclo cross races this winter. So he is very likely not the next Remco.

Looks like I've found someone who is literally a "star of the future":

Note the date? Apparently he won this race tomorrow!
So, not only do I have to deal with riders being cloned, now I also have to deal with time-travelling riders!

Perhaps whoever put it in the database is the actual time traveller and not the rider himself?
Anyway it (now) says that it's the 9th-10th of July, so there might be a stage tomorrow.

• Wow
Looks like I've found someone who is literally a "star of the future":

Note the date? Apparently he won this race tomorrow!
So, not only do I have to deal with riders being cloned, now I also have to deal with time-travelling riders!

Answer in this Twitter-thread:
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/19U23/status/1413560335227838464

I can assure you that trying to keep the junior calendar and rider database up to scratch is both a Sisiphysian and Herculian venture.

Last edited:
Exciting GC battle in Ain Bugey Vairomey Tour. Cian Uijtdebroeks and Lenny Martinez finished together in stage 2 and 3 with both taking 1 stage win. Uijtdebroeks had the leader's jersey with 1 second advance after those stages, but Martinez took 2 boniseconds on stage 4 and will wear the leader's jersey going into tomorrow's final stage. Final stage got some 4-6km 6% climbs and finishes on a 9km 4,5% climb.

TRENDING THREADS