• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good races yesterday. Even though Brand rode away, I wouild never say it was over until the final, especially with the fluctuating time gaps between Alvarado, Backstedt, Schreiber, and Casasola. What did happen to Casasola in that last lap? Mens was good too. That bad sand section by Nys definitely changed the outcome massively. The Adams and Wyseure had very similar times to Iserbyt and Ronhaar the next lap and were quicker than Kamp, Adams, Wyseure were all much quicker on the final round than Nys and Iserbyt. A final lap with 2 from Baloise, 2 from the Sauces, 2 from Crelan, and Adams coming into the sand and then lumpy section could have played completely differently.

I'd want to see Thibau Nys elaborate on his comments before the race where he said the belgian races could learn a thing or two from this Dublin race. Was he just being polite to the hosts or are there areas in the course layout and general organisation that were better than something more local to him?
Agree, fantastic races! Men's in particular was a real treat and I almost thought Sweek had it when he passed Ronhaar on that last lap. In the absence of Van der Poel and Van Aert this was an amazing show.

I think Adams and Weysure were really on their limits. They shouldn't have let Nys pass them before the sand but I know the feeling when you're way into red. Things just happen and it's very hard to respond.

Ronhaar's ride was really impressive. He actually managed to break Iserbyt who I generally would think has an advantage on Ronhaar. Sweek showed experience, skill and power and he and Ronhaar performed almost flawlessly throughout the race.

Finally the Dublin race course is very good when muddy. Quite tricky with very slick sections (remember Van Aert's 360 slide out last year). To me it doesn't look that different to many of the Belgian courses but maybe because almost all of the sections were rideable is the reason why Nys liked it?

Agree, fantastic races! Men's in particular was a real treat and I almost thought Sweek had it when he passed Ronhaar on that last lap. In the absence of Van der Poel and Van Aert this was an amazing show.

I think Adams and Weysure were really on their limits. They shouldn't have let Nys pass them before the sand but I know the feeling when you're way into red. Things just happen and it's very hard to respond.

Ronhaar's ride was really impressive. He actually managed to break Iserbyt who I generally would think has an advantage on Ronhaar. Sweek showed experience, skill and power and he and Ronhaar performed almost flawlessly throughout the race.

Finally the Dublin race course is very good when muddy. Quite tricky with very slick sections (remember Van Aert's 360 slide out last year). To me it doesn't look that different to many of the Belgian courses but maybe because almost all of the sections were rideable is the reason why Nys liked it?
Nys was probably just being polite. But the course is a good one. Shame they can’t make one like that in the UK.

The race was great. Iserbyt did well backing up from the day before, which probably proved costly at the end, especially on a muddy course. With Sweeck i think the puncture must have cost him a lot, but that doesn’t take away from Ronhaars victory, which was great to see. Was disappointed to see Mason outside the top ten though - trouble backing up or too much pressure in his home race?

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Nys was probably just being polite. But the course is a good one. Shame they can’t make one like that in the UK.

The race was great. Iserbyt did well backing up from the day before, which probably proved costly at the end, especially on a muddy course. With Sweeck i think the puncture must have cost him a lot, but that doesn’t take away from Ronhaars victory, which was great to see. Was disappointed to see Mason outside the top ten though - trouble backing up or too much pressure in his home race?
Yes, what happened? My impression of Mason is that he has strong engine and lots of endurance so he should've been doing good... did he crash or have a mechanical?

Yes, what happened? My impression of Mason is that he has strong engine and lots of endurance so he should've been doing good... did he crash or have a mechanical?

Despite the muddy conditions, the men's race in Dublin was group racing, and quite fast. He never made the front group, didn't spend long in the second group, and likely took the foot off the gas half way through the race when it was clear he wasn't moving up.

Looking closely at the velofacts link, there was an acceleration from group 2 in lap 4, and he couldn't match. Hung a bit behind for half a lap and then blew up.

Last edited:
Gwbert said:
Was disappointed to see Mason outside the top ten though - trouble backing up or too much pressure in his home race?
You'll be starting fights with that sort of comment. Can't imagine anyone would have regarded that as a home race for him.
Just an off day. I'd guess the hard race the day before plus travelling down to Kortrijk from Scotland and then back up to Dublin probably also played a part.
I believe he lives in Belgium now: he was interviewed at a race a few weeks ago and it was being spoken about as being his local event, only 5 km from home.

Reactions: Gwbert
You'll be starting fights with that sort of comment. Can't imagine anyone would have regarded that as a home race for him.

