• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 241 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In my efforts to substantiate Tadej Pogačar's integrity in the 2024 Tour de France, I have meticulously examined official statements from race organizers and anti-doping agencies. Despite this, I have been unable to locate records of his independent testing. Could you provide information on the frequency of Tadej's tests? His performance this year has been exceptional.
After every stage, the stage winner and yellow jersey are tested. But don’t get your hopes too high that this proofs anything.

Reactions: Pannenkooky
So I spent 15 minutes digging up the heart medication stuff from the podcast, and I found a class of drugs known as PDE inhibitors ... it's a wild field with dozens of different drugs, but there's definitely a few out there that would have effects on heart contractility and so forth. All of them have the side effects of causing heart failure sometimes.

Makes me think of Nathan van Hooydonck last year.

Other cyclists with heart problems the last few years (including deaths):
Michael Rogers, Johan Vansummeren, Gianni Meersman, Daan Myngheer, Gijs Verdick, Will Walker
Colbrelli was a heart issue as well.

Reactions: ManicJack
MvdP is a great example of a rider who dominated as a junior, and he did it even though he was so focused on CX that he had to opt for crap teams on the road that were willing to accommodate his CX racing schedule until he got too good for the top teams to pass up on. I'd rank him clearly above Pogacar as a junior, especially considering his dual focus at the time, although obviously a completely different type of rider. His Amstel miracle win in 2019 riding for effing Corendon, by the way, is Plateau de Beille levels of legendary.

Speaking of CX talents, Pidcock was magical as a junior too.

Reactions: Stablo
Jul 16, 2024
Visit site
Then maybe we just have to agree that Junior results are a limited indicator of “natural” talent. Although I disagree that it was a weak year, quite good names in there (Arensmann, Mäder, Gall, Vlasov, Hirschi, …)

Just look at the best riders right now.
Vingegaard - was *** as Junior
Roglic - was a ski jumper as Junior
Remco - we have discussed this, obviously a great Junior

But if you think, Pogacar didn’t stand out at all, I would still be interested who you think did? Remco. Hirschi in the classics. Bernal maybe in the GCs (although success rather inly came at 20).

And also - I think not even for Merckx himself, anyone would have predicted a Merckx-like career in 1964 or 1965 ;)

Yes but Pogacar is not only better than the cyclists you mention, except Vinegaard, he demolishes them so bad they look like amateurs.

If he was indeed as talented as his performance he would make the other juniors look like they stand still.

It's not like we are arguing over someone winning a couple of stages or a GT here, he is arguably the best cyclist of all time in almost all terrain beating another very suspect wonder like it was nothing and he is barely tired afterwards.

Now of course people develop differently but you know they can also start to dope earlier, being a talent as a junior could be the same as being a dope from an early age. Iv'e had dubious acquaintances who got on the roids around 16 at the gym with no intentions of making a career out of it.

Anyway fact remains, Pogacar is one of the most dominant cyclists of all time(on that we can all agree?). The question is why and how. The weirdest thing for me is that I am very certain he wasn't even close to his limit at the Tour(and of course not the Giro). We are talking humongous degrees of separation from the next best rider, granted Vingegaard was clearly affected by his crash, and Vingegaard himself is highly suspect to say the least.

Last edited:
But if you think, Pogacar didn’t stand out at all, I would still be interested who you think did?
I was wrong about it being not being a pretty talented year, but not every year has a generational talent (per definition). Remco was doing the kind of stuff you'd expect of a generational talent - if you assume that talent shows during the juniors, which I'm not sure about, to be fair.

Reactions: ppanther92
What the hell is happening in the other part of the forum where now Lance Armstrong is a legend? Is the other part of the forum now a parallel universe?

According to David Chalmers, when you get high enough, everything, even if it is is totally artificial, is a real reality, that we don't get lost in, but that can substitute for real reality. Add on top of that the decision to interpret modal logic ontically, you can be assured, it somehow is a parallel universe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froome
Eh, I feel like you cant say one is more "clean" than the other on matters like this. Definitely not saying things like "acceptable", if you are to be able to have any sort of credibility in accusations and stance on it. You cant pick just one team. Thats disingenuous.

Like we dont know exactly what they are doing or what they have done. What any team is doing. The consequences that riders may suffer from later. Both psychically and mentally.

Gianetti has his own story. We dont need to go more into detail about that.

Sky aint definitely no angels or more "good" than the above. There is a whole story unravelling there.
Comparing Sky and their hilarity to the incredible degree of blatant cheating that Gianetti has been directly guilty of, or influencing through team leadership, does not make a lot of sense.

Regardless of how you feel about Sky/Ineos, Gianetti and Matxin's legendary tales of corruption are much worse. They should not be involved in bike racing.

And why can't you pick teams that stand out? Isn't that one of the reasons people pick on the vlab laboratory experiments? Or people wonder about how S/QS used to be such a unbeatable classics team?

So I spent 15 minutes digging up the heart medication stuff from the podcast, and I found a class of drugs known as PDE inhibitors ... it's a wild field with dozens of different drugs, but there's definitely a few out there that would have effects on heart contractility and so forth. All of them have the side effects of causing heart failure sometimes.

Michael Rogers, Johan Vansummeren, Gianni Meersman, Daan Myngheer, Gijs Verdick, Will Walker
Vaccine.
Moderna was the worst for causing heart damage and was most popular in Europe.

MvdP is a great example of a rider who dominated as a junior, and he did it even though he was so focused on CX that he had to opt for crap teams on the road that were willing to accommodate his CX racing schedule until he got too good for the top teams to pass up on. I'd rank him clearly above Pogacar as a junior, especially considering his dual focus at the time, although obviously a completely different type of rider. His Amstel miracle win in 2019 riding for effing Corendon, by the way, is Plateau de Beille levels of legendary.

Speaking of CX talents, Pidcock was magical as a junior too.
Hasn't MVDP been on the same team, with different title sponsors, for his whole career?

As for Amstel, surely a miraculous win, although a half dozen other riders closed the same gap that he did while Alaphilippe and Fuglsang dicked around.

you have no idea what you're wishing. IMAGINE the speed Pogacar would have climbed if Vingo held on to his wheel for 4-5 more kms on Beille or Isola and Pog actually had to go over his limits and fall to the ground gasping for air after the finish line
True that lol. Maybe then someone would have blown the whistle. After this years sh*t show, it would have been only a bit more absurd to the see the two mutants going even more faster 😅

What is the gain? An higher max pulse or is it in combination with GH as grow your heart and still make Tyson a stable pulse? Or is it to maintain a steady low pulse during rest?

Hasn't MVDP been on the same team, with different title sponsors, for his whole career?

As for Amstel, surely a miraculous win, although a half dozen other riders closed the same gap that he did while Alaphilippe and Fuglsang dicked around.
He pulled them all, though, and still won the sprint.. Yeah, Alaf and Fugl messed around but if you saw it live it was still incredible.

Was Pogačar sandbagging in the Giro, or had the proper rocket fuel not arrived yet?

View: https://x.com/NaichacaCycling/status/1816438788110930383
Of course his numbers would improve from when he was only 21, cyclists peak in their late 20s! He didn't improve for almost four years after that because his trainers sucked and his bike was too heavy! Peaking for the Tour was always the plan this year, he used the Giro to get in shape! I easily achieved a 7% increase in two months when I started exercising. It's completely normal! His porridge has freeze-dried pineapple in it now! Performance levels naturally trend upwards all the time, you'd expect riders to go faster! We're in the most advanced era of sports science ever! It's just an increase of 30W, which is nothing. Roglic's Bora X Bo steam oven can put out over 200 times more!

Last edited: