• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Jerseys - 2023 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really intrigued to see what Trek'll do with Skin Quimmons new jersey. It shouldn't be hard, the blueprint was made years ago. A man with vision ought to just copy + paste this piece of art. This is Valley of the Sun, 2019, the year he would also become World Champion.

64993d3f9cbd6-Screenshot_2023-06-26_at_09.24.35.png

Reactions: firefly3323
So IPT are on their third jersey of the year (You'll probably have seen it elsewhere: 2019 FdJ kit washed without a detergent that makes your whites white). Apparently the Israeli tourist board don't even need to sponsor a team to get their marketing pushed. This has been made possible by a UCI rule change allowing three kits (or is it three changes, so 4?) a year.

So two questions come to mind:

1) Why would a team think that the brand awareness values of their main kit are so poor that they need to replace them every time they take part in a higher profile event?

2) How much revenue does any team get from replica kit sales? Does it ever amount to more than a tiny proportion of team budget? Anyone got any data on this?

Last edited:
1) Why would a team think that the brand awareness values of their main kit are so poor that they need to replace them every time they take part in a higher profile event?

2) How much revenue does any team get from replica kit sales? Does it ever amount to more than a tiny proportion of team budget? Anyone got any data on this?

I think part of the problem on point 1 is team kit design is so beholden to sponsors teams acquire, some of whom come and go in the blink of a eye even mid season, the teams probably dont see their main kit as being their identity anymore, its just the latest ad campaign for the sponsor, so they are happy to chop and change to suit the sponsors, and give them a little extra boost of clicks or interest around their big profile events. Although Trek did run with a special TdF/TdFF kit last year so arent immune to this fad, their latest kit is more a fundamental change of title sponsor, how long lived this iteration of their jersey is, we shall see.

on point 2, I assume the marketing bods run the numbers and dont see theres much value, though I suspect alot of old school velominati rule thinking comes into it, there are absolutely teams replica kit Id buy and Im astounded teams dont see that opportunity exists to make that a revenue stream for them. Its better than it was 20 years ago for sure, but I think theres still a long way they could go.

I suppose it had to happen in the womens peloton too, with Jumbo Visma already sporting their Velodrome dreams version like the mens.

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu3w8etArv9/

But Ceratizit WNT Pro are bringing out a one off jersey for the TdFF avec Zwift highlighting their association with Ale.

At least the national jersey still looks sweet