• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The worst thing about all this whole debacle is that it's not just about Armstrong. It has completely devalued cycling in general. I mean nowadays you just know that everyone is doped there anyway (+ at least some probably use that so-called motor doping). What difference does disqualifying one rider make any more?

Re:

zarnack said:
The worst thing about all this whole debacle is that it's not just about Armstrong. It has completely devalued cycling in general. I mean nowadays you just know that everyone is doped there anyway (+ at least some probably use that so-called motor doping). What difference does disqualifying one rider make any more?

Going after the USPS, and just canning Lance and Jphann was BS, although I did see it awesome they went after the doctors. Admittedly Lance is a fraud, a cheat and an A-Hole, however he did a lot, and I mean a lot for US Cycling. Looking at some of the riders implicated and lomgterm doctors, I really wish Tygart went about this in another way, following US anti doping penalties seen in NFL, and MBL. All Travis proved is how cycling is dirty, however I believe less dirty than more popular, and richer sports.

Re: Re:

This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:
however he did a lot, and I mean a lot for US Cycling

Facts: USA Cycling stopped publishing an annual report. I'm sure it's because of all the good Lance did for the sport. Where are those lucrative pro cycling sponsorships needed to run a decent doping program?

Anyone you talk to about cycling that isn't kissing Lance's a__ has the opinion it is all a doped, corrupt mess. Because it is.

DirtyWorks said:
This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:

Facts: USA Cycling stopped publishing an annual report. I'm sure it's because of all the good Lance did for the sport. Where are those lucrative pro cycling sponsorships needed to run a decent doping program?

Anyone you talk to about cycling that isn't kissing Lance's a__ has the opinion it is all a doped, corrupt mess. Because it is.
But it isn't a doped, corrupt mess because Lance cheated. Lance cheated because it's a doped, corrupt mess.

Lance got singled out as the fall guy, but they didn't do anything to go after or fix the actual problem in the sport. The fact that he got the brunt of it was complete BS and did absolutely nothing for the long-term prevention of doping in the sport.

Saint Unix said:
DirtyWorks said:
This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:

But it isn't a doped, corrupt mess because Lance cheated. Lance cheated because it's a doped, corrupt mess.

Lance got singled out as the fall guy, but they didn't do anything to go after or fix the actual problem in the sport. The fact that he got the brunt of it was complete BS and did absolutely nothing for the long-term prevention of doping in the sport.

The fact that Lance got the brunt of it was REALLY GOOD THEATER. Anybody who doesn't appreciate that drama should take another look at it. It had everything! It was a wonderful balloon-deflater to those who take bike racing way too seriously. It was so entertaining. (But of course, here on this forum, Lance was the worstest human being who ruined lives. LOL)

Re:

ebandit said:
poor lance....what bollox....he got nothing more than he deserved....sanction loss of results/contracts

and he was not the only one team doctors.bruyneel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well he was an early investor in Uber which is about to go IPO which should make him more money than he ever did as a cyclist. I say he came out alright.

thehog said:
ebandit said:
poor lance....what bollox....he got nothing more than he deserved....sanction loss of results/contracts

Well he was an early investor in Uber which is about to go IPO which should make him more money than he ever did as a cyclist. I say he came out alright.
...or maybe not.

Uber's IPO joins ranks of Wall Street flops
Uber plunged at the opening of trading, falling as much as 8.8% from its IPO price of $45 per share. The stock closed at $41.57

Uber's IPO got caught in a perfect storm
In all, Uber lost nearly $6 billion in market cap in its first five hours as a public company.

StyrbjornSterki said:
thehog said:
ebandit said:

...or maybe not.

Uber's IPO joins ranks of Wall Street flops
Uber plunged at the opening of trading, falling as much as 8.8% from its IPO price of $45 per share. The stock closed at $41.57

Uber's IPO got caught in a perfect storm
In all, Uber lost nearly $6 billion in market cap in its first five hours as a public company.

