• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider nicknames

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Spartacus is not an icon of freedom. That's fiction history. It's just the only part of history most people know. The historical Spartacus can't be an icon of freedom. It's fiction.

We know almost nothing about Spartacus as a man.

But the term "icon" is not a historical one in the first place, it's a cultural one. And in modern culture Spartacus is indeed an icon of freedom. He represents risking everything for freedom, fighting oppression, taking on overwhelming odds. You may whine that the real Spartacus was probably just as bad as his oppressors, although personally I disagree because I don't think you can ever put the slaver and the enslaved on the same moral level. But either way it's not relevant. Spartacus, in our culture, represents a host of postive attributes.

You could make a case that really Toussaint L'Ouverture should be the cultural icon associated with slave revolts against oppression. After all, nearly uniquely, the revolt he led actually succeeded.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
history lessons on cn forum are priceless.

Don't whine, it's still on topic.

Sort of ish :p

Zinoviev Letter said:
We know almost nothing about Spartacus as a man.

But the term "icon" is not a historical one in the first place, it's a cultural one. And in modern culture Spartacus is indeed an icon of freedom. He represents risking everything for freedom, fighting oppression, taking on overwhelming odds. You may whine that the real Spartacus was probably just as bad as his oppressors, although personally I disagree because I don't think you can ever put the slaver and the enslaved on the same moral level. But either way it's not relevant. Spartacus, in our culture, represents a host of postive attributes.

You could make a case that really Toussaint L'Ouverture should be the cultural icon associated with slave revolts against oppression. After all, nearly uniquely, the revolt he led actually succeeded.

We know enough of Spartacus to know he wasn't against slavery. And it's pretty ironic that someone that is FOR slavery is an icon of freedom. As someone wise once said "two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the first one." Well, the overwhelming odds against Spartacus are true, but that doesn't fit Cancellara anyway. That's what matters to me. I wouldn't like to be called Spartacus and don't think it's a fitting nickname for Cancellara at all. Cancellara doesn't have anything to do with freedom anyway(and neither did the flag on his jersey this year xD)

If you want an icon of strength there are better options than Spartacus. Spartacus is and remains a crappy nickname for Cancellara :p

dont know if you already said it, but:

Iban Mayo- El principe de Igorre
Félix Cardenas - El gato (cat)
Marino Lejarreta - El junco(rush plant) de Berriz... cause he was thin and tall
Igor Anton - Fuji (everybody calls him Fuji )

as for "Purito" Rodriguez,, puro means cigar, thus "purito" = little cigar :p,,, in his rookie year (ONCE), in the pre-season training camp he was riding along with the rest of the teammates and when climbing some big mountain he was all time at the front of the group increasing the pace and showing off, saying that he could climb smoking a cigar if they continued with that speed...

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And Hannibal didn't know how to use a victory. Hence why he lost the war, even after Cannae. Like I said, he knew how to get a victory, but not how to use it. Rome wasn't build for a siege during that time(or any time). It could easily have been attacked. Especially if you're being called the biggest military genius since Alexander the Great(or Pyrrhus). Even with his senate not supporting him, Hannibal could have won the war if he knew how to use a victory. He was chanceless after the Romans changed tactics yes(not going into a direct fight with him, attacking his food supplies, maintaining the support of their allies, opening up a second front in Spain and later in Africa).

And Museeuw is called lion because of the Flemish weapon shield. Not because he has to do something with a lion lol. It's the symbol of Flanders.

maybe, hannibal hadn't the knowledge we have today about the weakness of roman empire
maybe, in that time they hadn't google maps on their iphones and forum contacts all over the world to make the best decision
maybe, the road to Rome wasn't so easy (for instance: did the romans burn all the food supplies? and with everywhere romans in his back, where should he get it from then?)
maybe, he had good reasons not to marche on rome directly you are not aware of
maybe, cancellara is named after the icon spartacus and not after the historical figure? just like museeuw didn't rest all day and then attacked his opponents by sending a group of 5 females to eat them?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Matthijs said:
maybe, hannibal hadn't the knowledge we have today about the weakness of roman empire
maybe, in that time they hadn't google maps on their iphones and forum contacts all over the world to make the best decision
maybe, the road to Rome wasn't so easy (for instance: did the romans burn all the food supplies? and with everywhere romans in his back, where should he get it from then?)
maybe, he had good reasons not to marche on rome directly you are not aware of
maybe, cancellara is named after the icon spartacus and not after the historical figure? just like museeuw didn't rest all day and then attacked his opponents by sending a group of 5 females to eat them?

