• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
What could Peter do if he built his season around a GT, changed his training and went to altitude camps?

That thread inevitably gets started for every great calssics/one-day puncheur. "Can _____ Win the Tour?"

EDIT:
PremierAndrew said:
mr. tibbs said:
Sagan: "You cannot plan that. It just happens. Crazy."

Contrast this with by-the-book Cav listlessly drifting along off the back.

Cav? By-the-book?

Guessing he should have changed his tyres with 50km to go because he should have been able to tell that he was going to have a puncture 35k later

Let's not pretend the end result would have been anything else.

Re: Re:

mr. tibbs said:
CheckMyPecs said:
What could Peter do if he built his season around a GT, changed his training and went to altitude camps?

That thread inevitably gets started for every great calssics/one-day puncheur. "Can _____ Win the Tour?"

EDIT:
PremierAndrew said:
mr. tibbs said:
Sagan: "You cannot plan that. It just happens. Crazy."

Contrast this with by-the-book Cav listlessly drifting along off the back.

Cav? By-the-book?

Guessing he should have changed his tyres with 50km to go because he should have been able to tell that he was going to have a puncture 35k later

Let's not pretend the end result would have been anything else.

Point me to a race in the last 5 years where Cav has not been in the front echelon at any point in the race.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :razz:
There'll come a day when winning his nth Tour stage or yet another green jersey just won't be enough anymore. What then?

CheckMyPecs said:
BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:

There'll come a day when winning the nth Tour stage or yet another green jersey just won't be enough anymore. True champions like Sagan need new challenges.

Ye, but there are still one-day races and Monuments to win. Aiming at GT GC means he'll never be able to win most of those. As it is, he's got a chance at all of them.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:
BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:

There'll come a day when winning the nth Tour stage or yet another green jersey just won't be enough anymore. True champions like Sagan need new challenges.

Ye, but there are still one-day races and Monuments to win. Aiming at GT GC means he'll never be able to win most of those. As it is, he's got a chance at all of them.
I think a Valverde approach could be useful: aim for two peaks, one in the spring season and another for the Tour.

What a ride today. I really like how he shows that a rider whose sprint just isn't good enough to win against riders like Cavendish or Kittel can still win a lot of stages. He was so unlucky in the last few years but since Gent-Wevelgem it seems like everything he tries works.

Does anyone know what his plans for the rest of the year are? I guess he will ride the WC RR, but before that? The Vuelta could be good for him since there probably won't be many sprinters and there are a few stages which would suit him very well.

Edit: I just noticed he could ride the Canadian classics followed by the Eneco tour. I think he could still win quite a lot in this season that way.

CheckMyPecs said:
BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:
BigMac said:
CheckMyPecs said:

I think a Valverde approach could be useful: aim for two peaks, one in the spring season and another for the Tour.

Valverde focuses on the hilly classics, like LBL. Sagan focuses on the cobbles.

TRENDING THREADS