• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hmmm,
  • WvA TT'ing super strong and having sustained power for a long sprint, ok. Climbing with the best climbers and beating some of them? Not really buying it (at least lose the sprint power ;) )
  • MvdP alien accelerations and ability to recover (and his technique in cx and mtb), ok. His ability to now sustain over long distances, essentially TT, and sustain those 5 second accelerations for minutes? Not buying it. At least pick which kind of alien you are, ATP/instant acceleration, anaerobic, aerobic ...
  • TP nukes the other climbers, breaking climbing records all over the place, recovering instantly, having an incredibly suspect entourage, and not too far off the absolute worlds best in a dead flat TT (with perhaps one of the least aero positions)? Not even close to buying it.
And there you have. Posting in this thread because winner winner chicken dinner - TP is not just alien ... I don' really know what I am seeing.

Reactions: F_Cance
Yup. Funny stuff. Of course, in the general forum folks will make comparisons to how good someone curently is and compare that to some sort of doped up performance from the late 90's or early 2000's, and not see the irony.

I think they see the irony. They just aren't allowed to openly speak about doping there. They don't see a point in coming here, but that doesn't mean they are all naive.

Formolo did an insane ride today too. Saunier Duval is back.
I don't want to defend the whole team too much, but that's what Formolo does, he can ride hard for a long time. Pretty much all of his wins have come after a long solo attack and he has finished 2nd in both Strade Bianche and LBL before.
If he starts pulling Kuss/Porte level performances as a climbing superdomestique I'll call bs, but this kind of performance on hilly terrain is pretty much in line with his most impressive performances (long solo attacks and hard, hilly one day races).

Reactions: F_Cance
Hmmm,
  • WvA TT'ing super strong and having sustained power for a long sprint, ok. Climbing with the best climbers and beating some of them? Not really buying it (at least lose the sprint power ;) )
  • MvdP alien accelerations and ability to recover (and his technique in cx and mtb), ok. His ability to now sustain over long distances, essentially TT, and sustain those 5 second accelerations for minutes? Not buying it. At least pick which kind of alien you are, ATP/instant acceleration, anaerobic, aerobic ...
  • TP nukes the other climbers, breaking climbing records all over the place, recovering instantly, having an incredibly suspect entourage, and not too far off the absolute worlds best in a dead flat TT (with perhaps one of the least aero positions)? Not even close to buying it.
And there you have. Posting in this thread because winner winner chicken dinner - TP is not just alien ... I don' really know what I am seeing.
u forgot Roglic
PR wins MTTs, TTs and one day classics and Makes Laporte & Mathews look like third rate sprinters in uphill sprints. Is the only one able to follow TP on MTTs

Reactions: Ripper
Hmmm,

Tell me Van Aert is a better stage racer than Roglic & I'll believe Pogacar is unassailable. 1 minute between Pogacar & Van Aert in Tirreno? I reckon both Roglic & Carapaz (just a hunch regarding the latter, because Ineos are total pros) will both be in the hunt for the Tour yellow jersey this summer.

Call me crazy but I believe we've entered (or re-entered?) into epic wild cycling stuff worthy of the best eras (or worst, depending upon "who" you're talking to) & the performances & drama we'll witness this summer will be the stuff of legends.

People can either enjoy the ride or complain ad-infinitum. But when Tennis, Football & other sports get such a free pass for decades, I'm kinda happy cycling is back on the menu in the world of mass sports entertainment.

Powered by whatever.

Tell me Van Aert is a better stage racer than Roglic & I'll believe Pogacar is unassailable. 1 minute between Pogacar & Van Aert in Tirreno? I reckon both Roglic & Carapaz (just a hunch regarding the latter, because Ineos are total pros) will both be in the hunt for the Tour yellow jersey this summer.

Call me crazy but I believe we've entered (or re-entered?) into epic wild cycling stuff worthy of the best eras (or worst, depending upon "who" you're talking to) & the performances & drama we'll witness this summer will be the stuff of legends.

People can either enjoy the ride or complain ad-infinitum. But when Tennis, Football & other sports get such a free pass for decades, I'm kinda happy cycling is back on the menu in the world of mass sports entertainment.