• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 590 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Five stage wins (at least).
Has a GC rider ever done that in Modern Cycling?
This guy :grin:

OB-ZE681_1007la_M_20131007135648.jpg

Its already Robo-Basso partying like its 2006. Basso seemed more ridicolous at some points though, I think mainly because he was up against better competition, primarily Simoni who was on slight decline, but still was a beast in the high mountains.

Simoni was past his best that year, he actually lost to Gutierrez Catalunya (who was the 2nd guy over 9 minutes back). I remember Basso also had a great TT but lost to Ullrich, similarly to Pogacar losing the second (flatter TT) to Ganna. Crushing Simoni in the mountains was still more impressive due to Gibo's aura at the Giro.

Simoni was past his best that year, he actually lost to Gutierrez Catalunya (who was the 2nd guy over 9 minutes back). I remember Basso also had a great TT but lost to Ullrich, similarly to Pogacar losing the second (flatter TT) to Ganna. Crushing Simoni in the mountains was still more impressive.
Imagine a stage with Gavia, Mortirolo and Aprica. You probably get Thomas and friends doing like Paren Peintre pace and dropping 6 minutes on Mortirolo + Aprica

Has to be one of the most dominant GT-wins there has been if it goes like this.
As we thought it would be...but that said, I didn't realize just HOW much better he was than the field. Only Martinez seems to be able to hang with him at this point, and only just.

This must have been how it was when Merckx was in full song.

What's crazy to realize is that no matter how good Pog looks now in the Giro, he was humbled twice in the Tour by Vingegaard.

As we thought it would be...but that said, I didn't realize just HOW much better he was than the field. Only Martinez seems to be able to hang with him at this point, and only just.

What's crazy to realize is that no matter how good Pog looks now in the Giro, he was humbled twice in the Tour by Vingegaard.
I'm pretty sure peak Jonas would play with this competition in the same way Poggi has.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya

Skeletor is the reason why Teddy is so popular nowadays. Two TdF defeats and the famous "I'm gone, I'm dead" did wonders. He was nowhere near as popular in 2021 for example. If the Dane is not ready this year then Pogi's popularity may take a dive after his Tour win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Skeletor is the reason why Teddy is so popular nowadays. Two TdF defeats and the famous "I'm gone, I'm dead" did wonders. He was nowhere near as popular in 2021 for example. If the Dane is not ready this year then Pogi's popularity may take a dive after his Tour win.
While finally more than 4 fans along the roadside will cheer for Skeletor at the Tour next year.