• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 596 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are people expecting him to be better here or at the Tour this year? If he is really doing all Zone 2 with a couple intervals like everyone is saying then we should expect an even stronger version at the Tour. But if he loses steam and struggles it will somehow be the same Z2 folks saying it was inevitable.

There were some jokes involved but today's difference was striking: he was basically in upright position, looked completely effortess as if he didn't want to gap the rest but still did it.

And no, I don't believe Giro "training" will make his stronger - it's the opposite. While I believe he will start the Tour in a very good form to me the big question is: will he keep his form till the end of the Tour? I have doubts.

Are people expecting him to be better here or at the Tour this year? If he is really doing all Zone 2 with a couple intervals like everyone is saying then we should expect an even stronger version at the Tour. But if he loses steam and struggles it will somehow be the same Z2 folks saying it was inevitable.
He won’t be as good for the full 3 weeks of the Tour as he is here.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
We shall see,kuss looked great in vuelta last year.maybe we are coming into era,where double is gonna be bets preparation for GTs.But you gotta be maniac.

Kuss is a weird guy. He looks like an amateur compared to Pog in March, he needs GTs to ride himself into form.
OTOH we have Pogacar, who's been crushing his rivals since early spring, no steady peak building, no form reset period, no nothing. How he's gonna keep his best till the end of the Tour? I have on idea.

Kuss is a weird guy. He looks like an amateur compared to Pog in March, he needs GTs to ride himself into form.
OTOH we have Pogacar, who's been crushing his rivals since early spring, no steady peak building, no form reset period, no nothing. How he's gonna keep his best till the end of the Tour? I have on idea.
Who says Pogi as at his best now?

Who says Pogi as at his best now?

I get what you mean, he might still be a little off his absolute peak but he must be very close to it - the style of his wins and his slim physique suggest it. He's been flying since early March (being already thinner than usually at that time) and, unlike in previous years, he had no post Liege break this time. I don't know how they can control it - with training and racing one usually approaches his peak and IMO already in Liege he almost reached it (according to his own words "that he could be a little better but not much").

Even if he's not at his peak yet then fatigue factor from the Giro can hamper further progress.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
IMO Pog is gonna crush tour on a insane level and his absolute peak will be in france.i think,that pogacar finally realized,that you cant be both classics guy and than do tour against jonas.Advancement in training and nutrition makes this possible,but you gotta be insanelly precise.basically you live in lab.training and recovery needs to be determined to a cellular level.everything needs to be monitored and here sola comes to play.san milan is very smart guy,his logic about z2 is mostly correct,but he probaly isnot optimal trainer.he works best as team doctor responsible for long term gains.but we will see.

Better at the Tour. It’s his big goal and what he’s trying to peak for. Now whether that’s better than last year is up for debate but he’s looked great this year.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think he'll be better in the sense that his level right now isn't what he showed at times during the Tour last year. He just looks better cause nobody here even bothers to try to follow him and instead prefer to sit on a domestique or like the 5th best climber in an already weak Giro field. A little too much emphasis on "looking easy" putting 14 seconds into Dani Martinez to me. Especially when the weather suited him perfectly the last 2 stages.

Reactions: Froome
I think he'll be better in the sense that his level right now isn't what he showed at times during the Tour last year. He just looks better cause nobody here even bothers to try to follow him and instead prefer to sit on a domestique or like the 5th best climber in an already weak Giro field. A little too much emphasis on "looking easy" putting 14 seconds into Dani Martinez to me. Especially when the weather suited him perfectly the last 2 stages.

I think he reached the level comparable to last year's Tour. He might have an even better level in store this year but then again the Giro is far from optimal Tour training.

Pog level right now is better than in tour last year,but there is nobody to push him.His raid on stage 15 is argubly his best performance ever,considering the elevation and how fresh,he looked after stage.There is no denying pog took step forward and he can hold high tempo for longer than in tour last year.His breathing is very telling.Only real question is,how much damage he can recover after giro and how quickly he can get back for optimal training.Now there is question of heat off course,but even there he should be better,as he ages.Pog comes from cold part of slovenia,lol.

