• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack team

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I think you are mistaken in thinking Pereiro was a top climber in 2005.

Other then his breakaway's in stage 15, 16 and 19 (which got him a 2nd to Hincapie, a win and 4th place), he did very little in the mountains. He was finishing back with Boogerd, Philipe Gilbert... and yes Hincapie on those stages where he didn't attack early.

People see Periero's win in 2006 and think he was a top level climber. He really wasn't. He was an adequate climber (better then Hincapie for sure, but not anywhere near the Cadel Evans/Levi Leipheimer/Denis Menchov class) who got 30 minutes on a stage because he wasn't viewed as a real threat and managed to hold on (after Landis got DQ'd).

Hincapies win was no different then Gerrans' win in 2008. Egoi Martinez and Pererio are comparable when it comes to climbing ability.

i would say hincapie and pereiro are adequate climbers but not your traditional mountain goat. hincapie can motor on the flats as well as uphill. gerrans is not a climber. martinez made a big mistake not to drop him and because gerrans has a decent kick in the sprint he won. also the first climb was a long way from the prato nevoso climb. it has a big flat in it so nothing too hard. the prato nevoso climb was 8km so quite short and if it was longer gerrans was gone. gerrans is no climber.

kurtinsc said:
I think you are mistaken in thinking Pereiro was a top climber in 2005.

Other then his breakaway's in stage 15, 16 and 19 (which got him a 2nd to Hincapie, a win and 4th place), he did very little in the mountains. He was finishing back with Boogerd, Philipe Gilbert... and yes Hincapie on those stages where he didn't attack early.

People see Periero's win in 2006 and think he was a top level climber. He really wasn't. He was an adequate climber (better then Hincapie for sure, but not anywhere near the Cadel Evans/Levi Leipheimer/Denis Menchov class) who got 30 minutes on a stage because he wasn't viewed as a real threat and managed to hold on (after Landis got DQ'd).

Hincapies win was no different then Gerrans' win in 2008. Egoi Martinez and Pererio are comparable when it comes to climbing ability.

I wasn't suggesting that Pereiro was a pure climber, but to finish 4 times in the top 10 of the TDF you had better be a pretty good and consistant climber, especially as he isn't noted for his ITT ability. Gerrans best finish was 79th in 2009, so a stage win is not necessarily evidence of consistant ability in the mountains.

Pereiro's 2006 TDF victory may have been a fluke, but that doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't capable of top placings.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I wasn't suggesting that Pereiro was a pure climber, but to finish 4 times in the top 10 of the TDF you had better be a pretty good and consistant climber, especially as he isn't noted for his ITT ability. Gerrans best finish was 79th in 2009, so a stage win is not necessarily evidence of consistant ability in the mountains.

Pereiro's 2006 TDF victory may have been a fluke, but that doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't capable of top placings.

But did you look at how he got those placings?

He didn't climb with the favorites. He was allowed to attack and pick up big chunks of time because he wasn't a GC threat (or wasn't viewed as one). It's the same way LeMevel got a top 10 this year and how Nocentini got a top 15 finish. If you get chunks of time in breaks because the leaders know you can't hang with the real climbers in the big mountains, that doesn't make you a great climber.

Periero is a decent climber who attacks a lot and gets in lots of breakaways. On the Arcalis stage (the only climb where he was present in the Tour before getting hurt), Periero wasn't climbing with Contador, Armstrong, Evans and Sastre. He was back with Dave Zabriskie and Matt Lloyd. That's where he ranks in climbs where he isn't in a break.

kurtinsc said:
Explain how you ride the entire pelaton of your wheel while chatting to "some guys". Were they on motorcycles filming the race?

When you find out let me know. The juice Hincapie was using allowed him to outrun the motorbikes!

The question I most get asked on email is about he out of competition testing.

Can any one guess? How many times did Hincapie and Armstrong for that matter get tested out of competition in whilst residing in Girona Spain? I'm not talking each year but the entire lifetime they lived in Girona. Have a guess how many tests they took.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
But did you look at how he got those placings?

He didn't climb with the favorites. He was allowed to attack and pick up big chunks of time because he wasn't a GC threat (or wasn't viewed as one). It's the same way LeMevel got a top 10 this year and how Nocentini got a top 15 finish. If you get chunks of time in breaks because the leaders know you can't hang with the real climbers in the big mountains, that doesn't make you a great climber.

Periero is a decent climber who attacks a lot and gets in lots of breakaways. On the Arcalis stage (the only climb where he was present in the Tour before getting hurt), Periero wasn't climbing with Contador, Armstrong, Evans and Sastre. He was back with Dave Zabriskie and Matt Lloyd. That's where he ranks in climbs where he isn't in a break.

If you know the heads of state are going at it and you can't beat them what would your tactic be?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
If you know the heads of state are going at it and you can't beat them what would your tactic be?

If I'm going for stage wins... exactly what Periero did.

