• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movistar

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Agree with this, Been watching Quintana for a while now. And while Froome with practically every attack and every win screams PED's, Quintana seems much more natural in his performances. His progression has been very normal and his performances all have been well within the bounds of what he should be capable of.

Yes, improving fitness during a grand tour and holding it without getting shelled early in the tour is almost impossible without artificial enhancements.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
interview in dutch press on the restday. Quintana used to bike to school and be there earlier than the school bus from his village :D

Just a general comment, Colombia appears to have a very robust competitive cycling environment. Standard of living is okay with a healthy population. Infrastructure is not great outside big cities. So, the infrastructure seems to be there to send a few of the best over to Europe. (Uran too)

For me, it's possible he's the real deal up to a point. Maybe the best way to describe it would be within bio-passport limits of clean. When he top-5's a grand tour TT, we know it's not "pan y agua" any more.

Also, Movistar's most senior guy Eusebio Unzué Labiano delivered Delgado and Indurain. There's that working against a clean team.

Dazed and Confused said:
Ridiculous performance from both.
Yeah, but while Purito is an obvious case of late-blooming doper, Quintana is seen as a bona-fide world-class, once-in-a-generation climbing talent. We also don't know to what extent he's going faster now than a week ago, because this is the first time he doesn't spend his energy early, unlike Purito. So he gets the benefit of the doubt to some extent, but always bearing in mind that he rides for Movistar and just beat a field of dopers.

hrotha said:
Yeah, but while Purito is an obvious case of late-blooming doper, Quintana is seen as a bona-fide world-class, once-in-a-generation climbing talent. We also don't know to what extent he's going faster now than a week ago, because this is the first time he doesn't spend his energy early, unlike Purito. So he gets the benefit of the doubt to some extent, but always bearing in mind that he rides for Movistar and just beat a field of dopers.

23 yo in his first TdF going better and better in the third week just doesn't compute.

And J-Rod should give it a rest, it simply looks hilarious.

Then of course we have the Froome/Porte theater.

Dazed and Confused said:
23 yo in his first TdF going better and better in the third week just doesn't compute.

Frozen storage?

Beaten to it. Or maybe he did a Rasmussen :D

Unless there's some new PED you can use mid-GT which has a bigger effect than "recovery therapy".

Dazed and Confused said:

Again, age is the least important factor. Real talent shows early.

And I just said this was the first time in the Tour he didn't go early. Comparisons are difficult.

hrotha said:
Again, age is the least important factor. Real talent shows early.

And I just said this was the first time in the Tour he didn't go early. Comparisons are difficult.

agree about talent. Gotta show early to be real in any sense.

The only thing preventing me from upgrading Quintana to the "doper group" (from suspicious) is the flat TT performance.

re Rasmussen comment from Ferminal: lol

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Froome said something to him, after which Quintana did a pull and then Froome attacked him.

Obviously just speculation but it seems like a reasonable interpretation.

froome begged quintana to cooperate because froome couldn't drop quintana initially. he said contador was blown hard and it would be good for both. froome said he wouldn't attack and then a few km later he attacked but quintana could still follow it. after that quintana just didn't help anymore and he blew finally. quintana was offended by what froome had done and that's why you see in alpe dhuez stage when froom is crying on the radio quintana goes berserk to drop him.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Just a general comment, Colombia appears to have a very robust competitive cycling environment. Standard of living is okay with a healthy population. Infrastructure is not great outside big cities. So, the infrastructure seems to be there to send a few of the best over to Europe. (Uran too)

For me, it's possible he's the real deal up to a point. Maybe the best way to describe it would be within bio-passport limits of clean. When he top-5's a grand tour TT, we know it's not "pan y agua" any more.

Also, Movistar's most senior guy Eusebio Unzué Labiano delivered Delgado and Indurain. There's that working against a clean team.

quintana is 100% clean to me. I have various reasons(personally) but the reason most cna buy at leats in colombia is that jhe was trained and guided by saldariaga. saldariaga is famous in colombia for refusing to dope and his stance against it. also their team manager luisa is even more verbal in this regard. if you've ever spoken to quintana about the matter you'd know doping doens';t even occur to him. the fact that he's now taking europe by storm tells me cycling is very clean again. he's an hors category talent ever since he firts got a racingbike and started to do races at age 16.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
quintana is 100% clean to me. I have various reasons(personally) but the reason most cna buy at leats in colombia is that jhe was trained and guided by saldariaga. saldariaga is famous in colombia for refusing to dope and his stance against it. also their team manager luisa is even more verbal in this regard. if you've ever spoken to quintana about the matter you'd know doping doens';t even occur to him. the fact that he's now taking europe by storm tells me cycling is very clean again. he's an hors category talent ever since he firts got a racingbike and started to do races at age 16.

cycling is very clean again?

With McQuaid running the show, i dont think so.

Colombians dont dope, just like the Brits dont dope. ;)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

whatever you're having, gimme some of it!

recent cycling history learns that it's not wise to base your judgement of the cleanliness of cycling and of riders on what people say.
why don't you judge it by what it is? The organizational structures, the people running the testing, the doctors, the speeds, etc.
For now that's all we have, and it doesn't look much different at present compared to the USPS era.

meat puppet said:
http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/55793768025/2013-tour-de-france-stage-18-alpe-dhuez-dpvam-analysis

quintana may well be a once in a generation phenom (aren't they all?), but surely one ought to maintain a very critical stance, no?

also progressing as the tour goes on. upthread, someone said BB unlikely, cos nairo was in colombia before the tour. which translates into saying that a refrigerated BB unlikely.

ever heard of siberia?

like the guy's style thou. hopefully he will pass conti.
How many talents have 91 VO2 max? I don't know many. Last I knew were Hinault and Lemond. At least they published their numbers.

Benotti69 said:
cycling is very clean again?

With McQuaid running the show, i dont think so.

Colombians dont dope, just like the Brits dont dope. ;)
Colombians dope also. Don't worry I am not naive.

At least Quintana showed his huge talent early in life and has been consistent at any time of the year, in any country, on any weather at any age.

Do Froome and Porte meet this basic criteria?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Really enjoyed the riding of Movistar in general and Quintana in particular this season. Certainly prepared to give him the same benefit of the doubt, given his upbringing (lived at altitude right, had to climb on a daily basis from a young age?) and clear potential. Looks to be a real gent to, and a good dose of panache.

TRENDING THREADS