• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 302 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Back to Garmin.
The Stapleton-Catlin-Lance-Garmin link is just baffling.

By Daniel Benson Team Columbia and Garmin Chipotle have confirmed they will be using leading...

By Daniel Benson

Team Columbia and Garmin Chipotle have confirmed they will be using leading anti-doping scientist Don Catlin and the Anti-Doping Sciences Institute (ADSI) for their internal testing programmes for next year.

Columbia Team Manager Bob Stapleton said to Cyclingnews that he initially approached Catlin and the anti-doping institute before working with Agency for Cycling Ethics (ACE). However once ACE went out of business working with Catlin became an easy choice.

Would love to here Vaughters talk his way out of this one.:rolleyes:

Digger said:
Catlin who was involved in the cover up of positives at a winter Olympics for fear of the damage it would do the sport.....

Yes, but as so many are perfectly willing to forget, his job was never to open sanctions. That's just not how the system works.

Catlin notified the IOC who did not open any sanctions. The WADA standard permits this so, Salt Lake City's Olympics XC skiing (I think) was cleans.

It was Catlin who told the story much later. He's also the guy who has at various times created other doping controversy for the USOC/IOC including the 'wide berth' story.

The guy is not a great choice if you want to run a team of athletes that never test positive. If he worked to the 'Digger standard' he would have lost his career appointments a long, long time ago and been blacklisted at the USOC/IOC too.

Look at it another way. JV and Co. could have used Max Testa and actually run a formal doping program with Max guaranteed to be silent. I'm definitely not saying JV and Co are running a program. Just that there are MD's around who have shown complete silence to letting doping programs flourish.

If there's ever 'a real doping problem' at Slipstream he can wave Catlin's credentials around to quiet the rumbling. This is why JV is so brilliant.

Wayback Machine

A ridiculous article in light of everything that is known today.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2005/vaughters_1999

So I called Johan (Bruyneel) and asked him if there was anything I should be worried about. He assured me and said, 'we're not going to be doing any of that (doping)'. Basically, he said there was none of that (in the team). There would be nothing to worry about."

May as well strip the whole artifice of sport.

DirtyWorks said:

So I called Johan (Bruyneel) and asked him if there was anything I should be worried about. He assured me and said, 'we're not going to be doing any of that (doping)'. Basically, he said there was none of that (in the team). There would be nothing to worry about."

You know with all the focus I have given the last line of that piece, I had forgotten about that quote above...amazing.

DirtyWorks said:

That article is hilarious!

"It's bizarre to me that what was supposedly an experiment for research has become this story," he said of L'Equipe's headline-grabbing story this week that urine samples from the 1999 Tour de France have shown evidence of EPO use, and the only rider claimed to be the donor of those samples is seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong.

"He's not going to get suspended, they're not going to take his Tour wins away, or they're not going to test the A samples. It's just weird."

But there is the identity of the riders whose urine samples are also said to show EPO. "I'm not worried," he said, "I was never urine-tested in that Tour," he said. But Vaughters said that if the newspaper can claim they have the information to identify Armstrong, then what of other riders? "It's not really fair," he said, "and it seems like there's a bit of malice" in the selective reporting. "These other guys are getting off scot-free."

"But it's pretty significant. It makes the race look bad, makes the sport look bad. It does put a cloud over cycling

But this year was probably the cleanest Tour since the early '90s. It (doping) has decreased enormously since the '95-'96 period." Now, Vaughters estimated about "80-85 percent" of the field is clean.

August 2005, Fubccvvk me.

DirtyWorks said:
This is just one way he's brilliant. The words come out of his mouth and people seem to agree. The UCI needs more JV's and fewer Tinkov's.

I love the irony from the 2005 statements compared to 2012 reasoned decision with JVs Garmin riders!

Err... they did take his Tour wins away and your guys got off scot-free! ;)

"He's not going to get suspended, they're not going to take his Tour wins away...

"It's not really fair," he said, "and it seems like there's a bit of malice" in the selective reporting. "These other guys are getting off scot-free."

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
He's clever and probably the cleverest of the bunch.
Charisma? Check.
Good with words? Check.