If I'm going for a good GC placing... I'd probably hang on a bit to not lose 10 minutes on a stage where I could settle for losing 5.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
When you find out let me know. The juice Hincapie was using allowed him to outrun the motorbikes!

The question I most get asked on email is about he out of competition testing.

Can any one guess? How many times did Hincapie and Armstrong for that matter get tested out of competition in whilst residing in Girona Spain? I'm not talking each year but the entire lifetime they lived in Girona. Have a guess how many tests they took.

Is it possible to open a thread in this forum without having to read your latest thoughts about doping cyclists?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Is it possible to discuss pro cycling without doping coming in at some point?
Sure. Many places have sensible cycling discussions. Just don't expect sensible on the cyclingsnews forums and you'll be okay.

thehog said:

0. They were never tested ever in Girona. Ever. No wonder they liked to prepare there.

Dec 3rd, 09. Sam Bewley, NZ’s newest pro cyclist, had been told he was on Team RadioShack’s line up for the Santos Tour Down Under, but it seems those plans have changed.

When Team Manager Johan Bruyneel announced the RadioShack team for the Santos Tour Down Under on his Facebook page today, Bewley’s name wasn’t on the list.

“To be honest I don’t know what the go is. I thought I was in the team. I guess it changed,” Bewley told RoadCycling.co.nz this morning.

The mushroom method of management
http://www.artsjournal.com/artfulmanager/main/the-downside-of-the-mushroom-m.php

lucybears said:
Dec 3rd, 09. Sam Bewley, NZ’s newest pro cyclist, had been told he was on Team RadioShack’s line up for the Santos Tour Down Under, but it seems those plans have changed.

When Team Manager Johan Bruyneel announced the RadioShack team for the Santos Tour Down Under on his Facebook page today, Bewley’s name wasn’t on the list.

“To be honest I don’t know what the go is. I thought I was in the team. I guess it changed,” Bewley told RoadCycling.co.nz this morning.

http://www.artsjournal.com/artfulmanager/main/the-downside-of-the-mushroom-m.php

He is finding out that on a team with Armstrong there are Armstrong's buddies and there is everyone else. If you are part of the "everyone else" crowd then you get screwed on a regular basis.

Someone should clue him in to collect his prize money at the end of his contract before announcing he is leaving the team.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:

From the same article:

-Bewley doesn't yet know what his new race schedule will be. He is expecting to sit down with the directors at the training camp and to come away with a draft schedule.

-"In the long run it's probably not a bad thing to be delaying the start of the season a bit. It's going to be a long one."

Doesn't seem like a big deal... if you haven't met wit team directors to make a race schedule yet, it's tough to see how you've been drastically misled about what races you're going to be in. The discussion about schedule hasn't even occurred yet.

kurtinsc said:
Doesn't seem like a big deal... if you haven't met wit team directors to make a race schedule yet, it's tough to see how you've been drastically misled about what races you're going to be in. The discussion about schedule hasn't even occurred yet.

They will sit down with him and say: "Lance is doing the Tour so just let us know what Cat 1.1 races you want to do and we'll pay 50% of your train fare to get to those races. Oh and please don't show any ambition. We really don't like that around here."

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
They will sit down with him and say: "Lance is doing the Tour so just let us know what Cat 1.1 races you want to do and we'll pay 50% of your train fare to get to those races. Oh and please don't show any ambition. We really don't like that around here."

I guess none of LA's previous teammates had ambitions - probably why they road only for him and faded into obscurity when the they no longer on the team.

kurtinsc said:
From the same article:

-Bewley doesn't yet know what his new race schedule will be. He is expecting to sit down with the directors at the training camp and to come away with a draft schedule.

-"In the long run it's probably not a bad thing to be delaying the start of the season a bit. It's going to be a long one."

Nov 10th, 09.
"I got the text today saying I am riding the Tour Down Under, it is going to be my first race as a professional. It's definitely a race I have always wanted to do. I think Lance is doing it too, so it's going to be pretty cool to race with him. I'm pretty excited for sure," he said.

To you, it doesn't seem like a big deal... but for a young rider like Sam Bewley

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
Nov 10th, 09.
"I got the text today saying I am riding the Tour Down Under, it is going to be my first race as a professional. It's definitely a race I have always wanted to do. I think Lance is doing it too, so it's going to be pretty cool to race with him. I'm pretty excited for sure," he said.

To you, it doesn't seem like a big deal... but for a young rider like Sam Bewley

I wonder if a teammate text-ed him as a hazing - it would not be unusual for athletes to play a practical joke like this one the new guy.

kurtinsc said:
From the same article:

I think it is a big deal when you are told you'll be riding and then find out on Facebook that you won't be. There is a right and wrong way to do things, and this falls into the latter category in my opinion.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think it is a big deal when you are told you'll be riding and then find out on Facebook that you won't be. There is a right and wrong way to do things, and this falls into the latter category in my opinion.

Oh well... he didn't sound very upset... or really upset in the slightest... by reading the interview. But perhaps you have more insight into the matter.

TRENDING THREADS