• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

PostNord Danmark Rundt - Tour of Denmark (2.HC DEN) - SE

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That cancellation was a disgrace. First, the organizers decide to neutralize the race, apparently because of a phone call from one of the team managers. The riders don't agree - they want to go on or stop completely -, and they eventually stop in a small forest (yes, a forest, so it's not that they are afraid of trees falling on them - they just don't like the bad weather).

It seems the decision to cancel the stage had something to do with the race not being recognized as a big race, and that's just foolish. The organizers keep talking about the wind as a possibly deciding factor in this race - where there are few really tough climbs -, and now that they got the wind, they didn't have the guts to let it make its impact. So tragic.

There had been at least one tree falling on the route. Maybe they just figured that though stopping in a forest was less than ideal, it was still the least-terrible place they could stop.
Besides, Tour of Denmark is a small race, no point in having riders getting injured in a race like this so close the the World Championships. A bigger race I'd say they should have continued as much as safety allowed, but this? A race that - to some - is essentially a prep race for the Worlds? No point. The race will continue tomorrow, hopefully without any incidents.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
There had been at least one tree falling on the route. Maybe they just figured that though stopping in a forest was less than ideal, it was still the least-terrible place they could stop.
Besides, Tour of Denmark is a small race, no point in having riders getting injured in a race like this so close the the World Championships. A bigger race I'd say they should have continued as much as safety allowed, but this? A race that - to some - is essentially a prep race for the Worlds? No point. The race will continue tomorrow, hopefully without any incidents.
I can't follow you on that one. It's by far the biggest race of the season for at least four of the teams involved and if the riders on the bigger teams are afraid of injuries or getting sick, they can always pull a DNS og DNF.

Re:

Danskebjerge said:
That cancellation was a disgrace. First, the organizers decide to neutralize the race, apparently because of a phone call from one of the team managers. The riders don't agree - they want to go on or stop completely -, and they eventually stop in a small forest (yes, a forest, so it's not that they are afraid of trees falling on them - they just don't like the bad weather).

It seems the decision to cancel the stage had something to do with the race not being recognized as a big race, and that's just foolish. The organizers keep talking about the wind as a possibly deciding factor in this race - where there are few really tough climbs -, and now that they got the wind, they didn't have the guts to let it make its impact. So tragic.
I didnt follow the race but this just seems stupid. With huge gusts and rain in cold weather the last thing you wanna do is just neutralize the race, it gets freezing cold like that.. We need Tim Wellens in this race.

EDIT: And I don't have to say how much I despise Jesper *** Worre after what he did to Michael in 2007.

It's a big race for the local riders. On the greater scale of things, it's not that important.
On the greater scale of things one cancelled stage probably won't matter much. If tomorrow's stage had been cancelled that would be a different matter, but a flat sprint stage? I'm sure the race will be fine without it.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
It's a big race for the local riders. On the greater scale of things, it's not that important.
On the greater scale of things one cancelled stage probably won't matter much. If tomorrow's stage had been cancelled that would be a different matter, but a flat sprint stage? I'm sure the race will be fine without it.

This stage could have been the most decisive of them all, because of the wind. It was a tough wind, but far from dangerous. They were heading for the town Faaborg where the wind speed was at 15 meters per second. That's not even close to being a real storm.

In addition, how did the riders get back to their hotels, many kilometers away from where they had stopped? Well, they went there by bike. That's how dangerous (?) the conditions were.

I'm seeing some people relating the Tour of Denmark to the upcoming World Championships - saying that risks need to be minimized. That's crazy. When you have a stage race that tries to attract top riders, you have to go all-in and see the race as the most important thing in the world. Otherwise, it will slowly fade away.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Danskebjerge said:

I didnt follow the race but this just seems stupid. With huge gusts and rain in cold weather the last thing you wanna do is just neutralize the race, it gets freezing cold like that.. We need Tim Wellens in this race.

EDIT: And I don't have to say how much I despise Jesper **** Worre after what he did to Michael in 2007.
I don't see how that would change anything.
I was happy to see him do his thing in Namur

Today's stage is the queen stage, with several two-digit climbs within the last 50 kilometers. Gammel Kongevej with 19.5 percent maximum is the most intriguing, but the deciding climb will probably be Kiddesvej (19 percent) as this is placed on the finishing circuit.

I'll mention one more climb which is pretty nice. It is the climb of Østengård, 930 meters at 8.1 percent in average. It has a maximum grade of 18. Unfortunately, the climb is surrounded by trees, so it doesn't look so impressive on TV, and recently it hasn't even been shown. Østengård is reached today with around 50 kilometers to go.

Danskebjerge said:
Today's stage is the queen stage, with several two-digit climbs within the last 50 kilometers. Gammel Kongevej with 19.5 percent maximum is the most intriguing, but the deciding climb will probably be Kiddesvej (19 percent) as this is placed on the finishing circuit.

I'll mention one more climb which is pretty nice. It is the climb of Østengård, 930 meters at 8.1 percent in average. It has a maximum grade of 18. Unfortunately, the climb is surrounded by trees, so it doesn't look so impressive on TV, and recently it hasn't even been shown. Østengård is reached today with around 50 kilometers to go.
They showed it last year, I remember.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of great small climbs around Vejle and Horsens and further north in Søhøjlandet, that is seldom/never being used in Post Danmark Rundt; Lyngebakken, Purhøj, Hvolbæk, Jelshøj, Javngyden and Kollens Møllevej just to name a few.
Today, the the route goes north (instead of south) towards vejle meaning that we will be missing a big part of the great hilly terrain of Søhøjlandet as the field heads straight to the ITT in Randers after today's queen stage.