• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 408 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
haters are such a joy to watch. You forget how easily pog dropped vingegagrd in PN when he wasnt injured last year in fact Vingegaard has never beaten Pogacar when Pogacar didnt have a legitimate reason not to win(vingegaard in same position and circumstances wuldnt even be top 3 so stop the narrative choosing) Pogacar is the far best rider anyone thinking anything else ill put in the same section as the earth is flat category its at this point just that stupid...not a single GT or race have vingegaard outmatched pog when pog was fresh pog crushed him everytime vingegaard only won when pog wasnt able to train or beat himself vs rog and vinge, thats facts wether you like it or not.

I usually come in here to say a few things now and then and my latest reports are from Pog camp that hes stronger than last year prepare for something unique this season. The guy say pog somewhat in every test has become stronger so its really only a injury who can stop him again ofc when he rides the giro wins a 2-3 monuments again and maby loose the TDF cause riding the giro the same trolls as this ppantheer92 will still not able to see it for what it is :) (Always some ppl who ppl the earth is flat too...same ppl properly)

Have a nice week you all and i do believe Pog will win strade too with ease. Oh and also Van aert unfortunately this year too will only come second fiddle to MVDP hate or love it dont cry to the messenger. Bye.
Vingegaard was maybe not at his best in P-N. Also Pogacar wasn't during the Tour. But even if I think Pogacar has more talent than Vingegaard, I'm the more convinced Vingegaard is the better of the two in a hard three weeks race. We'll see in july. Although I fear that the Pogacar fans already have their excuses ready. After participating to the Giro, Poga won't be at his best in the Tour. But that's his choice and no excuse at all.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I understand that, i never saw a rider doing 6.58 w/kg in race during an hour on a climb. Maybe him and other top riders can do that fresh in training, but in races i never saw something like that.

"Max 20 minutes power is "5-10%" over FTP", well looking on engineer frederic portoleau calculations, he did 6.7 w/kg during almost 20 min on col marie blanque last year, 6.6 w/kg during 24 minutes on peyresourde in 2020, maybe fresh in training he can even do better, it makes sense on this perspective.
Aside from the effect of fatigue accumulated over the previous hours or weeks, most hour long climbs also finish at an altitude that really starts to bite into one's aerobic capacity, e.g. Mt Ventoux at 1910m, which should take off a few percent even for an acclimated rider. Both the climbs you quoted are high enough to have a measurable impact.

But the point being made by the leaker is that Pog is really strong already, so it's not a surprise if this number (taken at face value) is higher than you expected.

Don’t forget that FTP would be measured when doing an evenly distributed effort for the duration of the measurement (whatever time window we are talking about). In racing conditions, that is rarely the case. There are tactics, accelerations, going into red, etc. In racing conditions, FTP value in my opinion can almost never be reached…

Absolutely. Cyclists almost never do a 1-hour steady max effort on the road and those long climbs aren't done a bloc from the bottom to the top, unless they are part of a TT (i.e. Mayo's incredible MtVentoux effort), which is rarely the case. Plus, additional wattage are added due to near sea level elevation (which most labs are at) compared to higher elevations of cols.

I understand that, i never saw a rider doing 6.58 w/kg in race during an hour on a climb. Maybe him and other top riders can do that fresh in training, but in races i never saw something like that.

"Max 20 minutes power is "5-10%" over FTP", well looking on engineer frederic portoleau calculations, he did 6.7 w/kg during almost 20 min on col marie blanque last year, 6.6 w/kg during 24 minutes on peyresourde in 2020, maybe fresh in training he can even do better, it makes sense on this perspective.

Mayo's MtVentoux TT was the strongest near 1-hour climbing effort in this century. Understandably it was done during the TT when the whole climb was done optimally (instead of uneven, growing tempo by the peleton). Plus elevation effect can't be neglected. Cyclists have great engines capable of processing huge amount of oxygen - so they can profit even more from the sea level elevation (lab tests) vs mountain cols than an average Joe.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Cyclists almost never do a 1-hour steady max effort on the road and those long climbs aren't done a bloc from the bottom to the top, unless they are part of a TT (i.e. Mayo's incredible MtVentoux effort), which is rarely the case. Plus, additional wattage are added due to near sea level elevation (which most labs are at) compared to higher elevations of cols.

