• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Most memorable doped perfomances?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Heras' second or third fastest of all time ITT in the 05 Vuelta (he was later stripped of the overall for EPO). Agree about a lot of Bert's ITTs, especially the one where he beat Spartacus in the 09 Tour.

Rujano's performance in the 2005 Giro, winning the queen stage and almost catching Savoldell and Simoni for the overall. That is one of my favorite stages of all time.

This was not a long escape requiring special chemical help, and he had help from a change in the finish line, but I thought Vino's final stage victory in the 05 TDF, vaulting him into top 5, was pretty remarkable, given the competition among the world's top sprinters for that stage.


Chuffy said:
I still think that was a great ride, fresh blood or not. Death or glory!

What confuses me somewhat is that if everyone is on the sauce, especially in the good old days of unlimited EPO, how can one chap blow off the rest of the field so easily? Simple logic says that the rest of the field must be clean, but that's unlikely.

Seriously, can someone explain this?

A little help back in the peloton goes a long way. E.g., in Tyler's long solo win in the 2004 TDF, he clearly had certain powerful allies on other teams holding back attacks. A broken collarbone earlier in that race had eliminated TH from the overall.

Keep in mind that during the LA years, Postal/Disco could let anyone who wasn't a threat go that they wanted, and stop anyone who might be a threat from chasing. A lot of shuffling occurred in the top 5, and maybe even occasionally in the other two podium spots, because of this.
 
Aug 9, 2010
448
0
0
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Probably the same way if they were doing it clean. Keeping their powder dry until the pivotal moment or stage.
Indeed.
But then when they jump and vanish into the distance everyone strokes their chin and goes 'yeah, doper...'
 
Merckx index said:
A little help back in the peloton goes a long way. E.g., in Tyler's long solo win in the 2004 TDF, he clearly had certain powerful allies on other teams holding back attacks. A broken collarbone earlier in that race had eliminated TH from the overall.

Keep in mind that during the LA years, Postal/Disco could let anyone who wasn't a threat go that they wanted, and stop anyone who might be a threat from chasing. A lot of shuffling occurred in the top 5, and maybe even occasionally in the other two podium spots, because of this.

There was no holding back on the final climb yet Floyd barely lost time there despite being "solo" for over 100km before.

A bit like Sella's magical breaks in the Giro in 2008.

Guess some dopers just go extra.
 
For me there is one stand out one because of the context both at the time and since...

Floyd Morzine 2006.

I was amazing TV at the time and it's been the most ridiculous Soap Opera since. Nothing comes close for me.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
Chuffy said:
I still think that was a great ride, fresh blood or not. Death or glory!

What confuses me somewhat is that if everyone is on the sauce, especially in the good old days of unlimited EPO, how can one chap blow off the rest of the field so easily? Simple logic says that the rest of the field must be clean, but that's unlikely.

Seriously, can someone explain this?

My Lance is a miracle, the most fabulous miracle since the conception of baby Jesus and Jesus body vanishing from his tomb.

We have proof here in his wins of his magnificient greatness.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
Visit site
This might be the thread to ask:

Does anyone has more info on Sergei Sukhoruchenkov's win at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow?

Only thing I know is the guy attacked at km 0 and was never seen again.
Anyone got a good story or link for some more info.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,796
0
0
Visit site
Ullrich in the tdf 2003 for me, I think this was the only time he was on a level playing field with armstrong.. of course armstrong won in the end and I think this is a fair reflection for their battles, but ullrich ran him so close that year more than ever before... I don't believe ullrich was ever that fat or under trained, armstrong was slightly better as an athlete for sure, but the main reason ullrich couldn't compete with lance for years was that lance had a whole team helping him dope and ullrich only had himself helping him to dope and when he got back to working/doping with pevenage armstrong had gone(except in 2003).... I think the 2006 tdf ullrich would have been a match to anyone, shame he was barred from this competition......
 
palmerq said:
Ullrich in the tdf 2003 for me, I think this was the only time he was on a level playing field with armstrong.. of course armstrong won in the end and I think this is a fair reflection for their battles, but ullrich ran him so close that year more than ever before... I don't believe ullrich was ever that fat or under trained, armstrong was slightly better as an athlete for sure, but the main reason ullrich couldn't compete with lance for years was that lance had a whole team helping him dope and ullrich only had himself helping him to dope and when he got back to working/doping with pevenage armstrong had gone(except in 2003).... I think the 2006 tdf ullrich would have been a match to anyone, shame he was barred from this competition......

Ullrich did get fat each winter. Some early season races he would look comical in his team kit. On the doping front he had a similar setup to Armstrong, just substitute Ferrari with Cecchini. He was still one if my favourite ever riders though.
 