Whether Uber 'flopped' on IPO misses the point. We need to know how many shares Lance has for his $100k (and on what terms..) before you can even start to calculate how much his holding is worth...

I'll contend that he has done more than very well should he have sold his entire holding on IPO day.

Norks74 said:
Whether Uber 'flopped' on IPO misses the point. We need to know how many shares Lance has for his $100k (and on what terms..) before you can even start to calculate how much his holding is worth...

I'll contend that he has done more than very well should he have sold his entire holding on IPO day.

Investors who bought Uber shares 3 years ago have lost 15% of their money, before fees. The opportunity cost is even greater: Investors in the S&P 500 have seen their money grow by 50% over the same period.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Norks74 said:

Investors who bought Uber shares 3 years ago have lost 15% of their money, before fees. The opportunity cost is even greater: Investors in the S&P 500 have seen their money grow by 50% over the same period.

Thanks. Good link. It seems that Lance got in early enough (2009). I wonder if he sold his holding on IPO day?

DirtyWorks said:
This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:

Exactly! I always get a huge laugh whenever someone uses the "they all doped, so what" response. They did? You sure? Have any proof that EVERY SINGLE RIDER during Wonderboys run was in fact doping?

"Well erm...i erm...."..

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

Certainly every one of Armstrong's main rivals on Tour de France podium were found doping at some point apart from Escartin. Given Armstrong basically admitted to doping for all wins, would be amateurish of the others to not be. Back in those days the opinion was that doping was being a good professional. EPO not even detectable for 3/4 of Armstrong's wins anyway and half it was as good as legalised by UCI anyway.

Alex Zülle
Fernando Escartín
Jan Ullrich
Joseba Beloki
Raimondas Rumšas
Alexander Vinokourov
Andreas Klöden
Ivan Basso

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

86TDFWinner said:
DirtyWorks said:
This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:

Exactly! I always get a huge laugh whenever someone uses the "they all doped, so what" response. They did? You sure? Have any proof that EVERY SINGLE RIDER during Wonderboys run was in fact doping?

"Well erm...i erm...."..

First question - Sky/Ineos

Second question - this is just game with words, just add "GC contender" instead rider ... . and you can add to Sam Hocking nearly everyone from top 10 from LA years, Iban Mayo, Francisco Mancebo etc...

lartiste said:
86TDFWinner said:
DirtyWorks said:
This Charming Man said:
zarnack said:

"Well erm...i erm...."..

First question - Sky/Ineos

Second question - this is just game with words, just add "GC contender" instead rider ... . and you can add to Sam Hocking nearly everyone from top 10 from LA years, Iban Mayo, Francisco Mancebo etc...

Well I assume 'they all dope' we're discussing all the riders that Armstrong beat. 99% of the peloton he isn't having to beat, they are the team mates sacrificing themselves for the GC contenders he did.

As for Sky/Ineos I've no idea what the question is?

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

Concerning Sky/Ineos, it was reaction to Dirty works question which I highlited in bold:

"Where are those lucrative pro cycling sponsorships needed to run a decent doping program? "

fmk_RoI said:
Norks74 said:
I wonder if he sold his holding on IPO day?
He never had a holding.

He was invested in a fund that invested in Uber.

And the price has already climbed from its $37-something low to $43-something.

Maybe save the bunting and champagne for later, peeps.

Indeed, you are correct, his money was/is in a Lowercase Capital venture cap. fund.

NBCSN will broadcast an interview with Lance Armstrong following Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The network announced Thursday that the 30-minute special will start after the game on Wednesday night. Armstrong will discuss his career with Mike Tirico in "Lance Armstrong: Next Stage."

The interview covers the doping culture within cycling when he competed, Armstrong's separation from the Livestrong Foundation that supports people with cancer and what's next for him.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping by the International Cycling Union in 2012.