Mayo's MtVentoux TT was the strongest near 1-hour climbing effort in this century. Understandably it was done during the TT when the whole climb was done optimally (instead of uneven, growing tempo by the peleton). Plus elevation effect can't be neglected. Cyclists have great engines capable of processing huge amount of oxygen - so they can profit even more from the sea level elevation (lab tests) vs mountain cols than an average Joe.
It would be really nice to have such a mountain TT in the coming years in a race like the Dauphiné. Than we would have more of a clue where todays peloton stands in regards to that era, and the differences between today's top riders.

It would be really nice to have such a mountain TT in the coming years in a race like the Dauphiné. Than we would have more of a clue where todays peloton stands in regards to that era, and the differences between today's top riders.
I dream of the Ventoux one-day race to be held as an ITT. Start from Bédoin, like they used to do in Dauphiné.

With the same format as Chrono des Nations, you can have both men & women and all age groups on the same day. Could possibly even turn a dime by allowing amateurs in the morning.

On Saturday I'm not really thinking about my own result, no,” says Wellens. “The most important thing is that the victory remains within the team. The intention is to start the final with as many pawns as possible around Tadej. Pogacar remains our best chance of winning. Suppose I get to the front with a promising group, then I will certainly not participate as long as Pogacar is not connected. Tadej can come after me at any time.”

Reactions: scribers
On Saturday I'm not really thinking about my own result, no,” says Wellens. “The most important thing is that the victory remains within the team. The intention is to start the final with as many pawns as possible around Tadej. Pogacar remains our best chance of winning. Suppose I get to the front with a promising group, then I will certainly not participate as long as Pogacar is not connected. Tadej can come after me at any time.”
While I was suffering during my block training, he quickly followed me in the wheel. Joking and guffawing and making videos. In short, Tadej is on another level. I have no qualms about sacrificing myself for such a rider. Not even for a teammate, by the way. The general level within UAE Emirates is extremely high. Completing training with teammates is really impressive. The average speeds we then achieve…”

I showed you the current data from pogacar's training the other day, be prepared for more material in the future, so these Welens' words will not be a surprise to you

I gave you the current pogacar's FTP-431W, current weight 65.5 kg, calculate w/kg yourself 😉, I gave you what "Inigo san Millan famous "zone 2" means, which is 5.0-5.5 w/kg, now I'm giving you info that Pogačar trains 3 times a week on a much improved Colnago T1 bike and I can tell you that he improved on the UAE test track in Valencia at 30 km compared to last year by 45 seconds (Remco, fisherman watch out), in short Pogačar 2024 is fear and trembling for everyone, it is still questionable how he will solve the problem with the heat on the Tour, that is still being worked on, the new coach Sola and the best expert in that field (his name is kept secret) will be at the altitude training after the Giro and will try to implement new techniques in training for the Tour, stay well everyone, pozz

I gave you the current pogacar's FTP-431W, current weight 65.5 kg, calculate w/kg yourself 😉, I gave you what "Inigo san Millan famous "zone 2" means, which is 5.0-5.5 w/kg, now I'm giving you info that Pogačar trains 3 times a week on a much improved Colnago T1 bike and I can tell you that he improved on the UAE test track in Valencia at 30 km compared to last year by 45 seconds (Remco, fisherman watch out), in short Pogačar 2024 is fear and trembling for everyone, it is still questionable how he will solve the problem with the heat on the Tour, that is still being worked on, the new coach Sola and the best expert in that field (his name is kept secret) will be at the altitude training after the Giro and will try to implement new techniques in training for the Tour, stay well everyone, pozz
The more pressing issue UAE should be trying to solve is finding DS's with an ounce of racecraft and tactics knowledge.

Ok Mourinho, i think vingegaard should not even go to the Tour, he will not have a chance.

If Pogi thought he was good enough to win the Tour, he wouldn't ride the Giro. It's not like the latter better fits his calendar, rather the opposite, so it's quite telling.
Pogi wants to win everything. He won the tour two years in a row. Of course he tried a third time but he lost to Vinge. So he wanted revenge, that was last year, but lost again.
So now it's time to win the Giro. Last year he won a few one day races, so don't have to do them this year.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Tell me how I'm wrong.

Had Pogi gone to the Giro as the defending Tour champion, I could easily see that result from an appetite for the Corsa Rosa, but after going home hungry twice from the Tour, it's clear that he needs a GT win on his plate (even if the lesser one will have to do).
Pogi wants to win everything. He won the tour two years in a row. Of course he tried a third time but he lost to Vinge. So he wanted revenge, that was last year, but lost again.
So now it's time to win the Giro. Last year he won a few one day races, so don't have to do them this year.
This tracks with him not thinking that he is likely to beat Vingegaard.

Last edited:
Reactions: joseph89

Latest posts