• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Rate the 2024 Giro d'Italia Route

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the Route

• 10 (best)

Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.1%

Votes: 13 17.6%

Votes: 26 35.1%

Votes: 19 25.7%

Votes: 9 12.2%

• 1 (worst)

• Total voters
The Livigno stage had to be changed, and now features the Mortirolo:

before:
RtKms0t.jpeg

after:
yNpZFXG.png

RCS Press Release: "Keeping Alpine passes such as the Forcola di Livigno safe would be a huge cost. For this reason, the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Mobility of Graubünden (Switzerland) didn't accept the passage of the race.

Therefore, the 15th stage of the Giro d'Italia, Manerba del Garda - Livigno, is changed as follows: after climbing the Val Camonica, the race, having passed Edolo, instead of climbing towards Aprica turns towards the Mortirolo, which is climbed from the Monno side (maximum gradients only in the last kilometres at San Giacomo around 16%). The descent will be to Grosio and the climb up Valtellina to Bormio along the old road through Cepina. Climb of the Motte to Isolaccia followed by the ascent to the Foscagno Pass (14.6 km at 6.5%). After the short descent from Ponte del Rez (just before Trepalle), the route moves to the Eira pass, where the original route returns to the asphalt road along the Mottolino."

ummm, that is a MAJOR change to the entire character of the race. UCI should not allow these types of last minute changes

Well itsn't it more or less the same stage? Stage even looks a bit harder, so dno what all the complaining is about. If they wanted Gavia, they probably would have included it at first
Sure, you may get more total desnivel+ but you go from having a bona fide HC penultimate climb that's very attackable to a 6% grinder where it's gonna be super hard to get a gap.

Now ofcourse we're gonna look at Pog and Pog can win because lol he has the one click 'i win' button this coming Giro, but these parcours changes are so big and so late it shouldn't just be handwaved away

ummm, that is a MAJOR change to the entire character of the race. UCI should not allow these types of last minute changes
The UCI can’t do anything about it - they can’t force roads to be opened, etc.

It is pretty ridiculous that they presented the initial stage, though, seemingly without ever really believing it would happen. There should be more regulations in place for race organizers when submitting routes, showing that they have approval before they do their presentation…

Sure, you may get more total desnivel+ but you go from having a bona fide HC penultimate climb that's very attackable to a 6% grinder where it's gonna be super hard to get a gap.

Now ofcourse we're gonna look at Pog and Pog can win because lol he has the one click 'i win' button this coming Giro, but these parcours changes are so big and so late it shouldn't just be handwaved away

Give Teddy 4500 m of elevation gain and he becomes slower than my grandma. Nairoman will show him how to climb then!

RCS with Italian WWII level logistics, just as usual...

Serious, they could easy have a harder side of the Mortirolo here. Either the one they did on the 2012 Stelvio stage (as much as we don't like that cursed Giro) or from Monno the recta/drittone Contador. Cause why name a side of the climb after Contador (before he even did something relevant on the climb in the 2015 Giro) only to never use it?

The 2012 side:
T20_S02_Mortirolo_alt.jpg

The Contador side:

FTc06xzWYAAI1po.jpg:large

Reactions: Sandisfan

I didnt really study the climbs that hard tbh, it just looked more or less the same to me.

Its nothing new under the sun - the only reason to watch the race is Pogacar destroying ppl. Think Contador 2011, but 2x, and Im looking forward to that regardless of the change and RCS being a bunch of complete morons

if Zomengan got fired for the Crostis debacle then surely Vengi should be fired for this

this race is going to be a travesty. i was looking at the route again the other day and i threw up in my mouth. and now the only good thing about it is changed. horrible.

if Zomengan got fired for the Crostis debacle then surely Vengi should be fired for this

this race is going to be a travesty. i was looking at the route again the other day and i threw up in my mouth. and now the only good thing about it is changed. horrible.
Hey now. There's one thing left.

All we're waiting for is "dangerous Monte Grappa descent taken out. What were we thinking going down not once, but twice. Make it unipuerto MTF instead.

Reactions: zlev11
Lmao, I was actually even excited for a second reading they added the Moritrolo to that stage. The original one with the 2012 side added before Forcola di Livigno would have made this a proper queen stage. But instead this...honestly it's amost starting to get funny.

Just for the fun of it, here are the updated average gradients of the "main climbs" of every stage that a generous person might call a mountain stage. Not that this gives a complete picture or anything, but still, baffling.
Stage 2: 6.2% (Oropa)
Stage 7: 7.0% (Prati di Tivo)
Stage 10: 5.6% (Bocca della Selva)
Stage 15: 6.4% (Passo di Foscagno)
Stage 16: 5.4% (Passo Pinei)
Stage 17: 6.4% (Passo Brocon)
Stage 19: 5.4% (Cima Sappada)
Stage 20: 8.1% (Monte Grappa)

As I said, it's not like average gradients give you a complete picture, but it's honestly not like there are many killer ramps hiding in any of those climbs. Most of these climbs really are as shallow as these numbers make it sound. I just cannot understand how any race organizers could think this is acceptable for a 21st century GT.

Latest posts