• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 8: Station des Rousses - Morzine-Avoriaz 189km

gr215492_600.jpg

gr214545_600.jpg

and so we come to the alps. A mountain top finish at Morzine-Avoriaz. Contador surely has to be the favourite but will he attack. Verbier last year was similar, but the tour is still young. In the giro the first mountain top finish didnt feature any fireworks as the gc contenders werent willing. Will this be the same.

Moondance said:
Patriotism compells me to pick Robert Gesink. This will be the year he gets more than one pro victory :p

Let's hope so, but he will need to be better then today. As he said he suffered pretty bad.
Besides I doubt Rabo will let him attack when he brings AC and AS with him, but Menchov can't follow.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Could be a very boring stage with the expected outcome of Contador attacking and winning it easily. I hope someone can stay with him for the sake of excitement.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
OK ppl... lets start making ours predictions... I'm going with:

Winners: Cuddles time!, El Pistolero and Basso - Kreuziger (With Liquigas working hard to close some gap)
DarkHorses: Andy, Lance, Gesink or Le Mevel going heroic...

I will really like this stage... I love those finish... now we are going to see who are the real contenders! I'm going again with Liquigas, they gave today a free day so tomorrow they will be right in the front of the Peloton hammering the gap for Basso and Kreuziger...

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
And what about a certain Texan?

i really don't know. last year i was 100% sure he won't be even close to the podium, but he did it. so i'm not going to predict this year. hope he won't make the top 10 :)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
+20 at 1800 meters is cold?

3.5 hours of transit then some riding by Astana and Radioshack, then Contador wins. zzzzz

This. Also, I predict that at least two out of the following four riders will lose enough time to put them completely out of contention: Sastre, Evans, Wiggins, Menchov.

Only one Ramaz ramp, half way up.
No name goes and we'll have the long, long tempo train causing all the pain.
A sterile Shackfest not an attackfest.
Maximum minnow damage, minimum viewing entertaiment.

Same again on Tuesday.
The ASO blow.
(hope I'm totally wrong)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I predict that we won't see the kind of dominant performance from Contador that we have seen last year in Verbier, if he wins then just by a relatively small margin <20s. Second prediction: Andy Schleck is not gonna drop Cadel Evans and Ivan Basso. Third: Armstrong loses time to atleast 4 other gc favorites.

luckyboy said:
Know it won't happen, but it'd be great if Sylvain managed to hang on to yellow. Otherwise, it'd be cool if Conti attacks.

If all out war between the favorites is declared I don't think Chavanel can hang on... But if Bertie boy decides he wants to preserve his team and ride conservatively (i.e. not attack) then Chavanel does have an outside chance of clamping on, and preserving his yellow. He does have 1:30 on Evans and 2+ minutes on the likes of Contador, Schleck etc.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Sophistic said:
I predict that we won't see the kind of dominant performance from Contador that we have seen last year in Verbier, if he wins then just by a relatively small margin <20s. Second prediction: Andy Schleck is not gonna drop Cadel Evans and Ivan Basso. Third: Armstrong loses time to atleast 4 other gc favorites.
guys around here wearing astana pj's should be very worried if contador doesn't put his stamp on the race tomorrow.

Radioshwck and liquigas will be very visible late in the stage, Saxo at the base. I think Evans will be in yellow.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
surprise

i dont think conti is going to fire. i have a feeling he is nervous and not quite there in form as he was last year....the dauphine on alpe d'huez was a little concerning cause he couldnt break the slovene.

basso has been invisible till now i expect him to be up there.

reckon schleck is going to produce something......voigt was cruising today to stay with motorboy but reckon he will deliver for andy tomorrow

cadel looks like he will be up there for the stage tomorrow

1.schleck
2.conti
3.basso/cadel

i would hate to have vino as my second in command.reckon vino is out for himself

the shack look disjointed.....not many bodies around lance today. expecting lance to wilt tomorrow

hope nico roche can hang in there for a top 10

TRENDING THREADS