• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Newsflash. Brian Cookson, british cycling, to stand against Pat McQuaid (SUI) for uci

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
What are you talking about? Evaluating someone BEFORE they get elected is the entire basis of democracy. That's what ELECTIONS are all about. Evaluating someone's qualifications BEFORE the election happens, not AFTER.

Seriously, WTF?

This is better.

(Lets ignore that 'we' don't get a vote) - but a candidate should be evaluated on their qualifications and also what they have done (or not done) in the past, before the election.

This has not really happened in this thread.
A lot of the things thrown at Cookson are from the practices of Hein/Pat and have no bearing on what Cookson has done before with either BC or while at the UCI.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Is that a fact or is it just a subjective judgement by you?

Bad card Jimmy.

Cookson is backed by the nice Makarov. Are we also anti - Russian? Cookson is backed by LeMond, are we anti - LeMond?

Etc etc.
Bad card FGL.

Greg Lemond rode for Roger Legeay. Legeay tested positive as a rider. Are you pro drugs?

Etc etc.

Dr. Maserati said:
This is better.

(Lets ignore that 'we' don't get a vote) - but a candidate should be evaluated on their qualifications and also what they have done (or not done) in the past, before the election.

This has not really happened in this thread.
A lot of the things thrown at Cookson are from the practices of Hein/Pat and have no bearing on what Cookson has done before with either BC or while at the UCI.

The fact that Cookson supported McQuaid's re-election as late as January of this year should disqualify him immediately. Cookson was an inside guy and had to know what was going on. If he did not, he's too stupid to anywhere near leadership.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
The fact that Cookson supported McQuaid's re-election as late as January of this year should disqualify him immediately. Cookson was an inside guy and had to know what was going on. If he did not, he's too stupid to anywhere near leadership.

This is simple.

Do you really think Hein/Pat were sharing what they were up to with the Management Committee?
If the Mgt comm were in the know, why the need for 'the dossier'?

As an example - do you think the Management Committee who meet 3 times a year, were in on hiding the Contador positive?
There appears to be confusion here between the Management Committee and the Executive who handle the day to day stuff.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
It means you pre-judge something or someone, which is the perfect way to describe how people are reacting to Cookson. Judged before he's even been elected. Why? He's in charge of BC, has Sky links, which has Murdoch links, and has been a member of the UCI under McQuaid's watch.

And 'evidence to base suspicion on' is an oxymoron. If you have evidence you can be certain, not merely suspicious.

And FYI oxymoron isn't an insult, just in case.

Prejudice is to prejudge without facts and knowledge or examination of the facts. Prejudice can also be an attitude towards a person that is both favourable or unfavourable.

I have noticed on more than one occasion your posting trend appears to be very often prejudice in favour of Sky, for example. Or you may be prejudice (favourably) towards Cookson as he is British, as you may lack an analysis of the facts. Facts such as Cookson may have a conflict of interest with Sky sponsorship for example presiding on the board of BSkyB. Cookson has supplied us with a manifesto so we may prejudge and analyse the facts about what his intentions are should he become UCI president.

If someone puts themselves forward for candidacy for president and supplies us with a manifesto of his intentions then you are perfectly entitled to prejudge and analyse until your heart is content in that context. And more over is your democratic duty to do so. Similar to when you vote for a particular political party, vote at the ballet box having hopefully examined all the facts about a candidate and prejudged them accordingly.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
I think you are missing the point there. I am not saying that Lemond was doping or even implying that.
You just played a bad card and missed the point.

Badly.

Point I was trying to make is one should look further than country flags or people in this election. This election is a farce. Just like at the IOC, FIFA or fill in any pro sport election, F1 is even more fun, Dirty Bernie and his nazi friends :eek:

If one feels his/her nation is ridiculed, it often is very subjective.

Dr. Maserati said:
This is simple.

Do you really think Hein/Pat were sharing what they were up to with the Management Committee?
If the Mgt comm were in the know, why the need for 'the dossier'?

As an example - do you think the Management Committee who meet 3 times a year, were in on hiding the Contador positive?
There appears to be confusion here between the Management Committee and the Executive who handle the day to day stuff.

No, there is no confusion at all. I think you are needlessly complicating the matter.

The entire cycling world was aware of the allegations against McQuaid and the doping free-for-all that occurred during his and Verbruggen's tenure. It isn't just the dossier. McQuaid fought against WADA, fought against USADA, fought against Kimmage, fought against anyone who wanted to bring any sort of transparency to the sport.

Yet, in January of this year, Cookson declared his support for McQuaid. I fear electing Cookson is just changing the pot for the kettle.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
No, there is no confusion at all. I think you are needlessly complicating the matter.

No, I am not.
In fact I asked a pretty straight forward question which you ignored.
Do you think the members of the Mgt Comm were privy to any corrupt dealings of Hein/Pat?

