• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

More riders complain about wattages set at tempo (by Sky)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: More riders complain about wattages set at tempo (by Sky

MartinGT said:
thehog said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Vincenzo Nibali: "My watts are higher than ever. We start the climbs so fast and then, they accelerate." (via @Gazzetta_it ) #LV2017

Riders starting to get p!$$ed that they're (Sky) getting too greedy and want it all?

And probably getting really pissed off when it's riders like Moscan who are setting the absurdly high tempos.

MartinGT said:
thehog said:

Vincenzo Nibali: "My watts are higher than ever. We start the climbs so fast and then, they accelerate." (via @Gazzetta_it ) #LV2017

Riders starting to get p!$$ed that they're (Sky) getting too greedy and want it all?
they might hammer it at the start of the climbs but froome is at the back, if riders are stupid enough to go early then that's their fault

May 26, 2010
Visit site

rick james said:
MartinGT said:
thehog said:

they might hammer it at the start of the climbs but froome is at the back, if riders are stupid enough to go early then that's their fault

Dissing Nibali and your racing WT experience is what exactly?

thehog said:

Can't make that sh!t up.
The troubling aspect of Sky is that "everyone" in that team shows up for Froome at ridiculous sharp shape and power- all setting up 400 +watts average tempo going uphill and then Froomie ramps it up spinning 6.5W per Kilo to smash them up, when everyone have tired by just "following" Tempo.....

When Folks here say Froome is fading- I believe is the other riders & teams playing catch up!!

rick james said:
MartinGT said:
thehog said:

Who has been going early? Nobody. Why? Because they f$&king can't, that's why and you know it.

Re:

Dan2016 said:
On-the-rivet is a great term, I use it a lot, but 'tempo' is probably more accurate for this thread.
On-the-rivet is the same as eyeballs-out and biting-the-handlebars. I started cycling on a bike with the old riveted saddle. On-the-rivet meant the sliding forward on the saddle we do when we're eyeballs-out...you would slide onto the saddle rivet.
Skygollum tempo riding isn't eyeballs-out though. Riders can attack out of it, it's just that they very quickly hit the wall and come back to the group.
So, basically, they can't attack out of it...

hfer07 said:
thehog said:

Can't make that **** up.
The troubling aspect of Sky is that "everyone" in that team shows up for Froome at ridiculous sharp shape and power- all setting up 400 +watts average tempo going uphill and then Froomie ramps it up spinning 6.5W per Kilo to smash them up, when everyone have tired by just "following" Tempo.....

When Folks here say Froome is fading- I believe is the other riders & teams playing catch up!!

Troubling - what a euphemism. It has become utterly flagrant - it's a farce! I reckon Brailsford knows that he's untouchable and since his and Sky's reputation has been tainted now, there's no need to pay more than lipservice to 'normal', they are no longer the least bit bothered at upping their game.

I sense an almost exasperation from other riders with the utter dominance of sky and Froome in the GTs. Contador was asked after today's stage about Froome appearing to struggle at times up today's final climb but he almost dismissed this as rubbish analysis. When Froome whispered into his ear piece then drifted to the back of the thinned out peloton up the last climb it was almost like he was daring the others to attack to see what they had so that he could claw them back again after giving them an initial gap. It's demoralising for other riders that it gets to the stage where they say, 'what's the point'.

Re:

ontheroad said:
I sense an almost exasperation from other riders with the utter dominance of sky and Froome in the GTs. Contador was asked after today's stage about Froome appearing to struggle at times up today's final climb but he almost dismissed this as rubbish analysis. When Froome whispered into his ear piece then drifted to the back of the thinned out peloton up the last climb it was almost like he was daring the others to attack to see what they had so that he could claw them back again after giving them an initial gap. It's demoralising for other riders that it gets to the stage where they say, 'what's the point'.

Regardless of what position Froome finds himself in he can ride back or attack. Even at the Tour after a mechanical he rides straight back. Now he attacks when he needs to and Sky can tempo up to any attack. It's fruitless for any other team or rider.

Re: Re:

thehog said:
ontheroad said:

Regardless of what position Froome finds himself in he can ride back or attack. Even at the Tour after a mechanical he rides straight back. Now he attacks when he needs to and Sky can tempo up to any attack. It's fruitless for any other team or rider.

I agree that there is a definite sense there are 'mutterings' - more than a few are alluding to it in one way or another. I'll wager the 'little crack' scenario is imminent from Froome.

Still waiting for the mechanical at the foot of the climb though. They've not played that card at the Vuelta yet.

Re: Re:

Electress said:
thehog said:
ontheroad said:

I agree that there is a definite sense there are 'mutterings' - more than a few are alluding to it in one way or another. I'll wager the 'little crack' scenario is imminent from Froome.

Still waiting for the mechanical at the foot of the climb though. They've not played that card at the Vuelta yet.

I agree, a few riders are thankfully starting to drop hints and so they should because they have no chance against Sky to do anything worthwhile. Even Bardet can sucker a stage win and he weighs like 59kg! :confused:

Electress said:
hfer07 said:
thehog said:

Can't make that **** up.

Troubling - what a euphemism. It has become utterly flagrant - it's a farce! I reckon Brailsford knows that he's untouchable and since his and Sky's reputation has been tainted now, there's no need to pay more than lipservice to 'normal', they are no longer the least bit bothered at upping their game.

"Sky's reputation has been tainted now" talking about Euphemisms :rolleyes: The world of Cycling can care less about "SKY's reputation" IF nobody is caught, IF nobody is punished, IF the UCI looks the other way, IF UKAD plays a role in the cover-up

there

Froomey in some good company here, no wonder riders are complaining:

jvVaRnE.png

http://www.chronoswatts.com/news/119/

Interesting to see Dawg creeping into the 500w range which is the red zone. For a clean rider who once couldn't ride straight he certainly is a model marvel to mankind.

No one else is going to beat him with the ability to punch out those types of watts. Not even Lance. Pantani would perhaps hold him and nip him at the line.

thehog said:
Interesting to see Dawg creeping into the 500w range which is the red zone. For a clean rider who once couldn't ride straight he certainly is a model marvel to mankind.

No one else is going to beat him with the ability to punch out those types of watts. Not even Lance. Pantani would perhaps hold him and nip him at the line.
Pantani would have clobbered Froome, but he was about the only one. Even the likes of Armstrong, pre-'98 Virenque and Jimenez would have struggled.

42x16ss said:
Pantani would have clobbered Froome, but he was about the only one. Even the likes of Armstrong, pre-'98 Virenque and Jimenez would have struggled.
In 1995, Pantani's hematocrit tested (at least once) >60. Not sure any of those others ever raced that juiced.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

42x16ss said:
thehog said:

So, which endurance sports have times today the same or faster than 10/20/30 years ago. It's all of them isn't it ?

Re:

ontheroad said:
I sense the same. At least the fans are!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

adamfo said:
42x16ss said:
thehog said:

So, which endurance sports have times today the same or faster than 10/20/30 years ago. It's all of them isn't it ?
So true! At this rate, 20years from now the 100 meter will be run at 4 seconds. 17.5 W/kg will be the new normal. Marginal gains, baby! And you know. Things just keep on improving....

John Swanson

adamfo said:
42x16ss said:
thehog said:

Then why does Pantani still hold so many climbing records? Most of his records have been very safe until the last year or two (although AdH should be safe for a long while yet.)

TRENDING THREADS