• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 173 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently the Dutch champs course isn't the only one that's rather wet. This is the British one.

FmYeA_bX0AYX1MV

German champs are in Munich this weekend at the Olympic park so it'll probably be Marcel Meisen trying to keep his title and go for his 8th and Elisabeth Brandau trying to take her 7th. Women u23 start 2 mins later so depending which category Judith Krahl starts in, she she maybe challenged.

I bring the german champs up because the Olympic park has had the Supercross in past seasons and last year the European XC champs were there. Having watched the Supercross on a Facebook stream last season and the xc, I'd say it'd be a good location to have a (CX) world cup course.
The Olympic park has been used before for the cross world champs, there is a short clip on you tube, home winner Taler.

The Dutch nationals course this morning. Extreme levels of water expected in the river this weekend. The organizers have taken a huge gamble by organizing a race outside of the dikes in January, and I think it's going to backfire.

FmarZMrXoAE5Z-q
I know this is the Waal, but it's not surprising considering how full the Lek was when riding by it yesterday.

I just spent an hour cleaning my bike after 20 mins of road riding in the rain yesterday. CX looks like a blast but I just don’t think I have it in me to embrace conditions like that.
This might clean the bike or at least tyres for you though!

Juniors in Belgium will start in an hour and a bit, live on Sporza. I reckon it'll be Yordi Corsus against the field, mainly looking at Seppe Van den Boer, Wies Nuyens (not related to Nick), Viktor Vandenberghe, Antoine Jamin and Robbe Marchand. It's been raining in Belgium heavily too and the race includes crossing a floating pontoon.

Juniors in Belgium will start in an hour and a bit, live on Sporza. I reckon it'll be Yordi Corsus against the field, mainly looking at Seppe Van den Boer, Wies Nuyens (not related to Nick), Viktor Vandenberghe, Antoine Jamin and Robbe Marchand. It's been raining in Belgium heavily too and the race includes crossing a floating pontoon.
Looking at the results Corsus had a dnf and Vandenberghe and Fleur Moors have won.

Verdonshot out of Belgian champs through illness, pity would ha e been three way scap.

Last edited:
Yes, and probably not great racing.....but we'll see plenty of comments along the lines of " proper CX conditions...." What does that even mean? It's absolute nonsense.

I wish they'd pick venues which aren't parks or showgrounds......
It's an easy option with hardstanding and facilities available.
Rule around having tarmac start and finish also has a big impact.
I remember British champs in Sutton Park where they all lined up on the grass motocross style.
Hammond took the title.

The course even made the regular news broadcast today in the Netherlands, in a report about flooding in the area :)

(the reporter called it the 'national cycling championships', rather than cyclocross, just to illustrate how much the Dutch general public knows about the sport. Such a thing would never happen in Belgium)

Latest posts