• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 591 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, but I'd guess the commentator said for the Giro, and it's true for that.

Back then they had a nice 282 km mountain stage:
x9pK84R.jpeg

(and the next day they had to alter the route as they couldn't descend Stelvio)
There were bicycles in the XVIII century?

Btw, back 70 years ago that 1954 Giro was won in the first week with the OG L'Aquila breakaway. On stage 6 Carlo Clerici went from being +19'39" in GC to lead the race by 13'43" (he took more than half an hour on Koblet that day, and won the Giro by 24'16").

The Pereiro of the Giro. Sometimes, it confuses me that he had time to win in the Bartali/Coppi era where Fiorenzo Magni also squeezed in three GC wins (okay, I know Bartali was done by 1954 but still).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Google it. 1998 Tdf stage 15. 🙂. I am sure you will find it in YouTube.
My word. Thanks for the history.

Back when real men rode bikes, using nothing but EPO and non aero bikes and wheels with wide handlebars, attacking the alpine descents in the pissing rain and freezing cold with no helmets?!?, rim brakes and the equivilent of a garbage bag to keep warm.

Insane! o_O:eek::flushed::tearsofjoy:

May 10, 2024
Visit site
Now that Teddy is on the verge of winning his second GT on the first try, is there anyone out there that did it (besides
Eddy who won his first Tour and Vuelta, but only his 2nd Giro)?

Now that Teddy is on the verge of winning his second GT on the first try, is there anyone out there that did it (besides
Eddy who won his first Tour and Vuelta, but only his 2nd Giro)?

Hinault did it. His worst GT result was 2nd.

But that must be it since Merckx didn't do it. Anquetil, Gimondi, Nibali, Contador and Froome certainly didn't do it, and that's all the riders who won all the Grand Tours.

Reactions: pihi42
"He can't handle the high altitude". Sometimes I don't know if we are talking about Pogacar or if we are talking about Valverde
It is noteworthy that Pogacar's nemesis mountain Col de la Loze tops out at 2,304 metres. Yesterday he crushed everyone with ease climbing to 2,385 metres. But this is "not that high" according to some here :rolleyes: . Does anyone now seriously believe that Pogacar would have suffered had the weather not intervened and cut Stelvio from tomorrow?

Pretty sure, if they were riding this race, that Felix Gall and Simon Yates (who finished 2nd and 3rd behind Vingegaard on the '23 TdF Loze stage) would have met a similar fate as Thomas and Martinez yesterday.

Last edited:
It is noteworthy that Pogacar's nemesis mountain Col de la Loze tops out at 2,304 metres. Yesterday he crushed everyone with ease climbing to 2,385 metres. But this is "not that high" according to some here :rolleyes: . Does anyone now seriously believe that Pogacar would have suffered had the weather not intervened and cut Stelvio from tomorrow?

Pretty sure if they were riding this race that Felix Gall and Simon Yates (who finished 2nd and 3rd behind Vingegaard on the '23 TdF Loze stage) would have met a similar fate as Thomas and Martinez yesterday.
Pogacar lost time on the final steep section, clearly he can't do it above 2200m.

To be serious, there is more to altitude then just finish altitude, and I think effects get bigger the more intense the effort is and the less you go back to low altitude in the valley.

Reactions: Cookster15

Latest posts