But brilliant? where? when?
let's not overreact.
In the land of the blind...

Agree with Dirtyworks though that UCI would be in a much better position with more JV-like types around.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

wasn't the '05 Tour the same one where he had made the oft repeated comment to Andreu (or vice versa) about USPS getting their blood bags on the first rest day after having been nowhere to be seen on the Col du Schludt (?) the previous day? Very odd to have a guy making that crack giving the linked interview.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
wasn't the '05 Tour the same one where he had made the oft repeated comment to Andreu (or vice versa) about USPS getting their blood bags on the first rest day after having been nowhere to be seen on the Col du Schludt (?) the previous day? Very odd to have a guy making that crack giving the linked interview.

Not odd with JV. He has an MBA and in business double speak is all part of the game. JV knows full well he is playing a game, of finance and business.

His latest BS that no one in his team will test positive in a thousand years!

This from a proven liar and doper!

Take JV with a pinch of salt. He is selling clean cycling because that is the business he is in.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Not odd with JV. He has an MBA and in business double speak is all part of the game. JV knows full well he is playing a game, of finance and business.

His latest BS that no one in his team will test positive in a thousand years!

This from a proven liar and doper!

Take JV with a pinch of salt. He is selling clean cycling because that is the business he is in.

Seems like he just says what he thinks the "audience" wants to hear, while keeping his own opinions close to his vest.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Seems like he just says what he thinks the "audience" wants to hear, while keeping his own opinions close to his vest.

Yes. He gave an interview to Kimmage, when Kimmage worked for the Sunday Times and he refused to talk about his own doping. JV tries very hard to portray things in a light that is not real, "cool kids dont dope", "speeds are down", "machine calibration error" etc

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The linked interview actually has him talking about machine calibration issues. lol
It must be a standard defense/issue to raise whether or not it has any merit.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
The linked interview actually has him talking about machine calibration issues. lol
It must be a standard defense/issue to raise whether or not it has any merit.

Funny that in 2005 he was blaming machine calibration issues for the 99 tdf and in all the years since no one calibrated the blood machines!!! Laughable, the sport and its participants really treats fans as idiots.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yes. He gave an interview to Kimmage, when Kimmage worked for the Sunday Times and he refused to talk about his own doping.
While I don't disagree that JV is "selling" a product (his product), I don't think the above statement is entirely fair.

In that interview, he left it up to anyone with half a brain to read between the lines that his record performance up Ventoux was the result of doping. He didn't say it explicitly, but he sure as hell laid out the premise.

But I think we're in agreement overall.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
And while I'm at it...

BroDeal's title for this thread could not have been more fitting, because JV does, often, "sort of" talk...about stuff.

BroDeal

It's time to return!

sniper said:
He's clever and probably the cleverest of the bunch.
Charisma? Check.
Good with words? Check.

But brilliant? where? when?
let's not overreact.
In the land of the blind...

Agree with Dirtyworks though that UCI would be in a much better position with more JV-like types around.

Ok, maybe brilliant isn't the best word.

If I had JV-like nonsense spewing skills I can't calculate the time I could save in meetings about 'the cloud' or whatever tech fad c-level folks are being sold in any given year.

Better still, I'd make a killing selling c-level folks their latest IT fad and leave the admins with the problems of supporting another completely over promised solution.

I guess that makes me a JV hater!!! :eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
And while I'm at it...

BroDeal's title for this thread could not have been more fitting, because JV does, often, "sort of" talk...about stuff.

BroDeal

It's time to return!

BroDeal is on twitter, but yeah him and MrsMurphy would be welcome back in my books

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Tell me that JV, Eskino story is not true? Surely he didn't say it with a straight face? :confused:
yep hog, unique physiology, eskimo, inuit innit?

not even 25% or 12.5% or 50%. Genetically engineered to store fat, 20% inuit. Garmin, code for genetic engineering

It's awesome.
"When Tom eats carbohydrate, his body wants to just use it up as fuel, then shut down, and store all the fat ingested as body mass. I suppose this is to protect against arctic winds"

You see this and gaimon's tweet about some being better than others and it's a joke. A complete farce.

TRENDING THREADS