I believe he lives in Belgium now: he was interviewed at a race a few weeks ago and it was being spoken about as being his local event, only 5 km from home.
Obviously it’s not his home race, but he was asked about it during the interview and he said it was like a home race as his parents were there and people had travelled down. He also said that during warmup he heard his name at every turn which made it feel like a home race.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Looks like a great site for where did it go wrong investigations. But how did Iserbyt record those times at point 4 on two laps? He didn't really lose 40 second twice and catch it up again within 50 seconds without me noticing did he? Blind spot in the pits?
Yes, definite data quality issue there. I've looked at some other races and that sort of discrepancy doesn't seem too common.

Reactions: Armchair cyclist

He does. He's spending the winter in Boom but his Strava shows he went back for a week or so to Scotland after the Dendermonde world cup and did the an activation ride on the day before Kortrijk in Scotland.

Yes, definite data quality issue there. I've looked at some other races and that sort of discrepancy doesn't seem too common.
You mean that there are lots of discrepancies right?

I guess if the data is auto-generated and not manually checked there will be errors.

Personally I am very interested in trying to figure out where different riders are losing time. In Dublin it was quite apparent that Iserbyt really lost it on the sand section (last lap?) and that Wyuesure and Adams got caught up behind Nys, also on the sand section some laps earlier. Now I wouldn't expect them to be able to contest either Sweeck or Ronhaar that both looked very solid and strong.

people are even doing Excel files for the VDP-WVA-Pidcock races. think about it for a minute. that's a dire situation: and the OTHERS!?? everyone of the other riders should question their own sport. I'd have them racing with a big ? on the jerseys instead of sponsors. I mean wtf

people are even doing Excel files for the VDP-WVA-Pidcock races. think about it for a minute. that's a dire situation: and the OTHERS!?? everyone of the other riders should question their own sport. I'd have them racing with a big ? on the jerseys instead of sponsors. I mean wtf
The other riders own sport is fine. Cyclocross doesn't need VDP or WVA, and that's been on show multiple times this season. They don't need cyclocross either. They do it because they enjoy it, but could not do it and be completely fine, while some may even say better, at road racing.

Looking at the womens startlist for the WC in Flamanville, Van Anrooij is back, but there appears to be a lot of names missing again. No Van Empel, Pieterse, Backstedt, Van Alphen, Casasola, but Van Empel and Pieterse are down for the Superprestige on Saturday along with Van Anrooij.

Looking at the womens startlist for the WC in Flamanville, Van Anrooij is back, but there appears to be a lot of names missing again. No Van Empel, Pieterse, Backstedt, Van Alphen, Casasola, but Van Empel and Pieterse are down for the Superprestige on Saturday along with Van Anrooij.
Most of these riders don't really care about which classification it is, they just choose the most appealing race with the least amount of hassle (read: travel). The only ones who focus on the World Cups are the ones who need the prize money or the UCI points. Winning in Kortrijk got Van Empel 40 points, the same amount as Xaydee Van Sinaey who finished 20th in Dublin.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
Most of these riders don't really care about which classification it is, they just choose the most appealing race with the least amount of hassle (read: travel). The only ones who focus on the World Cups are the ones who need the prize money or the UCI points. Winning in Kortrijk got Van Empel 40 points, the same amount as Xaydee Van Sinaey who finished 20th in Dublin.
Also multi discipline riders have other commitment this time of year, Backstedt for example is on a team get-together with Canyon Scram.

So Clauzel went in to the pit and didn't change as her helper wasn't there. She got off and back on, but is she allowed to do that? Nys had that issue in Niel but dnfed so it didn't matter, but Clauzel is still riding.

Shame about Cant.
Yes, as long as you get off your bike in the pit you're allowed to keep the same one. Makes sense, otherwise if the mechanics don't have your bike ready for some reason it would mean race over.

A podium with Schreiber (20) and Bentveld (19). Van Anrooij had a really poor start but the rest of the race she rode faster than Brand. As did Cant, until the crash.

Men's race in Boom was great. Nieuwenhuis rock solid throughout albeit he kept giving some seconds on that slick run up every lap. Mason on the other hand lost time on the running sections but looked solid everywhere it was rideable. Very evenly matched with a small advantage for Joris. Great win. Once again exciting and unpredictable race.

Nys was apparently having a bad or at least volatile race. The course should have suited him?

Women's race. Van Empel is so much stronger so she can afford all sorts of technique mistakes. No one is even close when it comes to power and stamina.