No, Hannibal was a big enough fool to think the Romans would surrender after they lost 3 battles against him.

1) Roman empire didn't exist back then.
2) Not everything was Roman around him. Roman republic wasn't keen on extending their territory too much because they're organized like a city state, so they worked with an ally system or vazal system instead. Hannibal his entire tactic revolved around breaking this system. Which epically failed.
3) He stayed in Italy with his army for years. I didn't know you could survive that long without food :eek:
4) The reason why he didn't march on Rome was because he didn't have siege equipment and not enough man. Logistics is part of being a general. And he screwed that up. Scipio succeeded into stealing Carthage's allies(and crushed Hannibal's army with the Numidian cavalry that was once supporting Carthage), Hannibal didn't succeed in stealing Rome's allies.
5) Hannibal plundered all of Italy at his own will.
A lion is the symbol of Flanders. That's why it is his nickname. Because he was a true Flandrien. Why do people think it has anything to do with a real lion? I've never seen a wild lion here.

While Cancellara is called Spartacus. And not fictionalized Spartacus :) And even if it was after an icon, what the hell does Canc have to do with freedom? :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
What the hell, you didn't say that, Maharbal did. Stop ripping off dead Carthaginian dudes.
(or, more likely, dead Roman dudes)

With that I meant I said that in an earlier post. Not that I made that quote :)

And if you can't win the war after a battle like Cannae than you really don't know how to use a victory. Romans sure as hell knew how to use their victory at Zama. If there is anyone to be an icon of strength then it's the Romans. They never gave up during that war. Just kept on going.

hrotha said:
What the hell, you didn't say that, Maharbal did. Stop ripping off dead Carthaginian dudes.
(or, more likely, dead Roman dudes)

Nice :D

El Pistolero said:
With that I meant I said that in an earlier post. Not that I made that quote :)

And if you can't win the war after a battle like Cannae than you really don't know how to use a victory. Romans sure as hell knew how to use their victory at Zama. If there is anyone to be an icon of strength then it's the Romans. They never gave up during that war. Just kept on going.

No Hannibal is the icon of strenght, not the romans.

Let me ask you this, who is an icon of strengh, the 1000 Spartans who lost the battle of THermomyplae, or the 100 000 Persians that won it?

Who is the icon of strenght. The few hundred who defended the Alamo for days, or the thousands that captured it.

The few thousand women and children who with their bare hands fought the Warsaw uprising for 2 months with no supplies, or the of Nazi tanks, Luftwafe and SS men who suppressed it by bombing the city to the ground?

Even more to the point, who is deliberatley made into the icon of strenght in the film Braveheart (admitadely historically inaccurate). The man who singlehandidly takes on the brutal english, but dies in the end, or them that kill him.

Same with Spartacus. He is an icon of strenght because he too, represents the struggle that CAN NOT be won.

Now look at Hannibal. Here is a man who crossed the Alps in the winter. Unthinkable. Unbelievable. even today that is looked at in awe. Moreover he did it with Elephants.

Then at Cannae, he was outnumbered greatly, whos army was on foreign soil and weak from crossing the Alpes.

He won with what is seen as the greatest act of military genius. It doesnt matter what happens later. People dont remember Zama, they dont even know how he died. What they remember is the elephants, the alps, and the greatest military victory. 1 man who accomplished it all against the odds.

This makes him the icon of strenght.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Nice :D

No Hannibal is the icon of strenght, not the romans.

Let me ask you this, who is an icon of strengh, the 1000 Spartans who lost the battle of THermomyplae, or the 100 000 Persians that won it?

Who is the icon of strenght. The few hundred who defended the Alamo for days, or the thousands that captured it.

The few thousand women and children who with their bare hands fought the Warsaw uprising for 2 months with no supplies, or the of Nazi tanks, Luftwafe and SS men who suppressed it by bombing the city to the ground?

Even more to the point, who is deliberatley made into the icon of strenght in the film Braveheart (admitadely historically inaccurate). The man who singlehandidly takes on the brutal english, but dies in the end, or them that kill him.

Same with Spartacus. He is an icon of strenght because he too, represents the struggle that CAN NOT be won.

Now look at Hannibal. Here is a man who crossed the Alps in the winter. Unthinkable. Unbelievable. even today that is looked at in awe. Moreover he did it with Elephants.

Then at Cannae, he was outnumbered greatly, whos army was on foreign soil and weak from crossing the Alpes.

He won with what is seen as the greatest act of military genius. It doesnt matter what happens later. People dont remember Zama, they dont even know how he died. What they remember is the elephants, the alps, and the greatest military victory. 1 man who accomplished it all against the odds.

