• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
This is strange, why there are those Leclerc pylons sticking out like this?
To be more visible and so to make more money?

zIwiYG4.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
This is strange, why there are those Leclerc pylons sticking out like this?
To be more visible and so to make more money?

zIwiYG4.png
Those pylons are in plumb alignment with the fence bases and probably would break free if contacted. That's a good point and similar to other dangerous finish zones: you hit either the pylon or the base and you will crash and yes, of course it's for advertising. That pays for the event.
Another reason to not jump into the barrier gap however enticing it may be. As for VanEert as Cyclocross World Champ...he is not unaccustomed to creating space; just not at this speed.

Reactions: richwallone
the emphasis is different. I mean, either way it’s pretty clearly siding with Sagan but since when has sprinting gone soft isn‘t a direct personal insult to WVA in the way that since when have sprinters gone soft is.

Well, since Van Aert is the only sprinter complaining about sprints being "hard", and he was asked specifically about Var Aerts complaint, it's difficult for me to see he should be directing it at anyone else?

Reactions: joe_papp
I think the implication is that you think Van Aert is soft because he got your favourite rider relegated.

I'm not a fanboy, I call them like I see them, irrespective of the rider (to be fair, unless the rider is Danish, that is most definitely my soft spot :p).

I didn't bring the word "soft" into this - Bennett did - when asked about Van Aert being upset by Sagan's way of sprinting.

And for the record, I do not think Van Aert is "soft", and I fully understand his apprehension with sprints, given what happened last year.

But, I found Bennetts reply funny, and I still do :)

By the way I have said repeatedly, that I think Sagan's relegation was right.

However I do not think Sagan was in any way "dangerous" or "dirty", and that is not why I think the relegation was right.

I think the relegation was fair, purely because he impeded Van Aerts sprint and potentially cost him a win.

Do you guys think that Sagan will make it to the finish of tomorrow's stage [Stage 14, 12 September, Clermont-Ferrand – Lyon, 197km ] in a position to win? The only points sprint is at 38km...and then I'm wondering if he'll be able to make it over the climbs :/ He does not seem to be the rider of old, but I'm finding that day-to-day it's difficult to gauge his true level.

It'll be a tricky needle to thread for Bora, but they have to drop Bennett (and Ewan, Bol, Viviani, etc) over the early climbs, without dropping Sagan, and then reel in as many of the break as possible over the remaining kilometers, probably with very little help from the rest of the peloton, control attacks over the 2 late cat 4s, and then with minimal leadout (and possibly some Quickstep disruption from Alaphilippe and Jungels), set Sagan up to beat Coquard, EBH, Trentin and possibly vanAert in the sprint for whatever points are still on offer.

If they pull back 20 points on Bennett, it'll be a very good day for them. Which shows the size of the task they have.

It'll be a tricky needle to thread for Bora, but they have to drop Bennett (and Ewan, Bol, Viviani, etc) over the early climbs, without dropping Sagan, and then reel in as many of the break as possible over the remaining kilometers, probably with very little help from the rest of the peloton, control attacks over the 2 late cat 4s, and then with minimal leadout (and possibly some Quickstep disruption from Alaphilippe and Jungels), set Sagan up to beat Coquard, EBH, Trentin and possibly vanAert in the sprint for whatever points are still on offer.

If they pull back 20 points on Bennett, it'll be a very good day for them. Which shows the size of the task they have.
Or keep setting high paces to get Bennett OTTL.

Or keep setting high paces to get Bennett OTTL.
I can't see Bora trying it.

Even if they do, I doubt it'll work very well. Bennett is an underrated climber, and is well able to stay with the gruppetto. He gets a lot of last places/bottom 10 finishes, but I've long suspected that he sets out on very hard stages to use as little energy as possible to finish.

He only finished 3min down on Sagan today. If Sam doesn't make the time cut I don't think it'll be BORA's doing.
I can't see Bora trying it.

Even if they do, I doubt it'll work very well. Bennett is an underrated climber, and is well able to stay with the gruppetto. He gets a lot of last places/bottom 10 finishes, but I've long suspected that he sets out on very hard stages to use as little energy as possible to finish.
But if the gruppeto finishes OTL he'll lose points. Plus after being dropped Sagan has no reason to ride.

Just wanted to acknowledge what an insightful prediction this was, and how helpful I found your post. Thanks for having taken the time to reply to my o.p./question re. Sagan. Cheers.

I'm not sure if another green jersey is worth all the effort, i personally thought BORA would give up after stage 11 but it makes the race more exciting so i can't complain.

It's worth it because he thinks it's worth it.

He has won it without a fight seven times. It's good to see him wage war on the pretenders when the going gets tough.

It's worth it because he thinks it's worth it.

He has won it without a fight seven times. It's good to see him wage war on the pretenders when the going gets tough.

yeah, if he wins this one, it will be the one people remember. Not the walkovers, the time he had his back to the wall and his team made carnage out of random apparently unpromising stages.

yeah, if he wins this one, it will be the one people remember. Not the walkovers, the time he had his back to the wall and his team made carnage out of random apparently unpromising stages.
"Do you remember the time Sagan won a bunch of uncontested sprints across the middle of France and then outclimbed Kittel and Cavendish? No?"

I find it a bit puzzling how much effort he puts on this green jersey. On one hand he shows a great fighting spirit but on the other, why he is riding for something that he already won 7 times and is the record holder?

Sagan is the most Tour obsessed rider since Lance but unlike Armstrong he only fights for a secondary jersey...

• Wow
Reactions: joe_papp

TRENDING THREADS