MR_Sarcastic said:
Floyd's big day in the Tour and Greg's great TT..........Wait, scratch that last one.....Greg's clean. Replace him with Gianni Bugno.....(pick a race)

Gianni Bugno, 1994 or 1993 Flanders. He was a one man team. Chase down breaks, get in breaks, attack in the finale, chase himself down, win the sprint (against Museeuw no less).

Edit: I'll add Indurain's 2nd place into Liege in the 1995 TdF.
 
Mapei won Paris-Roubaix several times because they were the best team by far. It was like watching Real Madrid at Wigan.

Nobel Prize: Floyd Landis Tour de France performance.

Notable reference do Frank Vdb and his 1999 Vuelta perfomances. That was amazing to watch. His burst of speed at Ávila was just cool. Then, at Navalmoral, the guy started setting an infernal pace and he dropped the whole EPO fueled field... Just cool. RIP VDB
 
palmerq said:
Ullrich in the tdf 2003 for me, I think this was the only time he was on a level playing field with armstrong.. of course armstrong won in the end and I think this is a fair reflection for their battles, but ullrich ran him so close that year more than ever before... I don't believe ullrich was ever that fat or under trained, armstrong was slightly better as an athlete for sure, but the main reason ullrich couldn't compete with lance for years was that lance had a whole team helping him dope and ullrich only had himself helping him to dope and when he got back to working/doping with pevenage armstrong had gone(except in 2003).... I think the 2006 tdf ullrich would have been a match to anyone, shame he was barred from this competition......

I have to respectfully disagree with your commenting of 'armstrong was slightly better as an athlete'...I think Jan was far more naturally talented as a rider than LA, and was genetically superior for racing a bike. Where Armstrong had the advantage was his fastiduous preparation (can read 'anal') and single-minded drive to kill the competition. ...not to mention surrounded by minions that were there solely to put Lance to the fore.
 
Aug 7, 2010
404
0
0
Visit site
Yeah...

Big Doopie said:
chiappucci. sestrieres. 1992.

armstrong. hautacam. 2000.


I was there the day of Chiappucci's unbelievable ride in the '92 TdF. Everyone in our group of spectators was amazed, if not skeptical. A real Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment :confused:
 
Even though he was not caught for doping and who knows if his opponent was or not, I'd have to say Rasmussen vs Contador at the TdF 2007. Their battles were absolutely amazing and honestly, I could care less if they doped or not when they had such a good race. I've been watching a ton of old TdF's lately and that's been my favorite so far.

I really think it sucks about what happened to MR and the fact that we will never get a rematch or get to see MR in the TdF again. There was a ton of screwy stuff going on and it wasn't just on MR's side. Anyone who can own Contador like him is cool with me though and his performance has made me a big fan of his. I'd love nothing more than to see him in the TdF again and I hope he can someday return.

Also, Kohl in the TdF was a big yellow flag for me. If you are going to cheat though, either win the race or be conspicuous or else you will end up as a double loser. Add Pantani and the year he won the tour to my list too.
 
Pantani's 1999 Giro is another. That race has all but been shuffled away on the shelves of history and no one wants to mention it. When Marco pulled on not one, not two, but all three leader jerseys after destroying everyone on the final mountain stage, those that didn't gawk in amazement, probably weren't shocked the next morning when he was pulled from the race.

Have to wonder if he had passed controls what would have happened at the 1999 Tour...
 
I've stated in another thread that I'm currently review the "Cyclism" Tours of the great Sir Lance, and I've been able to find moments where I just shake my head, not only at the performances but at the commentary.

What stands out is Paul Sherwen, who continually claims that post-cancer Armstrong lost 20 pounds, which is why he can climb the way he does. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, as I'm watching and listening I'm thinking "HemAssist, HemAssist, HemAssist". :eek:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: perico
Berzin said:
What stands out is Paul Sherwen, who continually claims that post-cancer Armstrong lost 20 pounds, which is why he can climb the way he does.:

When I think of Paul Sherwen, I think of this guy:

sherwen93.jpg


PR hack for Motorola...
 
  • Haha
Reactions: perico
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Jacques Anquetil- "The Double" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yqv7s6nbY

Just crazy.

Escarabajo said:
Whaaaaaaat? What the hell was that? 18 hours on the bike after winning the Dauphine?
That is just crazy.

The "better living through chemistry" era.

Besides amphetamines and cognac (or champagne), can anybody shed light on the other cycling drugs of the day?

In any case, whatever he might have been on, I've never understood just quite how Anquetil pulled that one off. Beyond amazing, it seems almost impossible. But I guess that's the whole point. :)
 

TRENDING THREADS