He tells Tirico "we did what we had to do to win. It wasn't legal, but I wouldn't change a thing — whether it's losing a bunch of money, going from hero to zero."
http://www.startribune.com/nbcsn-to-air-30-minute-interview-with-lance-armstrong/510324372/

"I wouldn't change a thing".

There ya go. In case anyone here still thinks he has been rehabilitated or somehow changed. Nope. He's learned nothing. He would still cheat the same, lie the same, ruin lives the same... "wouldn't change a thing".

Ninety5rpm said:
NBCSN will broadcast an interview with Lance Armstrong following Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The network announced Thursday that the 30-minute special will start after the game on Wednesday night. Armstrong will discuss his career with Mike Tirico in "Lance Armstrong: Next Stage."

The interview covers the doping culture within cycling when he competed, Armstrong's separation from the Livestrong Foundation that supports people with cancer and what's next for him.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping by the International Cycling Union in 2012.

He tells Tirico "we did what we had to do to win. It wasn't legal, but I wouldn't change a thing — whether it's losing a bunch of money, going from hero to zero."
http://www.startribune.com/nbcsn-to-air-30-minute-interview-with-lance-armstrong/510324372/

There ya go. In case anyone here still thinks he has been rehabilitated or somehow changed. Nope. He's learned nothing. He would still cheat the same, lie the same, ruin lives the same... "wouldn't change a thing".

I think, from the excerpts, that's somewhat misrepresenting what he meant. I took it to mean that he's not unhappy with the person he is today, and doping and subsequent takedown are all part of him now. Where I think he shows that he has indeed learned nothing is that he seems to say that he wouldn't change the way he acted toward others (although he suggests there's more to it than that).

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ass, I acted like an ass, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

But, clearly, that's not in his makeup. I'm looking forward to the whole interview.

Ninety5rpm said:

WTF?

You still don’t understand your roll in all this? :geek:

Bolder said:
Ninety5rpm said:

I think, from the excerpts, that's somewhat misrepresenting what he meant. I took it to mean that he's not unhappy with the person he is today, and doping and subsequent takedown are all part of him now. Where I think he shows that he has indeed learned nothing is that he seems to say that he wouldn't change the way he acted toward others (although he suggests there's more to it than that).

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ***, I acted like an ***, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

But, clearly, that's not in his makeup. I'm looking forward to the whole interview.

Actually he means that going through all this has changed him and makes him what he is today. You're right the whole thing is taken out of context and used to fuel interest in this tired, dead story.

red_flanders said:
Bolder said:
Ninety5rpm said:

None of this is really cycling or doping related but it's been shown time and again that contrition is a winning strategy. I think we all can agree that an apology for doping would be pretty meaningless, especially from him, but to say, "I was an ***, I acted like an ***, I treated friends and enemies alike horribly. I don't expect you to forgive me for doping, I'm working every day on being a better person." -- that might win him a few points.

Actually he means that going through all this has changed him and makes him what he is today. You're right the whole thing is taken out of context and used to fuel interest in this tired, dead story.
But keep in mind, it's Wonderboy who continues beating the dead horse and continuing to keep it in the publics view.

Where's Flandis since all has went down, he's remained relatively quiet & not continually had to keep doing everything to remain relevant, unlike Wonderboy.

Same with Georgy Porgy, Levi, etc...we rarely hear anything about them these days.

But guess who can't help himself in slathering himself as much as he can EVERYWHERE? Wonderboy.

He knows he still has ball washers who STILL feed him attention, and him being an attention w:#!$, he has no problem continuing on. He's STILL yet to apologize to LeMond and Betsy, Frankie, Walsh, etc., doubt he ever will. There are folks who sadly STILL think he's done nothing wrong and what he did was no big deal. These are also the same folks who believe doping isn't going on today.

Alpe73 said:
Ninety5rpm said:

WTF?

You still don’t understand your roll in all this? :geek:
???

TRENDING THREADS