This makes him the icon of strenght.

People don't remember Carthage because of Zama :p

And he did have a successful political career after he was defeated in Zama.

For me Hannibal is the greatest military tactician to have ever lived. Not such a great strategist though. Both Spartacus and Hannibal could have succeeded in their goals if they were the latter.

Ps: the republic/empire that lasted for nearly 2000 years is the icon of strength here. So, that's Rome and China. Carthage was stronger than Rome just before the Punic wars begun. Not the other way around :p

It's all about the eagle I tell ye. That's the true icon of strength!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No, Hannibal was a big enough fool to think the Romans would surrender after they lost 3 battles against him.

2) Not everything was Roman around him. Roman republic wasn't keen on extending their territory too much because they're organized like a city state, so they worked with an ally system or vazal system instead. Hannibal his entire tactic revolved around breaking this system. Which epically failed.
3) He stayed in Italy with his army for years. I didn't know you could survive that long without food :eek:
4) The reason why he didn't march on Rome was because he didn't have siege equipment and not enough man. Logistics is part of being a general. And he screwed that up. Scipio succeeded into stealing Carthage's allies(and crushed Hannibal's army with the Numidian cavalry that was once supporting Carthage), Hannibal didn't succeed in stealing Rome's allies.
A lion is the symbol of Flanders. That's why it is his nickname. Because he was a true Flandrien. Why do people think it has anything to do with a real lion? I've never seen a wild lion here.

While Cancellara is called Spartacus. And not fictionalized Spartacus :) And even if it was after an icon, what the hell does Canc have to do with freedom? :)
Cancellara was clearly named after kirk Douglas.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

So despite having not enough man and equipment, he should still make profit of his victory and take Rome. You're in argument with yourself here ;)

And Museeuw is named after a icon of stength, his 'national' symbol the Lion of Flandres, not a real lion is perfectly normal. And Cancellara, named after another icon of strength, the legendary and not so historical Spartacus, not the real one but the symbol, is very wrong???
Spartacus is a icon for freedom, but with Cancellara probably more with strength, endurance, the ability to never give up. That's how I see it fit...

Winterfold said:
Look at this way - other posters indicate a sign which says 'Spartacus fanboys this way'* but at that point we are still on track.

It is the essay 'Why Spartacus is great' which then derails the thread. But as I said as the thread is without merit, so in this case, it's OK, welcome in fact. Calling the OP a moron does the same thing and is OnT.

*Here is an example: could Spartacus beat Wiggins in a 4000m pursuit?

No it is this post which derails the thread.
El Pistolero said:
Spartacus is also not really a flattering nickname if you know your history. Beaten by an incompetent general. Killed in battle. Most of his followers crucified. xD

It changes the subject, and is asking for a responce, hence it is that post which derails the thread.

El Pistolero said:

The **** is that supposed to mean?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Matthijs said:
So despite having not enough man and equipment, he should still make profit of his victory and take Rome. You're in argument with yourself here ;)

And Museeuw is named after a icon of stength, his 'national' symbol the Lion of Flandres, not a real lion is perfectly normal. And Cancellara, named after another icon of strength, the legendary and not so historical Spartacus, not the real one but the symbol, is very wrong???
Spartacus is a icon for freedom, but with Cancellara probably more with strength, endurance, the ability to never give up. That's how I see it fit...

I never said he should march on Rome? :p

And instead of taking useless elephants he should have taken siege equipment ;)

I just don't think of strength when I hear Spartacus. Freedom? Yes.

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Fausto Coppi-Campionissimo
Eddy Merckx-Cannibal
Jacques Anquetil-Monsieur Chrono
Manuel Beltran-Triki
Alberto Contador-Pistolero
Jose Enrique Gutierrez-Buffalo

which racer did eddy his knicname? (i know the answer)

i give you an indication: he's french

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Charly Gaul - L'ange de la montagne (The angel of the mountain)

Please excuse me for not wanting to go through 18 pages, but I was wondering where the nickname "Purito" comes from?As far as I know it means "little cigar"?

/edit I just found it:

sartoris said:
Joaquín "PURITO" Rodríguez.

In Spanish: Puro=Cigar - Purito=Small Cigar.

I heard Rodríguez the other night explaining his nickname. He was training on the mountains with his teammates. He was feeling great and making everyone suffer. He passed everyone mimmicking as if he were smoking. Someone called him "Purito". It stuck.

Great underrated rider. This year he'll be fighting for himself. Let's see how his 1st Tour of France turns out.