IMO Pog is gonna crush tour on a insane level and his absolute peak will be in france.i think,that pogacar finally realized,that you cant be both classics guy and than do tour against jonas.Advancement in training and nutrition makes this possible,but you gotta be insanelly precise.basically you live in lab.training and recovery needs to be determined to a cellular level.everything needs to be monitored and here sola comes to play.san milan is very smart guy,his logic about z2 is mostly correct,but he probaly isnot optimal trainer.he works best as team doctor responsible for long term gains.but we will see.

If the forum prophet Mou is right then the whole Giro (except a few minutes here and there) is Z2 for Teddy, who will show his true level at the Tour.

There is no one in the GC field strong enough to push Pogacar, but today and some of the other mountain stages made clear that nobody is particularly interested in doing so. They are racing cagily, and responding to Pogacar as if he is some breakaway rider long out of it on GC (ie: responding not at all). None of the leaders behind Pog seemed to go particularly deep, besides O'Connor who was dropped quite early, but only lost 40 seconds because those in front were not racing full out, but marking each other..

Reactions: SHAD0W93
There is no one in the GC field strong enough to push Pogacar, but today and some of the other mountain stages made clear that nobody is particularly interested in doing so. They are racing cagily, and responding to Pogacar as if he is some breakaway rider long out of it on GC (ie: responding not at all). None of the leaders behind Pog seemed to go particularly deep, besides O'Connor who was dropped quite early, but only lost 40 seconds because those in front were not racing full out, but marking each other..
That reads as if Pog was making an effort while they were taking it easy. But anyone who saw the transition from Pog frontal scene to them in today’s broadcast knows it’s the other way around…

That reads as if Pog was making an effort while they were taking it easy. But anyone who saw the transition from Pog frontal scene to them in today’s broadcast knows it’s the other way around…
I think that was the case when Pogacar first rode away but that group soon settled in and rode their own race, and none seemed particularly close the limit in the last 2km.

I also don't equate affect with effort.

Pogacar has a very specific riding style when he produces a hard effort. Bent above his bike, swinging a bit. Today's acceleration was opposite to it, he easily had another gear left.

Reactions: bNator
I disagree.Which cyclist will blow himself up in order to follow Pog/anyone else.Ben tried it and paid the price.Martinez looked dead after yesterday stage and today looked weak.G is dead.Its a myth,they are saving themselves.thye are at their limit.Even ganna pushed himself to his limit in ITT,while Pog was saving himslef in last part.Only one saving himself is pog.

Pogacar has a very specific riding style when he produces a hard effort. Bent above his bike, swinging a bit. Today's acceleration was opposite to it, he easily had another gear left.
There's a difference between not going hard, and going hard but being in control of your effort, and then there's not being in control of your effort.

Pogacar has the style where he looks really easy while being at or above threshold for a while.

Compare Foscagno vs the final of Mottolino.

Reactions: pablohidalgo7
There's a difference between not going hard, and going hard but being in control of your effort, and then there's not being in control of your effort.

Pogacar has the style where he looks really easy while being at or above threshold for a while.

Compare Foscagno vs the final of Mottolino.

Mottolino was a wall at the end, riders always look like making harder efforts on such gradients. But even on Foscagno Pog looked much more engaged than today in a steep finale.

Crushing his rivals since spring without going deep. Only on March 2 at Strade Bianchi and April at LBL did Pogacar go deep on long range attacks. This Giro on Oropa it was clear he wasn't stressed and simply stretched his legs to pull 30 secs at the finish. On the TT he conserved himself on the flat then demolished the climb.

As someone who has grown to become a Pogacar fan I am more optimistic about his Tour prospects based upon what we are seeing. He is showing zero signs of stress or fatigue and, if anything, seems to be getting better as this Giro proceeds. In fact he is looking ominously "Mouish" ;)

With the weak field and lack of climbing this Giro I'd be surprised if Pog fades in the 3rd week of the Tour - but I am not saying it won't happen. Also remember whilst picking and choosing when to attack this season, he has been quite restrained with his buildup and racing compared with the last two years.

Its been 26 years since Pantani won the double. Pog looks way better now than any other contender has in those intervening years - including both Contador and Froome.

Latest posts