Moose McKnuckles said:
The entire cycling world was aware of the allegations against McQuaid and the doping free-for-all that occurred during his and Verbruggen's tenure. It isn't just the dossier. McQuaid fought against WADA, fought against USADA, fought against Kimmage, fought against anyone who wanted to bring any sort of transparency to the sport.
No - there were allegations against Verbruggen, not McQuaid directly.
(If you disagree with this, then highlight the allegations)

Moose McKnuckles said:
Yet, in January of this year, Cookson declared his support for McQuaid. I fear electing Cookson is just changing the pot for the kettle.
The USADA/WADA/Kimmage stuff all happened in the past 12ish months.
While that rightly should be suspicious that McQuaid was trying to cover up - it was the Management Committee that got that turned around.

They essentially forced McQ to set up the Independent investigation - a strange thing to do if all are in on the deceit.

The reason Cookson spoke about supporting McQuaid in January was that an article appeared in Daily Mail with "British Cycling's Cookson emerges as UCI contender if McQuaid resigns over Armstrong doping scandal".

Thats what forced Cookson to comment about McQ:
"There's not a vacancy and I'm not a candidate," he said. "I'm 100% supportive of Pat McQuaid and I think speculation is unhelpful at this stage when there are some delicate negotiations underway."

First, you ignored the part in my post where I noted McQuaid's fight against Wada, Usada, Kimmage, etc. Cookson surely was aware of all this.

Now, if the Management Committee was not aware of anything, why would they have to "force" (your words) McQuaid to set up an investigation?

I think plenty of people were aware of McQuaid's shadiness, Cookson included. And yet, Cookson was "100% supportive of Pat McQuaid." Cookson seems to be another pig just maneuvering for a turn at the trough.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Whilst i was writing the following , you people were generating about 100 comments to the thread ! Around 6 around we go , etc

There were a few laughs , but wore me out , so , before i go to sleep i will give you something to read .

Enjoy : Comes in 2 instalments :

from tourdafarce :

" It's Tuesday and phat the rat is at it again ! With the internet providing the World with constant Updates , the truth is available 24/7 , yet there are those that " Huff & Puff " , and hope we the poor saps , can't follow the action or read between the lines !

For years the " Clinic " of that famous Forum , Cyclingnews.com , has had that famous refrain " It will be revealed on Tuesday " ! Well we certainly get to read the revealed " info " on most Tuesdays ! This week we were entertained with the relevation of WHAT WENT on in the June 2013 , UCI Management meeting in Bergen . We had ALL seen the rumours in the Media , also confirmed by UCI Management Member , Brian Cookson's Blog , shortly thereafter . Respecting the Confidentiality of the Meeting , Brian only revealed the bare info confirming a disturbing report being made available at that Meeting of the UCI Members .

Today we find the Media full of more revealing detail . Following excerpts will give the reader a better understanding of the situation that exists .

The report tabled was quite extensive but a leak of a 3 page summary is now in the Public Domain :

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/09/UCI-Dossier-document.pdf

See below for the content of that report !

Released also today , is Brian Cookson's latest instalment of his Blog , containing confirmation of the accuracy of this report , establishing the similarity to that tabled in June :

http://briancookson.org/en/news/

His short statement :

" These allegations, which appear to be similar to those made to the UCI Management Committee in June, are clearly very serious. For the good of the UCI and cycling, they should be immediately and thoroughly investigated by the relevant authorities. I hope that this matter can be fully resolved before the UCI congress on 27 September.
"For my part, I remain totally committed to a democratic election under the Constitution of the UCI and will continue to talk and listen to national federations and voting delegates on how, together, we can grow cycling globally and restore faith and trust in our sport."
It is worth visiting the Blog , since there are links to previous entries , which in the main address the timeline , since his announcement of his Candidacy for the role of UCI President . His Twitter feed will no doubt highlight the reference to the June Meeting in Bergen .

phat has had his say yesterday, with a Media outlet :
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/news/leaked-file-alleges-deep-uci-corruption-cover-ups_302277
Taken from this report , is one of his comments :
" “This is a scurrilous and libellous attack on my character, with a political agenda that is both nakedly transparent and totally contemptible,” he wrote, “and unfortunately one that is completely in character with the tactics of my opponents.”
Had there been NO Truth in the report tabled in Bergen , most people would be entitled to assume that he would have taken up the matter at an earlier time , with the issue of one of his " FAMOUS KIMMAGE STYLE LEGAL ACTIONS "?
Things are suspiciously fishy at Aigle , since we have had the FIRST Le Tour , in recent History , where there were NO SANCTIONS for Doping PUBLISHED ! Could it be that phat has a desk drawer , full of the " Positives " , but dare not reveal them , since he is in the " How to WIN FRiends mode "?
Another site had this to say lately , perhaps after reading my blog elsewhere :
" A few weeks back the news came out that there were no positive tests from the Tour de France. There were over 600 tests carried out and I can tell you, we all had our fair share of early morning visits. I think it’s encouraging. Cycling is light-years ahead of all other sports when it comes to testing."
Source of this comment leads back to a new site , with the mystery Racer , yet to be discovered :
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/09/the-secret-pro-the-late-season-lull/

This is not the ONLY Site , that is suspicious of the lack of " Sanctions ", emanating from the first " Le Tour" in recent times , to not find itself saddled with numerous DOPING CHEATS ! Here are a selection of comments from :

http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/09/not-dead-yet/comment-page-1/#comment-780734

" In an interview on Irish radio McQuaid claimed he was not only not breaking the rules, he was “not even bending the rules.”

" Okay, so when I write it like that, it’s not that funny. Maybe we should cue a laugh track. I’m sure Monty Python could have made a better joke of it, provided we weren’t talking about Pat McQuaid, but something humorous, like the Spanish Inquisition."

" But then I remembered that McQuaid had managed enough arm twisting to secure the following:
The Swiss federation to nominate him (even if only briefly)
The Malaysian federation to propose a change to the constitution
The Moroccan federation to nominate him
The Thai federation to nominate him

Bear in mind that this Blog post originated on the 3rd Sept , and a lot can happen in a week of Politicing :

" That’s when I realized that we can’t leave this outcome to something as easily manipulated as a democratic election. An election is worse than a game of chance."

Since then a few other Feds have nailed their colours to the @Cooksonforuci masthead !

Baal Daniel ‏@baal_baal5 Sep
I count on @cooksonforuci to restore #cycling to its rightfull place.
Retweeted by Brian Cookson OBE

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci6 Sep
2/2 Kristy Scrymgeour: "A change in leadership at the UCI will be a step in the right direction"
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
More

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci6 Sep
1/2 Kristy Scrymgeour: "There is a lot of momentum behind women’s cycling right now and some great ideas for positive change.

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci5 Sep
Canada and New Zealand are the latest National Federations to add their support to my UCI Presidency campaign:

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci1 Sep
I'm delighted that French Cycling's Honorary President Jean Pitallier has joined Greg LeMond in supporting me http://briancookson.org/en/news/

In a little over Two Weeks , we the Public , will see the UCI choose one of TWO Candidates to lead the UCI into the next 4 year term ! Jacques Rogge , that great mate of Nein Fordruggen , steps down today , after the Buenos Aires Election of his successor . With his departure and the reports that Nein is disowning his " NEVER , Never , never " statements AND his association with phat , the ship of state that phat was commanding , has now taken on the shape of a submarine , that has left its tubes open to let in the flood ?
The title of this Blog Post , comes from Dame Tanni ( UCIIC Member , ) , whose Tweet in recent times regarding the UCI going ons was " YOU COULDN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP ! " !
Meanwhile in the REAL World , we have a Film Premiere taking place , featuring , none other than the 7 times WINNER of that Perrenial Doping/Cheating Contest AKA " Le Tour "!

Tweeted comments on this event include the following :

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage18h
Interesting to watch @TrueBS getting stuck into Lance at the Toronto premier of 'The Armstrong Lie.' He says (of the deception): 'That's...

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage18h
...what makes what he did particularly odious." You mean WE, surely Bill?

ANOTHER First being announced by WADA :

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=44461

WADA to Introduce New "Steroid Passport"
9/9/2013

Seems that the CHEATS are about to have their FUTURE curtailled !

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
First, you ignored the part in my post where I noted McQuaid's fight against Wada, Usada, Kimmage, etc. Cookson surely was aware of all this.
What the....?

Here is what I wrote again:
The USADA/WADA/Kimmage stuff all happened in the past 12ish months.
While that rightly should be suspicious that McQuaid was trying to cover up - it was the Management Committee that got that turned around.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Now, if the Management Committee was not aware of anything, why would they have to "force" (your words) McQuaid to set up an investigation?
Again, this is really really simple.
If they knew about McQs (alleged) deceit they would support him, as they are all in this together.
But if they didn't they would ask McQ had he anything to hide - do you think McQuaid would say "Aw, shucks...."
No - then the next option is, lets have an independent commission.

Moose McKnuckles said:
I think plenty of people were aware of McQuaid's shadiness, Cookson included. And yet, Cookson was "100% supportive of Pat McQuaid." Cookson seems to be another pig just maneuvering for a turn at the trough.
Again - this is simple.

Shadiness?? Hmm thats a vague term - what happened corrupt?
Thinking and knowing are 2 different things.

Again - you assume that a lot were in on the (alleged) fix - he was supportive of McQuaid who at that time was assisting in the Independent Investigation - of course when it became to independent he killed it.
Thats what changed a lot of people (outside The Clinics) attitude.